A fungus on a tomato can ruin the entire future crop. Seeds, seedlings, healthy bushes are equally susceptible to fungal diseases, expressed by different external symptoms. Rot on fruits and leaves should alert the gardener. Only timely treatment of tomatoes from root rot with homemade and purchased products will save the harvest.
- Characteristic of the disease
- Signs of the rotting process
- Treating the plant
- Home treatment
- Methods of medical treatment
- Conclusion <
From tomato root rot is difficult to get rid of, and every day of procrastination leads to the rapid spread of a fungal disease.It is dangerous to eat infected fruits. Healing the stems and treating the weak tomatoes doesn’t do much in the treatment of rot.
Characteristics of the disease
The phenomenon of root and root rot is familiar to every experienced gardener. getting into a favorable environment, quickly spread to healthy plants. Neighboring crops: cucumbers or cabbage can suffer from pathogenic microorganisms. Root rot of tomatoes affects plants at any stage of development. Seedlings in the greenhouse are not immune from fungal diseases. Rot appears on a crop planted on open ground and protected in a greenhouse.
Danger of fungal rot:
- arises at any time of the year;
- infects tomatoes in a greenhouse and on an open land plot;
- rapidly spreads;
- is carried by the wind from a diseased crop to healthy plants;
- is carried by insects and through inventory;
- penetrate the plant through cuts and breaks.
From tomato disease, root rot can lose all seedlings. It is very difficult to harvest a good crop from infected bushes, and fungal spores remain in the soil and threaten new crops in the future.
If the diseased plants are not treated, gradually all nearby bushes will wither. To prevent such a problem, gardeners should pay special attention to planting and fertilizing tomatoes.
Signs of the process of decay
It is not difficult to recognize the symptoms of a fungal disease if you properly care for the crop. First of all, rot affects the root part of tomatoes, and the disease manifests itself with other signs:
- most of the stem is thinning;
- the stems begin to “lean” to the ground;
- seedlings die almost immediately;
- the leaves dry in the sun (after the leaves fall off, new leaves appear, which soon also dry);
- the stalk becomes covered with dark spots;
- the leg of the plant gradually blackens.
The general tone of the plant deteriorates sharply, which is difficult not to notice even for a novice gardener.Emerging shoots do not have time to grow and die immediately. The appearance of new foliage is only a temporary improvement in the state of the stem.
As soon as the tomato leg begins to turn black, the treatment of the diseased stem becomes more complicated. In the period when the “symptoms” of a fungal disease appear, abundant watering of the plant stops. It is worth protecting the diseased culture from the rapid spread of fungus.
After revealing root rot in tomatoes, the gardener carries out a series of sequential measures. Only those plants that have begun to fade are treated, but bushes with black stems and legs cannot be saved. Tomatoes (seedlings or bushes) can be cured by folk recipes on a natural basis or by means that are designed to combat rot. Plant treatment includes thorough soil treatment, transplanting seedlings and further disease prevention.
The soil must be fertilized modernly: before planting, it is disinfected, fed with 1 or several fertilizers during tomato growth, after the diseased specimens are planted, the soil is again cleaned and dried . So that the soil does not tolerate fungal spores, it should be prepared before planting and fertilized after it – for planting other crops.
Root disease of tomatoes, and in the common people “rot” – an infection that can damage tomatoes through cucumbers or other infected plants. Soil is the carrier of the disease, so the root is the first to suffer. A basal infection is removed using homemade remedies. The composition of effective solutions:
- potassium chloride (add 30 grams of potassium powder to a bucket of water of 10 liters);
- calcium nitrate (about 5 drops per liter of purified water);
- superphosphate (about 10 grams), dissolved in a liter of warm water.
To prevent rot from spreading to other crops, it is necessary to carefully process the leaves and stems of neighboring crops. For tomatoes, use whey with water (you can add useful components).
Use a homemade preparation to remove rot from the fruit and the root part of the stems. For tomatoes, homemade products are safe. The frequency of processing tomatoes (the root system is processed) should not exceed three times a week.
Methods of drug treatment
Root rot in tomato plants is treated using inexpensive means purchased in the store. If fungi are found in a greenhouse or in a garden, tomato treatment is carried out in several stages: spoiled stems are cut off and the places of cuts are sprinkled with sulfur. Small damage to the tomato (in seedlings and bushes) must be treated with colloidal sulfur.
In a greenhouse or in a garden, the plant is treated with Kuproksat (one part of the drug is bred into two parts of water). Bordeaux liquid shows good results in the fight against infection in a tomato, regardless of where they were planted (in the field or in the greenhouse). The purchased powder is diluted in 1 liter of water. Purchased products must be alternated with natural solutions to protect plants from fungus.
Prophylaxis is always easier than destroying diseased shoots. A prudent gardener fertilizes the soil in advance and strengthens the plant in order to get a good harvest soon.
Prevention is carried out until the fall, and before harvesting only natural or home-made fertilizers are used:
- Before planting in a greenhouse, it is best to choose varieties that are resistant to fungal disease.
- The soil for planting undergoes thorough heat treatment. Additionally, the soil is washed with a solution of potassium permanganate (several drops of the drug are diluted per liter of water) and dried.
- Seedlings are planted (in a greenhouse or on an open land plot) at a short distance from each other. Crowding should not be allowed.
- The soil is fertilized with wood ash.
- Mineral complexes are used to fertilize the soil twice a month.
- Fitosporin is used to treat bushes once a month. .
- Sick shoots are immediately removed from the bushes.
An important condition for proper prevention is systematic and consistent. If the farmer has a schedule for watering and fertilizing the soil, the probability of infection with fungi is very low.
Fungal diseases multiply faster in a humid environment Therefore, the greenhouse is periodically cleaned of moisture (remains on the walls or film).Natural supplements, such as whey, will help protect the plant from any external threat. For these purposes, 1 part of serum and 1 part of water are bred.
Tomatoes are unpretentious crops that need little care. If a problem arises and the root system of the plant begins to rot, the gardener should take radical measures: remove diseased stems, treat all the bushes in the neighborhood and strengthen the weakened stems before harvesting.