Most often summer residents cultivate mid-season varieties of cabbage. Peculiarities of cultivation and medium-term maturity of vegetables allow you to get an excellent harvest not only in the regions of the middle zone, but also in Siberia or the Urals. Gardeners in the southern regions plant seeds with an interval of two weeks, and then grow a double crop over the summer.
- Characteristics of mid-season varieties and hybrids
- Mid-early varieties
- Mid-late varieties
- Mid-ripe hybrids
- Conclusion <
Characteristics of mid-ripening varieties and hybrids
Mid-ripe white cabbage of most varieties and hybrids does not differ in keeping quality. But the vegetable is good for preservation and preparation of salads, as well as for stews and stews. Delicious stews, cabbage rolls and fillings are made in pies, pies and dumplings. Middle-ripe cabbage has a juiciness and sweet taste. When frying, it emits a lot of liquid, but does not lose its specific flavor, unlike the early varieties.
White cabbage, belonging to the medium subspecies, gardeners are grown most often of all other varieties. This vegetable has excellent taste and vitamin-mineral composition. The weight of the heads can vary from 1 to 15 kg. All forks of medium cabbage are of moderate density. Mid-early forks can be stored for 60 days,
Among mid-ripening varieties, medium-early and medium-late plant species are distinguished. A separate group are hybrids.The only distinguishing feature of the varieties and hybrids is the storage duration.
The most commonly grown mid-ripening white cabbage varieties with a mid-early ripening period:
- Dobrovodskaya. Differs in gentle taste and lack of bitterness. Technical ripeness of the vegetable occurs on 130 days. It is well stored and suitable for the preparation of canned food and pickling. The forks on the slices are white, the outer leaves are light green.
- Megaton. Matures 100 days after the seeds have sprouted. Fruits are undemanding to storage and transportation conditions. Seedlings are resistant to disease. Individual heads of cabbage can weigh up to 15 kg. The taste of cabbage is sweet.
- Menza. Heads of this variety can reach maturity after 110 days after seed hatching. The shape of the fruit is spherical. Larger forks may have slightly flattened forks. A small stump and leaves tightly adjacent to it are visible on the slices. Taste is high, but the keeping quality of the crop is bad. Cultivation is difficult, because the seedlings need fertile nitrogenous soils.
- Glory 1305. The minimum growing season is 95 days. Productivity and keeping quality of a vegetable is high. The forks are dense, its color is from dark green at the root to whitish-cream at the apex. The fruit tastes sweet. To form a head of high mass and large size, abundant watering is needed.
Medium late varieties
Medium-late varieties of cabbage can be cultivated everywhere. The ripening period of the vegetable does not exceed 150 days after the seeds have sprouted.
The best varieties and their characteristics for growing:
- Gift. It is one of the best varieties of white cabbage with an average ripening period. The fruits are large, light green on the outside. The forks are tight. Well kept.
- Merchant. The vegetable is distinguished by high taste and snow-white pulp. Suitable for long-term storage in a dry basement. Cultivation is not difficult. Seedlings are resistant to disease and undemanding to light conditions. The head of cabbage is outside covered with green leaves, which can be huge, but the heads of cabbage rarely exceed a mass of 3.5 kg. On average, they weigh up to 2 kg.
- Golden hectare. It is one of the least whimsical varieties of mid-season white cabbage. Heads of cabbage differ in the big size and are famous for excellent tastes. The vegetable is suitable for fresh storage and canning.
- Hope. Forks of this variety have a spherical shape. On the cut, the sheets are creamy, and the stalk is white. The fruit is easily sorted into sheets, so it is often used to make stuffed cabbage.Since the first seedlings, technical ripeness of cabbage of this variety is achieved on 140 days. The taste does not feel bitterness.
- Kashirka 202. The fruit is dense and juicy. The shape of the fork is rounded. The stump is tall, but hollow and light. The color of the vegetable on the cut is cream-green, the taste is excellent. The only drawback of this variety is its demanding soil, which must be rich in nitrogen.
It is much easier to grow mid-season hybrids of cabbage than varietal plants.
The most popular medium-sized hybrids:
- Midor F1. A head of slightly flattened, light green color. The stump is medium sized. The sheets are elastic and juicy, fit tightly to each other. Matures in 140-150 days. Productivity is about 12 kg per 1 sq. Km. m.
- Calibro F1. The head of cabbage is round in shape, light in color. A small stump is visible on the cut. The sheets are thin and juicy. Matures in 140 days. Productivity is 9 kg per 1 sq. Km. m.
- Gloria F1. The head of cabbage is round in shape, dark green in color. Leaves in forks are medium in size and fit snugly. Technical ripeness of a vegetable occurs on average for 120 days. Productivity is 8 kg per 1 sq. Km. m. The hybrid is resistant to Fusarium.
- Krautman F1. Plants of this variety are resistant to many diseases of cabbage. It can be stored for a long time. With proper care, it can form gigantic forks.The stump is small in them, and the sheets are elastic and thick, tightly adjacent to each other. The heads of the hybrid are taut and weighty regardless of size.
- Team leader F1. The fruits of this hybrid are suitable for long-term storage. Vegetable retains juiciness for 5 months. The ripening term of the fork is 120 days. The sliced vegetable is snow-white, the stalk is short but wide. The seedlings are resistant to drought.
In order to grow an excellent crop of mid-season white cabbage, you need to choose the best varieties. Important characteristics for Each gardener is the weight of the heads, their taste and the duration of storage.
The quality of the crop is affected by the mineral composition of the soil, as well as the timeliness of watering the plants. Residents of regions with a short summer also need to be careful about changes in temperature and daylight hours.