It’s hard to believe that cute and tender creatures like rabbits can bite. Nevertheless, despite the external characteristics and angelic appearance, they can be quite moody, it depends on their nature.
- Why is this happening
- Most common causes
- Factors Affecting Animal Behavior
- How to deal with the situation
To find out what kind of pet a character is, it is enough to observe its behavior and behavior in different cases. There are situations when a rabbit bites for no apparent reason. how rabbits bite and why they do it.
Why is this happening
Many newcomers faced with this situation do not understand why rabbits bite. not talking about aggression.
Do domestic decorative rabbits bite? Expressing dissatisfaction, they squeak, twitch sharply or bite slightly. They do not understand that in this way they can hurt or offend the owner. Often they bite their hand after feeding, asking for another treat.
Depending on how the bunnies bite, you can understand whether this was done intentionally or not.
If the animal bit the person and continues to attack, kick, push, try to bite again, maybe he did not notice that provoked him.As a result, the pet has felt the danger and is trying to protect itself from it.
If it is a light and one-time bite, the fluffy simply asks for additional sweets. The bite may be light, but up to blood. The animal cannot correctly calculate the strength.
The most common reasons
It often happens that the eared bitten a person because he smells of food he eats or eats on his hand : carrot, apple, parsley, honey or chocolate. Rabbits are big sweet tooth, but they must be watched very carefully, as they are prone to obesity. As a result, incidents occur from time to time.
Rabbits are very curious animals, they often “try” new objects with the help of a bite, thus showing interest or trying to get rid of boredom.
When cleaning an animal’s cage, it is important to remember that this is a kind of invasion of its territory, with the help of a bite the eared can defend. He does not understand what is happening. It is best to get a pet at the time of cleaning.
After the pet is put in order, you need to return everything to its place, so that the drinker hangs in the right place, the feeder stood where it was. The familiar environment will make it clear to the pet that there is nothing wrong with such a procedure and that everything will always return to its place.
Another option why a rabbit bites is the fact that the pet is deficient in calcium and vitamins. Since the animals are very sensitive to their teeth, they begin to constantly bite everything, trying to find calcium. To avoid such situations, it is advisable for animals to give gnawing branches of fruit trees (once a week). Another option is to buy a special chalk with various vitamin supplements.
Factors affecting the behavior of the animal
There are several factors affecting the behavior of the rabbit:
- Oversupply of sexual tension: if a pet starts running around, jumping high and biting its legs, it means that it is overexcited.
- Attraction of attention. If, according to the pet, the owner pays him an insufficient amount of time, he can bite to remind himself. He does not understand that this can be painful. The way out of the situation is to stroke the fluffies more often, carry them in your arms, and walk with them. A cage is not the only thing that a rabbit can consider property. Aggression also manifests itself if a stranger takes him in his arms or takes the place he loves.
Is a rabbit bite really dangerous? All veterinarians say no. It cannot cause death. It will be enough just to disinfect the site of the bite and stick it with adhesive tape. If the wound was deep, it is advisable to consult a doctor.
The only danger is that domestic rabbits can tolerate rabies, but this is very rare. For this, it is necessary that the eared contact with the carrier of the disease.
Do not touch the rabbit and her child. Like any mother, the female will protect her child. She can growl and bite.
How to handle the situation
Few people know how to wean a rabbit to bite. The general rules are: increased attention to the pet, constant care, affection and desire to make the pet’s life perfect.
- Do not create stress for the animal. Stress always develops into fear and can cause aggression. The main thing is never to pull an animal out of its cage or place of residence without its “consent”. No need to chase the eared one, catch it and forcefully hold it in your hands. Better to wait until he himself wants to get out. Rabbits are very curious by nature, so they won’t take long to wait.
- If you want to approach the cage, you need to start talking to the animal, it is advisable to speak softly and softly, do not rise above the cage. It’s better to sit down so that you are on the same level with her. It is best to contact the animal by the name that it was given to, it will quickly get used to this word and voice, will cease to be afraid.
- It is strictly forbidden to beat, kick or sharply stroke the animal, all this only increases its fear.
- When manifesting sexual aggression, you need to think about a medical solution to the problem: castration or sterilization.
- You should allow the animal to trust, for this you need to take it in your hands, give a treat and stroke. Extremely positive emotions will help to build confidence.
- The pet you just bought must be put in a new cage and not touched for several days. He must get used to the new environment, sounds, smells, calm down and adapt. A pet may not eat for several days, this is not normal, but it is also impossible to force him to eat. In such a period, you can give him something tasty. After a few days, you can try to make contact. Hands should be held above the head of the pet and gently stroking it, in no case touching the nose. For rabbits, the nose is a pain point.
- Often you can find “advice” on the Internet that if you bite a rabbit, you need to press his head to the floor so that he understands who is in charge. This cannot be done. This will cause resistance and fear that they might kill him.
- If the pet rebels, begins to rush about in the cage, topple food, that’s okay. You just need to wait until he calms down, and try again to pet and give yummy.
The main thing is to always be calm, not try to do something against the will of the pet and give him enough attention, then there won’t be any problems with the rabbit biting his finger.