Even among tomato varieties you can find unusual varieties. The tomato pepper-shaped giant does not fit into the general idea of this culture, and all thanks to the fruits that look like bell peppers.
- Description <
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Planting <
- Feeding <
- Pest Control
The variety was bred by Siberian scientists in 2005. It belongs to the pepper-shaped varieties, it is mid-ripening, and ripening occurs approximately 110-120 days after emergence in The average fruit weight is 150-200 g, under good conditions it can reach 250 g.
The shape of the fruit is elongated (up to 15 cm). The color of ripened vegetables is deep red.
Even at the cut 3-4-chamber fruits resemble pepper. There are few seeds inside. The pulp is fleshy and dense. The skin is smooth and hard. The taste is sweet, the aroma is saturated. Tomatoes contain a lot of sugars.
The bush is indeterminate, reaches a height of 1.5-2 m. The leaves are dark green, large. The plant is planted in greenhouses in regions with more severe climates. In the southern regions cultivation is also possible in open areas of soil.
Harvested from mid-July to the first frosts.
Advantages and disadvantages
Among the positive characteristics of the variety distinguish:
- High yield – with proper care from 1 square. m harvesting from 6 to 8 kg of fruit per season.
- Excellent taste.
- Good transportability due to the thick skin.
- Universality of application: suitability for food in various forms.
The disadvantages include a predisposition to vertebral rot.
Seedlings are planted in March. The box is placed in a warm place and covered with a film, which is removed after germination of seedlings. Further, seedlings are grown on the windowsill from the sunny side at a temperature of 16 ° C. When 1-2 leaves appear, it is transplanted into cups.
7-10 days before planting, they begin to harden:
- once a day, the plants are sprayed with cool water;
- every day the seedlings are taken out for 15-20 minutes outside.
The seedlings are transplanted to a permanent place 60-65 days after sowing, when it has 5-7 true leaves and one flower brush. Planted according to the scheme 60 × 50 cm. For 1 square. m should not be more than 4 bushes.
The bush needs to be formed.To do this, throughout the entire growth of the culture, they carry out pinching – remove lateral shoots, leave only 2-3 branches.
The plant requires a garter. For this purpose, vertical trellis is installed. To form a strong root system, weeding and hilling are carried out.
According to the description, the soil needs frequent moistening for high-quality growth of bushes. A moderate amount of warm water is applied in the evening 2-3 times a week. After drying, the soil is loosened.
To stimulate fruiting and increase productivity, the pepper-shaped giant is fertilized. Fertilizers are applied sequentially:
- The first top dressing is carried out 10-15 days after transplanting. This is necessary for better adaptation of the plant. Fertilizers must contain nitrogen and phosphorus (using artificial preparations, it is necessary to follow the proportions specified by the manufacturer). Organic substances such as chicken droppings or manure should be used. Solutions are prepared from them (10 g of liquid 250 g of organics).
- During flowering, superphosphate or other substances containing potassium and phosphorus are added (proportions according to the instructions for the preparation). You can use yeast or milk-iodine top dressing (yeast: 20 g of dry yeast is added to 10 liters of liquid; milk-iodine: 1 liter of sour milk or cheese and 2-3 drops of iodine are added to 10 liters of liquid).
- During the ripening period, superphosphate or nitrophosphate with sodium glutamate is used.Organic fertilizers using wood ash, iodine, boron, manganese are also effective (for 10 l of liquid 200 g of litter, 3 handfuls of ash, 2-3 drops of iodine, 2 g of boron and several crystals of manganese).
Among the characteristics of the variety, its resistance to diseases is distinguished, however, if the plant is improperly looked after, it will get vertex rot. The disease occurs due to insufficient watering and affects the fruits of the culture.
Lack of or too high calcium content in the fertilizer can cause harm, therefore, tomatoes need to be watered correctly and monitor the amount of substances added when fertilizing.
If you follow all the rules for growing tomato pepper-shaped giant, then blowing unusual appearance and yield.