Pumpkin Muscat de Provence appeared in France. It is unpretentious in the care and cultivation, and with proper storage, it retains its qualities until spring. The composition of the nutrients in this product gives odds to many vegetables.
- General characteristic
- Useful properties
- Planting pumpkins
- Care <
- Harvesting and storage of the harvest
- Diseases and pests
Muscat Provence has bright orange saturated color externally and internally and has a smooth ribbed shape. It is characterized by high productivity. The lashes quickly grow and are about 8 m in length.
The pulp of a ripe vegetable has a very dense texture, so it can be stored for a long time. The fruits are large – weigh 8-10 kg. The walls are thick, the texture is dense.
Pumpkin has a pleasant aroma and sweet taste .
The plant very well weaves on special networks or on the ground. Mature fruits can be harvested from early August until almost the first frosts.
In characterization, the most valuable in nutmeg pumpkin is its low calorie content and low amount of sucrose , which is why this variety is considered a dietary product. The pulp has a delicate sweet taste and firm texture, which will be similar to the fruits of young almonds.
Pumpkin is universal – it is useful both in fresh (raw) and in heat-treated form.
Daily use will contribute to:
- the removal of excess water from organism;
- the disappearance of edema caused by excess fluid;
- beneficial effects on the nervous system (with systematic use in food);
- normalization of metabolism;
- better digestion, as it is not contraindicated in various diets;
- enriching the skin with useful microelements;
- pumpkin seeds (raw) cleanse the intestines from parasites.
Pumpkin de Provence matures in approximately 110-120 days. Seeds of this variety must be purchased from trusted sources, as you can often find a fake or low-quality product.
The price of a package can vary from 36 to 400 rubles (it all depends on quality and quantity).
Usually in early spring in at home, seedlings are germinated from seeds in order to plant it in the ground in the first half of May.
Seeds are planted in special soil:
- soil, which can be bought in stores (it can be universal or you can use the mixture for cucumbers);
- soil can do it yourself: from small sawdust, humus peat (1: 2: 1), you can add nitromophos to this mixture (1 tsp per 1 kg of soil).
By the time the seedlings are planted should reach 10-12 cm and have at least 4 formed leaves. According to technology, it is better to grow seedlings in special peat pots, and then plant the plant in the ground with them.
Growing will be better on the ground where nightshade cultivated last year. Do not plant after plants of the same type: cucumbers, zucchini, onions.
The soil must be fluffed before planting (fertilizers must be added to it in autumn). You need to plant seedlings at the rate of 1 plant per 1 m².
Pumpkin Muscat de Provence is very simple to grow. The plant is undemanding neither to heat, nor to light, nor to the composition of the soil, but we must remember that the pumpkin needs to be fertilized. It needs additional nutrients.
It is positive about additional feeding, they are effective if the plant is planted in a soil that is poor in nutrients. Do not forget about weeding, remove weed on time.
Pumpkin weaves quickly, for it you need to allocate more space or make special sets so that it weaves upward, but not high, because the fruits are heavy.
- Watering the seedlings after transplanting into the soil is necessary at an outdoor temperature above 25 ° C for 3-4 days. It is necessary to pour carefully – under the bush, on the ground, without pouring water on the leaves. This is best done in the evening so that the sun’s rays do not form a crust.
- For top dressing, you need to use purchased drugs, which you just need to dilute with water at home, according to the instructions. These mixtures already contain all the necessary elements. You can use Nitroammophoska, diluting it with water (10 g per 7 liters of water).
The main thing is not to overdo it with fertilizers so that the plant does not burn out from an excess of nutrients.
Harvesting and storage of crops
Provencal pumpkin is harvested in late autumn – after collecting all vegetables, in the second half of October.
The very first maturity indicator is dry and a very hard ponytail. The skin of the pumpkin becomes tough, a lot of effort needs to be made when cutting it.
You need to remove it before the freeze starts, otherwise it will not be stored (it will begin to deteriorate).You need to keep the fruits in a place where it is dark and cool: the temperature should not exceed 12-14 ° C and be sure to adhere to air humidity – about 50-70%.
The position of the fruits should be tail up and they should not touch. Damaged ones will need to be eaten first.
Diseases and pests
According to the variety description, Provence pumpkin is exposed to some diseases and pests.
- Bacteriosis – These are small yellowish and red spots on the surface of the leaves, when they appear, the plant begins to dry out. Bacteriosis should be removed with copper sulfate diluted with water.
- White rot – the process of plant destruction by coating the surface of a pumpkin with a white coating. Due to the violation of moisture in the soil, this rot penetrates from the surface into the fetus, causing harm to it. You can remove the rot using crushed activated carbon (sprinkle on the affected areas) or a solution of copper sulfate.
- Powdery mildew – leaves and fruits themselves are covered with white drops, similar to dew, because of them the pumpkin begins to dry out. The reason for this is fungal spores, they must be disposed of by treating seedlings with a 70% solution of colloidal sulfur.
- Spider mite – it wraps the plant with sticky cobwebs, clogging its pores. The plant begins to rot. To get rid of the tick, you need to prepare a tincture of the husks of garlic and onions, spray the pumpkin once a day.
To prevent diseases, you can use drugs that are used to grow cucumbers, watermelons, melons, squash .