Cucumber variety The kid will like those gardeners who prefer small gherkins. Its characteristic speaks for itself: the bush culture is unpretentious in care and is universal in use.
- Characteristic of the variety
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Planting cucumbers
- Preparing the soil
- Processing from pests
- Useful tips
The fruits have a great taste and are not bitter, they are stored for a long time and do not deteriorate during transportation.
Cucumber Kid is an early bee-pollinated hybrid that yields crops already 40 days after emergence.
Description of cucumber Kid:
- the bushes in the culture are small, branchy shoots, their lateral shoots little developed;
- the length of the main stem does not exceed 40 cm;
- the fruits are dark green, covered with large tubercles;
- the shape of the cucumbers is elliptical, size – no more than 10 cm, weight – up to 110 g;
- fruits are tied in knots, in each – up to 6 pieces. Over the entire growing season, the bush gives up to 50 fruits.
Cucumbers have a great taste, they are juicy and tender. They are used both fresh, and for salting, and for canning. The description of the variety confirms that it is the favorite variety of housewives.
Advantages and disadvantages
The cucumber variety Malyshok has already become popular among domestic gardeners. It has a lot of advantages:
- is characterized by early maturity and excellent germination;
- has excellent taste, does not bite;
- is used fresh and is suitable for preservation ;
- differs in good transportability;
- is stored for up to 10 days without losing its presentation;
- differs in compactness;
- well resists painful conditions and pests.
The disadvantages of the bush can be considered intensive fruit formation. Cucumbers must be collected every day, otherwise they will overripe. Overripe fruits have a rough peel, and they become tasteless. The plant is grown exclusively in open ground.
Seeds for seedlings are sown in April-May, plants are planted in open ground in the first decade of June. Sprouts sow rarely, 50cmx50 cm, to a depth of 3-4 cm.
You can immediately sow the seeds in open ground, to a depth of not more than 2 cm. The soil should be warm enough until then, to 15.
The soil for this variety must be light and non-acidic. It is necessary to prepare the site in the fall, it should be well-lit. Slight dimming will not interfere with the normal growth of plants, and in hot summers even protect against the scorching sun.
Good predecessors of the culture are tomatoes, legumes, corn, early potato varieties. It is not recommended to sow Krepyshok after plants of the pumpkin family and garlic.
Before digging up the earth and fertilize with manure (a bucket for each m2). If there is no organic matter, they add mineral fertilizers (25 g of potassium salt and about 40 g of superphosphate).
In the spring, the bed is again dug and sprinkled with ammonium nitrate: 20 g. per 1 m2.
Seeds from the store do not require processing before sowing. Seeds collected on their own are soaked in a weak solution of nitrophosphate, and then placed in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours. This treatment will harden the seeds
Seeds are sown in seedling boxes or immediately in open ground. Instead of boxes, you can use disposable cups. For boxes and cups, you can use the finished substrate from the store, or take the soil from the site and add humus to it.
If the seeds are sown immediately in open ground, then this should be done in late May or early June. At night, the bed first needs to be covered with agrofibre or film.
Care for cucumbers The kid is the same as for other varieties. It consists in watering, fertilizing and loosening the soil.
The soil around the plant is regularly loosened, and weeds are not allowed to grow. Their roots can damage the root system of cucumbers, as well as provoke its decay. Constantly loose soil provides normal air access to the plant, which increases its immunity.
To attract bees, sugar syrup is used. They are sprayed with crops in dry weather.
Caring for bush crops is quite simple. But some nuances are still inherent.
Kid F1 requires frequent watering. Watering should be done with a weak pressure, a strong pressure leaches the soil and exposes the roots.
An ideal option would be:
- Drop watering.
Watering is done once a day. If the weather is dry and there is no rain, the plant is watered twice.
Variety Kid F1, like all crops of early ripening, grow very intensively, therefore they require not only constant watering, but also fertilizing. The first time the culture is fertilized before flowering, the following dressings are carried out every decade.
The culture is fed with the following solution:
- 10 l of water;
- urea, potassium sulfate, superphosphate – 1 tsp;
- 200 g mullein of porridge-like consistency.
Instead of manure, you can use Humanite (1 tbsp. Per 10 liters of water). In specialized stores you can also buy fertilizers “breadwinner”, “Fertility”, “Ideal”, etc.
Culture can be affected by fungal disease states. Fungal spores are found in the soil, seeds can also be infected. Therefore, both the seeds and the soil are treated before planting. The seed treatment was mentioned earlier, the soil is treated with Redomin Gold fungicide or watered with saline (200 g of salt per 10 liters of water), or a solution of potassium permanganate.
The most dangerous cucumber diseases:
- gray and white rot;
- root rot of cucumbers;
- olive spotting.
The gardener must constantly monitor the condition of Kid F1. When the first signs of the disease appear, respond quickly and conduct timely treatment, and timely top dressing is the best prevention of painful conditions. It strengthens the immunity of plants and allows you to fight infections and pests.
Experienced gardeners who are growing Baby F1, warn newcomers about possible mistakes:
- In bush crops, after the formation of 5-7 leaves, the tip of a new branch is plucked off, but this cannot be done with the Kid, as the bush is compact and the length of the main branch does not exceed 40 cm.
- You must adhere the distance between seedlings or seeds when planting. Too dense plantations are poorly lit by the sun, which provokes decay of stems and fruits.
- Seedlings before planting must be tempered. A week before planting, the sprouts are taken out into the fresh air.
- Prevent waterlogging of the soil and stagnation of water, otherwise the roots will rot.
- It is not recommended to sow seeds in the same bed.
Compliance with simple rules of care allows you to grow a variety of cucumbers Baby in various regions of the country.Its description speaks of its many advantages over other hybrids of early ripening.