Pruning orchid roots is an important part of plant care. But you need to trim the roots correctly and in a timely manner. Otherwise, there is a risk of irreparable harm to the phalaenopsis, which can subsequently cause the death of the flower.
- When and why do the roots
- Tools and accessories
When and why pruned roots
The peculiarity of phalaenopsis is the way of respiration. In the wild, they grow on the bark of trees and therefore do not need a substrate. The length of the roots of tropical butterflies reaches several meters.
In the natural environment, the plant copes with the task of replacing dry and diseased shoots on its own.When growing domesticated species, a person will have to cut the roots of the orchid, but this should only be done if:
- transplanted into fresh soil or when propagating;
- natural drying out or age-related death;
- rotting of the shoots.
You can also determine what the roots of the phalaenopsis need to be cut off by changing the color. Healthy shoots that can absorb moisture and minerals from the air and substrate have thick walls and are painted white. As it dries, the shade changes, and the parts of the nutrient system dry out.
Tools and devices
To remove diseased and dried roots, gardeners will need the following tools, substances and devices:
- Scissors or pruners. These devices should be sharp enough to bite shoots of various thicknesses from the first press.
- Ethyl 96% alcohol or other antiseptic for processing tools. Fire or natural products are also allowed.
- Rubber medical gloves. This product will not only protect the skin of the hands, but also protect the rhizomes from contact with human biological fluids.
- Charcoal or activated carbon, ground into powder. These substances will help protect the trimmed areas of shoots from drying out and penetrating into open sections of pathogens.
Also during the work you will need oilcloth and any detergents to disinfect the pot. If the container becomes cloudy and an indelible coating appears inside, then it will have to be replaced with a new one.
Anyone who wants to know how to trim the aerial roots from an orchid, it is necessary to study and observe the sequence of work. Cutting is most convenient on a wide table covered with oilcloth. Step-by-step instruction:
- Wear gloves on your hands. Treat them and tools with an antiseptic.
- Move the phalaenopsis pot to a well-lit place.
- Lay the container on its side and carefully take out the flower along with a lump of substrate.
- Release the shoots from the ground and untangle them if possible.
- Cut dry with sharp scissors or secateurs or affected roots.
- Sprinkle the trimmed shoots with a powder of an antiseptic that can absorb juice.
Before putting the phalaenopsis back into the pot, the container should be washed, dried and treat with any bacterial suppressant. The substrate must also be replaced with fresh. These actions will protect the plant from the penetration of a secondary infection, because under the cut off shoots a favorable flora is formed for the development of pathogenic organisms.
It is desirable to cut off the aerial roots of an orchid during the growing moon (from the 3rd to the 12th lunar day). If phalaenopsis needs urgent treatment, then you should not wait for favorable days, because the longer the inactivity, the shoots will be affected.
After trimming phalaenopsis with cut shoots needs special care.
The main requirements during the recovery period are:
- protection against scorching sunlight;
- prevention pest occurrence her and the prevention of infection with a fungus.
Cropped shoots are susceptible to the penetration of viruses and bacteria, and the flowers themselves will gain strength for a long time.
Provide the plant with the right amount of moisture after pruning the air shoots by placing the pot in water or succinic acid solution. In the first case, it is advisable to place containers with orchids in vessels with water, the level of which should reach the base of the vessels. As evaporation should be added. In the second case, the pots should be placed in the solution no more than once every 3 days, and the rest of the time keep phalaenopsis on the windowsill.
An active composition that can accelerate the healing of plants and the emergence of shoots is prepared from:
- 1 liter of warm water;
- 4 tablets of succinic acid;
- 1 ampoule of vitamin B12 (sold in a pharmacy).
With proper care, young shoots on the phalaenopsis will begin to appear after 30 days. After about 60 days, a new leaf will appear, followed by a flower bud.
Phalaenopsis are able to please their owners with plentiful and long flowering. Natural flowers grown by humans in homes are more whimsical to living conditions than their wild relatives, because such specimens were bred more artificially.
It is easy to cut aerial roots from orchids if you know and follow the rules and observe agricultural practices . A simple procedure helps the plant regain strength and get rid of unnecessary ballast in the form of lifeless processes, and is also one of the stages of caring for indoor epiphyte.