To obtain a quality crop, it is important not only to choose a suitable variety, but also to properly care for it. The basic rule of horticulture is to observe crop rotation at the site. It’s useful to know after which crops it is possible or impossible to plant carrots.
- What is crop rotation
- Why do we need crop rotation
- Optimal precursors for carrots
- Worst crops for root crops
- Useful neighborhood
What is crop rotation
In order to get good harvests, it is imperative to observe the crop rotation rule. It assumes a favorable planting of plants on one often.
The rule is this:
- Some crops are depleting the soil. This soil needs rest.
- It is undesirable to plant one site for each a friend of plants that consume the same beneficial substances from the soil.
- Planting the same variety for 2 years in a row on the same plot is harmful to the soil.
- Certain plants saturate the land that is unique to them elements that make the soil favorable for planting other plants.
- Some non-bearing plants (such as chrysanthemums, marigolds) are let off ivayut of prolific plant pests.
- aisles are planted plants.
- For fruits and vegetables, the rule “tops replaced spines.”
Why crop rotation is needed
Using crop rotation rules allows you to:
- effectively use the plot;
- receive maximum harvests of fruits and vegetables;
- do not deplete the soil;
- reduce the time and effort spent on pest control;
- save on fertilizers.
Optimal precursors for carrots
Even for such an unpretentious plant as carrots, the rules about predecessors and neighbors in the plot are extremely important. Their observance allows you to get juicy, tasty fruits and not fight some pests. The following carrot precursors are considered favorable:
- cucumbers (after 1-2 years) ;
- all kinds of cabbage;
- types of onions and garlic.
It is allowed to plant carrots after garlic: it does not deplete the ground. The root crop is planted in the winter. Planting carrots after onions is also safe: it does not affect root crops in any way.
If it is necessary to plant the same plants on the same site for 2 consecutive years, they carry out green manure. The seeds of white mustard are sown on the garden.
In the case of the plants mentioned above, such a procedure is not required. Potatoes make the soil loose, favorable for planting carrots.Cucumbers from the entire list of plants fit the rule of tips and roots. Tomatoes and lettuce saturate the earth with trace elements necessary for the vegetable, and pests from them are not dangerous for root crops.
Also, all types of cabbage, zucchini, and pepper sowing can be carrots. The soil after solanaceous (for example, eggplant, zucchini) and sweet and sour peppers.
It is not forbidden to plant carrots after strawberries, but you should carefully dig the soil from the roots and plant the root crop the next year. The pests of strawberries and root crops are completely different, so nothing will threaten the crop.
Worst crops for root crops
There are a number of plants, planting after which harms the root crop. Gardeners do not recommend such precursors of carrots:
- beans (drains the soil);
- umbrella plants: anise, dill, coriander, cumin , fennel;
- beets or other root vegetables other than potatoes.
The most dangerous thing on this list is parsley. Its pests affect root crops – planting carrots on this site is useless. The same situation is with umbrella plants.
Partially, the situation can be saved by chemical treatment and soil fertilizer. But this will not give a 100% guarantee that a high and high-quality crop will be obtained.
Bad results will be given by carrots, which grew in soil previously fertilized with manure: the fruits deteriorate quickly.
Beets as a precursor to carrots are not recommended for planting for the same reason as beans: beets are a root crop that depletes and compacts the ground. Such soil is not suitable for other root crops in any way.
In the open garden, danger to plants comes from outside. Pests come from coniferous forests, plantings or forest belts. Root crop is dangerous for carrot flies, carrot leaf flakes, and bears.
Proponents of organic farming plant next set of non-bearing plants next to the beds:
- green alder branches (between the beds).
Camphor oil also fights against pests.
If the site is located in a field or near a forest, there is a chance of an attack on the crop of rodents and small animals. , plant plants whose smell is disgusting animals:
- m yata;
- black elderberry.
Elderberry juice is poisonous to animals and saturates the soil, which gives an effect against underground pests.
Almost all plants, including garlic, onion, strawberry, all kinds of cabbage, and zucchini, can be carrots. Tomato and pepper beds are also suitable. Observing the crop rotation rule, it is easy to get a plentiful crop and not to deplete the soil.