The greenhouse for polycarbonate cucumbers allows you to grow vegetables in your home garden throughout the calendar year. In greenhouse conditions, you can create conditions suitable for growing cucumber crops so that cucumbers bear fruit from early spring to late fall.
- Advantages of polycarbonate
- How to choose polycarbonate
- Frame and roof of the greenhouse design
- Mounting on a wooden frame
- Mounting on a metal frame
- Greenhouse roof
- Internal filling of the greenhouse
- Beds <
- Tips for growing
Advantages of polycarbonate
Steam A nickname for polycarbonate cucumbers, which is easy to make, is very popular among summer residents due to the special technical characteristics of the material:
- polycarbonate sheets are quite reliable and withstand mechanical and physical loads, while maintaining a constructive basis when accumulated on its surface is a significant amount of snow, their maximum permissible level of load, which the sheets are able to withstand, is in the range from 100 to 150 kg per 1 square.m area, depending on the density of the material,
- practical material does not require much maintenance, it is easy to assemble and if necessary, move to a new place to dismantle,
- sufficient durability and wear resistance of polycarbonate allows the use of a greenhouse for cucumbers for a long time, the life of its operation reaches 20 years,
- the moisture-resistant surface does not allow unnecessary rainfall and does not respond to outside climate change,
- the frost-resistant design of the greenhouse allows it to withstand low temperatures Regular regimes from the outside, supporting the cucumber with the necessary microclimate outside.
Among the main advantages of using polycarbonate for greenhouses when growing vegetables is the fact that the material consisting of honeycombs uniformly transmits solar heat.
How to choose polycarbonate
When choosing polycarbonate for a greenhouse design, it is important to pay attention to some details:
- most suitable for greenhouses, the thickness of the polycarbonate sheet is from 4 to 8 mm,
- the sheets must be plastic, since in the manufacture of a polycarbonate greenhouse they will have to be bent by hand in some cases to attach supports to metal pipes,
- excessively light weight polycarbonate sheet – the reason why you should abandon such a brittle material is not intended for building a greenhouse, the classic weight of a polycarbonate sheet measuring 2.1 m * 6.0 m is from 9 to 10 kg.
Frame and roof of the greenhouse design
The greenhouse frame, when self-constructed, is usually assembled from metal profiles, for which galvanized or metal arcs are suitable. Some people prefer to make a greenhouse frame from wooden pores, but we must not forget that this is not the best design, and the service life of a wooden frame is much shorter.
For any greenhouse frame base required. Moreover, for metal structures, a concrete foundation is often poured at a depth below the level of freezing of soil. When mounting wooden frames, some are limited to concrete posts filled with concrete or metal pipes are concreted.
Cement (1 kg), fine sand (2.5 -3 kg), gravel or broken stone (3 4 kg) are suitable as a mixture for a reliable concrete base.
Installation on a wooden frame
Do-it-yourself, constructed of wooden planks and boards, greenhouse frame before fixing the polycarbonate on it is covered with paint or varnish to extend its life. Mount the greenhouse structure according to the drawing by means of a drill, fastening the parts with dowels.
Mounting on a metal frame
Before coating the metal frame of the greenhouse, it is covered with anti-corrosion enamel. The parts are fastened together by welding, and the polycarbonate sheets are bolted.
The roof can be single-pitched, gable or broken with many windows to allow ventilation of the greenhouse.
It is constructed as an extension, for example, to the wall of a country house, placing the roof slope at an angle. The length of the roof is usually not more than 3.0-4.5 m, and the slope angle is calculated taking into account the climate of a particular region. A semi-farm acts as a bearing part for a pitched roof.
Such a greenhouse assumes that its roof consists of two parts (slopes), interconnected at an angle from 24 ’to 30’. The width of the gable roof is 30, -5.0 m, and the length can be different. Strength depends on the presence of a ridge connecting the slopes – the top of the roof.
Internal filling of the greenhouse
Creating a favorable climate for growing cucumbers depends on the proper internal filling of the greenhouse.
The height of the beds for growing cucumbers is calculated based on the plant variety. A bed made high can also be filled with useful components to the maximum, and this will favorably affect early fruiting.
In the greenhouse, you can build beds, taking into account their use for cucumbers for at least 5-7 years, for which it is necessary:
- to dig a trench about 1.5 m wide and 1 m deep, 5-2 shovels,
- lay branches of trees and wood remains across the excavated trench, for the first layer birch acts as a good material, which has disinfectant properties,
- the voids formed will be filled with sawdust,
- on top, cover everything with a 10cm layer of straw, on top of which lay paper or cardboard sheets,
- on a paper coating of us dig fresh plant waste left after processing the plants, then last year’s half-ripe foliage,
- put the last finishing layer with fresh compost mixed with garden soil.
so that such a bed construction didn’t crumble, for it support walls are installed in the form of wooden boxes or slate sheets.
Tips for growing
Tips from experienced gardeners who are adapted to grow cucumbers in a greenhouse and polycarbonate, recommend not making a mini borage, but to erect a structure high oh no less than the growth of the owner. Such a height will provide easy and complete care for the plants grown, provide them with plenty of space and fresh air.
The height of the greenhouse should be at least 1.8-2.0 m, width – from 2-4 m and wider. To make it easier to care for the plants inside the greenhouse, I make paths.
If there is no opening window leaves in the greenhouse design, too high a thermal regime will be created, leading to illnesses and withering of cucumbers.If you resort to frequent watering in such cases, you can achieve rotting cucumber bushes. However, the excessive ventilation of the greenhouse with drafts is also not welcomed by the vegetable crop.