Gardeners face many problems when growing zucchini. One of the most common is rotting of various organs on a plant. we need to know why squash rot and how to deal with it.
- Nutrient deficiency
- Thickened plantings
- Powdery mildew
- Vertex rot
- Excessive watering
- Violation of crop rotation rules
- Useful tips
- Conclusion <
Bad weather is one of the most common causes of rotting not only of the ovaries, but also of other parts of the plants in the garden. Zucchini is a thermophilic crop. In conditions of high humidity and at cold temperatures, it begins to rot. In cold and damp plant immunity weakens, it is not able to form ovaries, therefore, it begins to get rid of them. In cool and cloudy weather, the plant suffers from a lack of pollinating insects. Unpowered flowers begin to rot, and the vegetable gets rid of them.
It will be possible to eliminate the problem of waterlogging if a film protection is installed over the plantings. This technique is effective in rainy summers.
This plant, belonging to the pumpkin family, reacts sharply to a lack of boron and iodine. With a shortage of them, the bushes begin to rot and drop buds.
It is easy to fix this problem. For this, plantings are sprayed with a solution of boric acid (2 g of the substance are diluted in 10 l of water). It is worth using liquid complex fertilizers, which include this microelement.
Due to the lack of iodine, zucchini not only rot and drop flowers, but also sparingly bear fruit. To avoid such negative consequences, it is required to treat the bushes with a solution of potassium iodide.
Thickness of plantings
If the zucchini rot the ovaries, the reason for this may be a violation of the landing pattern. The plant reaches a large size and grows rapidly, so it requires a lot of space on the site. When planting is thickened, rotting begins not only of the ovaries, but also of other parts – stems, leaves.
As a preventative measure, old, yellowed and dried leaves need to be removed, weed must be removed in time.
The optimal planting pattern plants – 60 × 50 cm. At this distance, they will fully develop and not suffer from a lack of light and oxygen.
One of the most dangerous diseases of this culture is powdery mildew. Signs of defeat: the appearance of a whitish coating in the form of flour, first on the surface of leaves, stems, then on inflorescences, small ovaries. The fungus spreads quickly. After some time, white spots become red, then blacken, causing rotting of leaves, inflorescences and ovaries.
Affected specimens should be removed from the site and burned. The diseased plants that can still be saved are treated with copper-containing preparations – copper sulfate or Bordeaux mixture. Before spraying, all damaged parts are removed. Processing is carried out no later than a month before the planned harvest.
A fungal disease called vertebral rot first affects the foliage, then switches to young ovaries and causes their mass rot. All affected parts are first deformed, wrinkled, then rot and fall.
The main reason for the appearance of vertebral rot on a vegetable marrow is the lack of potassium in the soil. To eliminate the problem, the bush is fertilized with potassium nitrate or another drug that contains this microelement.
To prevent and increase the plant’s resistance to this sore, a weakly concentrated iodide solution is introduced into the soil. Such a feed increases the resistance of plants to other viral and bacterial infections, which eliminates the risk of decay of the underground and aboveground parts. The solution consists of 3 drops of iodine per 10 liters of water. The bushes spill the root with a working solution or irrigate the aerial parts.
Despite the fact that zucchini is a moisture-loving crop, frequent watering is contraindicated. Vegetables react to an excess of moisture by decay of all organs and a massive discharge of inflorescences. The same reaction can be expected when watering the bushes with cold water. To fix the problem, you should adjust the watering on the bed and carry it out only as the soil dries.In rainy summers, watering is minimized.
Plants are watered by sprinkling, as strong pressure can lead to leaching of the roots and death of the entire bush. Water is poured under the root, avoiding moisture on the leaves and ovaries.
To prevent rotting of the root system, which causes the aboveground part to rot, it is important to regularly carry out the soil loosening procedure. This will increase its aeration and prevent stagnation of moisture in the soil.
Violation of crop rotation rules
Another reason why vegetables rot rot is a violation of crop rotation rules. This plant can not be planted in the same place, because there is a high risk of contracting diseases that provoke the appearance of rot.
Also, do not plant zucchini in the area where pumpkin, squash or cucumbers previously grew. Planting a pumpkin culture on such a site is allowed no earlier than 4 years after their cultivation.
If there is a problem of rotting zucchini, action is required based on the situation :
- If only the tip of the fetus is affected by rot, it is gently nibbled to the healthy part and burned. The cut-off place will be delayed, it will become dense, corky, and the fetus will continue to grow.
- Completely rotten ovaries are immediately removed, because rot is able to go to the area of the stalk and provoke rotting of the stem.
- In rainy summer, to avoid the appearance of rot on the bushes, it is better to remove old foliage, becauseit prevents access to light and good ventilation.
- To protect the fruit that has already begun to set in wet weather, put a cardboard or a plank under each copy that comes into contact with the soil.
- If the embryo decays, it is immediately removed, because nothing will grow out of it, moreover, it is a good environment for the propagation of pathogenic microflora and infection of healthy organs.
- When watering the beds, it is required to avoid getting water on the leaves and ovaries. Most suitable is drip irrigation, which completely eliminates the risk of moistening the stems, leaves, ovaries and their subsequent decay.
- Regular inspection of the bushes will help to avoid the development of diseases. The affected parts are immediately removed and burned, and the cut places are sprinkled with wood ash.
- All wilted flower buds are cut off in time, because over time they will rot and become carriers of the infection.
There are many reasons why zucchini begin to rot, but if all planting rules, care and growing requirements are met, this problem can be avoided. help ut simple and useful advice from experienced gardeners.