The spider mite on cucumbers is a fairly common phenomenon, and although most gardeners take some measures to combat this pest, they often turn out to be insufficient or ineffective. Let’s figure out how to deal with the spider mite on cucumbers.
- Tick damage
- Symptoms of the disease
- Preventive measures
- Biological agents
- Popular methods
Harm of a tick
Pests of crops cause significant damage to plants, these insects settle on the plants or in the ground, damaging the roots, leaves, pl odes, which negatively affects productivity.
The pest is not dangerous for humans, but harmful for cucumbers. A spider mite sucks cucumber juice from the leaves of the crop, and photosynthesis is disturbed if the disease progresses during fruiting ovary and cucumbers are affected. The plant’s immunity decreases, it becomes vulnerable to various infections, gradually dries up and finally dies.
The affected culture is susceptible to gray rot, as favorable conditions for its occurrence are formed.
All terrestrial organs are in a deplorable state, the cucumber predator even infects the fruits.
The spider mite on cucumbers is an alarm for vegetable growers.If you do not take any measures to combat the dangerous predator, after some time you will have to deal with the spider mite on cucumbers throughout the site.
Symptoms of the disease
The tick appears and begins to multiply exclusively in an environment with high temperature and increased air dryness. In winter, the pest climbs into dry leaves, the topsoil, manure and greenhouse premises, especially likes to hide in the corners.
What signs indicate the presence of insects and how can they be recognized? Symptoms of the appearance of a dangerous enemy of cucumbers are as follows:
- the appearance of light dots on the back of the leaf;
- slower growth of the crop;
- yellowing of the leaves.
The presence of at least one sign should alert the gardener. Lost time will cost the plants life, so you must fight right away.
Instead of choosing the best way to get rid of the tick invasion on cucumbers in the future, it’s better think how to prevent it. There are several methods to deal with dangerous insects.Experienced vegetable growers recommend a number of agricultural activities:
- after harvesting, the stems, leaves and roots of plants are destroyed;
- the soil is carefully dug up before sowing cucumbers, since pests in the winter hiding in the ground;
- regularly remove and destroy weeds, since the insect lives on them;
- the affected leaves are regularly torn off and then buried or burnt;
- sown culture after favorable predecessors: various types of cabbage and tomatoes;
- not recommended Call of a culture of the same area for several years.
If you notice the first symptoms of the pest gardeners should be treated with biologics plantations. Some vegetable growers are effectively using popular measures to combat a dangerous enemy.
What remedies will help rid cucumbers of spider mites? Some gardeners treat plants with insecticides, but these drugs do not bring much benefit. Insecto-acaricides and acaricides will allow to destroy a dangerous enemy, but you need to use these funds carefully, since they are very dangerous for human health.
Experienced vegetable growers prefer intestinal-contact preparations, and this allows you to cope with pests.Site treatment must be carried out several times. The frequency of use of drugs depends on air temperature: the higher it is, the more often it is necessary to carry out treatment from dangerous insects. Good results in combating them can be obtained by using the following drugs:
- Plant-pin. The drug is used to destroy the pest in greenhouses. The stick is simply stuck in the ground for a while, and it protects the greenery from the disease.
- Etisso. The drug acts the same as the previous one, but consists of another active substance, kills the enemy in the soil and on plants, acts quickly and effectively.
- Actellic has a good effect, but is harmful to the human body and belongs to the second class of hazardous substances. It is used only when other drugs have failed. It should be used very carefully, using respiratory and skin protection equipment (goggles, a respirator, gloves). The drug is sold in ampoules, which, after opening, must be used throughout the day. After spraying, the skin is thoroughly washed with soap and water. After processing, the fruits can be eaten no earlier than 2 weeks later.
- Phytoferm produces good results only when other drugs are used alternately with it: the insect quickly gets used to the insecticide.
- Actofit It is used to combat the enemy in both closed and open ground.
Karbofos, Iskra-BIO, Bitoksibacillin brings good results. The treatment is carried out in the evening, when the heat subsides, in calm and dry weather.
The safest and most effective biological control method is the phytosailus tick. The predator destroys the eggs of the spider pest.
- The phytosailus is placed on the cultures adjacent to the lesion foci.
- It needs to be repotted every 20 days.
Folk remedies for spider mites have been used for many years. Experienced vegetable growers use all recognized control methods:
- processing crops with a soap solution;
- planting flowering plants, for example, dill (ladybugs flock to its inflorescences that destroy pests);
- populating the beds with the fungus of the entomophore of Ajara.
By means of spider mites on cucumbers, the development of the disease can be stopped. If the lesions are very large, the enemy will not be completely defeated. The cultures are treated with the preparations indicated above.
Protecting the plantings from these insects is not easy and sometimes impossible: they are very resistant to insecticides and folk remedies struggle, they are even carried by gusts of wind, and therefore there is always the likelihood that treatment will be useless.The only right solution is to take preventive measures that protect cultures from a dangerous enemy.
Damage to the spider mite of cucumbers in greenhouses occurs much more often than in open ground. Greenhouse conditions are an ideal environment for its habitat. That is why it is extremely difficult to fight it in a greenhouse on cucumbers and tomatoes. It is necessary to increase the humidity in the greenhouse (more than 60%). This method is an excellent prevention and control method at the same time.
Preventive measures also include disinfection (fumigation) of the greenhouse in late autumn and early spring. After harvesting, the topsoil is removed and replaced in the greenhouse. Trellis burned with a gas burner. It is also recommended to use preparations containing phosphorus for plant nutrition: this will increase their immunity to the disease.
It is quite difficult to deal with the cucumber mite of vegetable crops.An important role in this matter is timely prevention. Agrotechnical measures carried out on time, constant monitoring of the state of plantings, timely treatment with various drugs in combination with alternative methods can protect plants from pests. And this is a prerequisite for a good harvest, which all vegetable growers and gardeners dream of.