Bees can seriously interfere with housekeeping and everyday life. Especially if they are aggressive.
Here is a list of methods to help you figure out how to get rid of your neighbor’s bees.
How bees can get in the way
They can be dangerous if:
- Someone in the family is allergic to their bite. Then their presence can be life threatening.
- There are children in the house. Especially up to 5-8 years old. Usually bees do not attack. However, the child can provoke them with their behavior. The result is crying, itching, swelling and fever.
- Feasts and parties are often held in the garden. Bees do not like the smells of alcohol and tobacco smoke, as well as perfume, garlic and onions. They become more aggressive and can sting.
Earth bees can choose one of the beds and build their nest there. They usually do not bite and are not harmful to the crop.
There are also types of carpenters. They damage walls and structures made of wood, gnawing holes in them for laying larvae. They usually don’t bite either.
There are wild bees on the site
The best way to get rid of a wild swarm is to ask a beekeeper.
However, you can get rid of it yourself. The main thing is to wear a protective suit:
- light shade and made of dense material;
- with thick gloves (you can take rubber ones);
- with a mosquito net to protect the head (you can put on an additional hat under it, in case they bite through the fabric).
Then you can start. We get rid of flying enemies using one of these methods:
Relocate the bees to another location
You can take pity on the swarm and move it to another area.
It is better to get rid of it in the evening, when the insects have just returned from the honey harvest. They need to be fumigated with a smoke.
Then the insects that are not malleable and “loaded” with honey (therefore they do not bite) will run to save themselves. It remains to get rid of the honeycomb by removing them away.
Destroy their dwelling
The queen bee always stays in the nest. If you destroy her and the larvae, the rest of the family will die.
- With the help of smoke or fire. The option is suitable if the nest is in a fireplace or chimney.
- Boiling water. Or liquids like diesel / gasoline. Convenient if the bee houses are in the ground or hollow.
- Insect repellent. They are called insecticides. Dost from cockroaches will do.
When to start the attack: If the nest is in an easily accessible place – on a clear sunny morning, when the insects go to collect honey. If in a hard-to-reach place – in the late evening, when the entire bee colony will gather in one place and will not be able to attack from the air.
Insects need to be fumigated with a smoke and sucked into a vacuum cleaner. It is best to do this in the evening, when the whole swarm will be assembled.
The collected insects can be ground and fertilized in the garden.
Bees are quietest in warm weather, in cold weather – more aggressive.
It is easier to get rid of them in winter. It is necessary to let the cold into their home, and the insects will die.
By the way, using traps against honey species is ineffective. There are several thousand insects in a standard hive, and new ones are added weekly. Catching everyone will not work.
How to understand where the bees come from
If there is an apiary nearby, insects are likely to come from there. Most likely, the site attracts them with flowering plants and water, which is often left in tanks.
If a wild swarm has started up, its noise will often be heard in the garden. Wild bees are attracted to dark and warm places. So, first of all, you should look for them under the roof, in pipes and in the ground.
Try to solve the problem peacefully
Peaceful disposal methods are the best option. You can try to negotiate with your neighbor to do the following:
- Changed bees to another variety if these are too aggressive and bite. Some breeds of bees are calm and peaceful, so they will not bring much trouble to others.
- Changed the fence. For a solid fence with a higher height – from 2 meters.
- I planted more trees and shrubs on my site. Ideally fast growing and frequent flowering.
- Moved the hives. If the apiary is 30-40 meters from the houses, the bees will not bother people.
- Replaced the queen in a bee colony. The behavior of bees often depends on the female. Sometimes when you replace it, insects become calmer.
If you correctly choose the area for the apiary, you can significantly increase its productivity and the amount of honey. This can be cited as an argument.
To increase the chances of your neighbor agreeing, you can offer help with moving the hives.
How to get rid of bees legally
Now such laws are only being developed, therefore, the following is advisory in nature.
Here’s how to get rid of your neighbor’s bees if your neighbor refuses a peaceful solution to the problem:
- You need to go to the doctor and witness the bite, if any. The doctor will issue a confirmation certificate.
- Measure the height of the neighbor’s fence. According to the norms, it should be more than 2 meters. An exception is if the apiary is located at a height of 2 meters or more.
- Measure the distance from your plot to the hives. The latter should be no closer than 9 meters.
- Write a complaint about a neighbor and contact the management of a gardening partnership with it. Or to the local police officer. Do not forget to attach documents and photographs to the complaint confirming the bite and violations of the rules (about the height of the fence and the distance of the hive).
Copies must be made of all documents. One packet is sent to the local police department, and on the second they make a note that the application has been accepted. After that, the police will come to check the apiary.
The police will check:
- apiary passport;
- an apiary register with all the data from the veterinary laboratory and notes on the completed first aid instruction.
If these documents are not available, the neighbor will be given a fine (from 1000 rubles), they will be obliged to correct all violations in 2 weeks, or they will be deprived of the right to engage in beekeeping.
If you cannot remove insects by the methods of the law, you can sue your neighbor.
How to trap your neighbor’s bees
How to make a trap:
- Fasten 4 plywood or small boards 20×30 cm. You should get a box. The longer sides of the boards are fastened together.
- Make a lid and a bottom.
- Make a hole in the bottom board. Its diameter should be 2 centimeters.
- Take any plastic bottle. Cut off its top, and cut the edges into strips to form “petals”.
- Insert the neck of the bottle into the lower part of the box and fasten it with adhesive tape so that the “petals” rise by 2 cm. Fix the structure.
- Fill the bottle with soapy water. Everyone who gets there is simply thrown away.
In the walls of the box, you need to make a small hole so that insects can get inside. To make the trap more attractive to them, you can paint it in some warm and bright color.
How to kill a neighbor’s bees with poison
The most famous remedies to help get rid of unwanted flying guests:
- Salty water. The simplest poison. Salt is diluted in plain water and added to bee feed. Insects will die if the salt is more than 2%.
- Insecticide trap. Purchased insect poison is diluted in water mixed with a small amount of honey. 10 liters of liquid will take about one ampoule. The whole mixture is poured into traps (how to make them is described in the previous section). Traps are placed along the neighboring fence, as well as in places where insects are most active. The poisoned bee does not die immediately. Therefore, once in the nest, it can infect the entire bee family and honey. Together with neighbor beekeeper… So it’s best not to let the insects out of the trap.
- Spraying poisons. Simple dichlorvos will do. It is sprayed onto the nest.
Poison is an extreme measure, which is worth resorting to if the neighbor is completely intractable. There is no criminal liability for this.
What plants do not like bees
These plants are a real poison for both bees and humans:
- Henbane. It promotes the mass death of bees, and in humans it causes a strong heartbeat and paralysis.
- Hellebore. It kills bees, but is toxic to humans.
- Aconite. Poisonous and toxic herb.
- Rhododendron. Disrupts the nervous system.
- Spur or delphinium. More dangerous for humans than insects. It disrupts the work of the heart, blood vessels and the nervous system.
Honey from these plants is also poisonous and can poison not only neighbors, but also other uninvolved people. Better not to use them. All other plants are not dangerous and attractive to the swarm.
It is better to plant more lemon balm or peppermint on the site. From their smell, bees become inhibited and harmless. You can also apply the essential oils of these plants to yourself – this is a 100% guarantee against bites.
To get rid of pests, you can use citrus peel or essential oil (mandarin, lemon, or orange). They cannot stand their smell either. You just need to spread the fruit skins on the grass or table.
Prevention of the appearance of bees
So that the bees on the site do not bother, you need to create the most unattractive conditions for them on the site.
Get rid of melliferous species will help:
- bags filled with mothballs (they are hung in large quantities on the site);
- citronella oil (repels bees and mosquitoes, and is also completely non-toxic);
- bonfires (insects are scared away by the smell of smoke, so you need to burn dry branches or grass more often);
- lack of water (bee colonies do not settle in places where there is no water, so you need to close all tanks and barrels, if any).
To get rid of wood bees, you need:
- Paint all wood surfaces (these insects are more fond of untreated wood).
- Fill all holes with foil or glass wool and cover with putty.
Before getting rid of poor insects, it is worth remembering that they do not bring much harm. And they also improve the yield of the garden and its flowering.