For many gardeners growing tomatoes using the Kizima method will be an interesting experience with which you can get a good crop with less effort without additional watering.
- Method characteristic
- Disadvantages <
- Growing seedlings
- Topping seedlings
Description of the method
Created by Galina Kizima The method for planting and growing garden crops “for the reasonably lazy” has been tried and supported by many summer residents.
The method of growing tomato seedlings is sometimes called “Moscow seedlings.” It differs from the usual one in that the seeds are sown not in ordinary pots or cups, but in small cylinders from the soil, wrapped in a thick plastic film. This gives the plants moisture needed for germination and sprout formation.
This method of growing, apparently, appeared during the general shortage, when gardeners were not able to purchase ordinary plastic cassettes.
- a large number of sprouts are placed on the warm windowsill;
- easy and quick dive: for this the package unfolds , seedlings are carefully removed from the soil;
- significant soil savings: for 50 plants you need only 2.5 kg. land mixture;
- plants almost do not suffer from ordinary sore seedlings (black stalk);
- each sprout has a well-developed strong stalk;
- seed germination is easy to control through transparent walls.
- seedlings grow slowly due to a comparative lack of light, it needs to be planted a little earlier;
- the root system of plants is formed relatively weak and requires attention;
- the method is suitable for cold-resistant tomatoes, for heat-loving ones you need to dive.
The method involves planting germinated and not germinated seeds. For a tomato, it is better to use the first option. Processing seeds for sowing is carried out in the usual manner: sorted and pickled for disease prevention.
To improve germination, the seeds are soaked before sowing in a growth stimulator for 3 days (the seeds are spread on a gauze cloth moistened with a solution and covered with a plastic bag on top) . When the sprouts hatch, the seedlings are planted in bags.
For planting you need to prepare:
- pieces of plastic film 20 cm each;
- soil mixture;
- bank rubber bands for money.
- warm water for irrigation.
To plant seedlings, proceed as follows:
- spread a square from the film on the table;
- put a handful of soil on the edge ;
- lay the sprout so that the lower leaves are above the film;
- carefully cover the roots with the earth;
- bend the edges of the film, formed s package;
- design fix elastics
One of the drawbacks of this method: the laboriousness of the formation of containers for seedlings of each plant.. If you grow 15-20 pieces of seedlings, this method is quite suitable. But for those gardeners who grow several tens or even hundreds of seedling roots, the process is too time-consuming.
Prepared convolutions are tightly placed in a box and put in a warm place, plentifully watered with warm water. In the future, seedlings need to be watered after the soil dries up.
For seedlings without watering, according to the method of Galina Kizima, it is best to use hybrids; Sowing should be carried out at the end of March.After the seedlings are ready for planting in the garden or in the greenhouse, they are treated with a solution of the “Healthy Garden” agent 3-4 days before transportation to allow it to acclimatize better.
Topping up seedlings
Seedlings should be fed at least three times:
- the first 10 days after picking with a diluted mullein at the rate of a liter of manure per bucket of water. After settling, the liquid is drained and the seedlings are watered using a watering can with a long narrow nose;
- the second after the same period of time, but ready-made nitrogen-phosphorus liquid fertilizers are used;
- the third in 7-10 days with a solution of mullein, crushed wood ash is used to mulch the soil.
From the moment of germination to the seedlings in the soil, this method should take no more than 45 days.
Planting in the ground
A feature of growing tomatoes using this technology is the exclusion of frequent sex willow plants. Before planting, dig a hole for each sprout.
Put 5 kg of compost on the bottom, a glass of ash, at the end of a teaspoon of potassium permanganate (can be replaced with a tablespoon of concentrated superphosphate fertilizer). The components are thoroughly mixed, 1-2 buckets of water are poured into the pit. After some time, the water is absorbed, after which you should start planting tomatoes.
The root system of the tomatoes grown in the film is not strong enough, so the plants are carefully planted vertically in the hole. In the soil should be at least half the plant (but not more than 5 centimeters). The roots are gently covered with earth, rammed with soil. The upper part of the plant is tied to a peg. To compact the soil, a bucket of water is poured under the root of the tomato. The surface of the beds is mulched. The plant will not require any more watering or feeding.
Seedlings can be planted in the greenhouse. In this case, she should be provided with drip irrigation. To do this, place plastic bottles filled with water with punctured holes between the plants between the plants.
Planting tomatoes without watering according to the method of Galina Kizima has many advantages. Adapting the method to the climate and soil type, greenhouse or open ground, you can get an excellent crop.