Planting and collecting garlic does not cause difficulties, but storage in the winter is difficult. Consider what you need to do before storing the garlic so that the vegetable stays for a long time and does not suffer from diseases. .reachGoal (‘sood’); “>
- Harvest dates
- How to collect garlic
- Methods for storing garlic
- Temperature selection
Harvest must be done correctly and in a timely manner. The vegetable must not be dry or covered with dark spots. It is important to remember that there are several varieties of garlic :
- Spring. Summer variety. Start collecting requires I am after yellowing of the foliage. In order for the vegetable to be stored successfully, it is necessary to harvest in August, from the 15th to the 24th;
- Winter. Winter variety. Maturing inflorescence, cracked peel of the inflorescence, yellowness of leaves. Optimum harvesting time is the last days of July.
Charges must be made in a timely manner, otherwise, the resulting product is suitable only for quick use. If you store the over-ripe garlic, then by the end of spring it will dry or rot.
If the bulb was damaged during harvesting, it is recommended to eat it as soon as possible.
How to Harvest Garlic
Forks are best for digging garlic. With a shovel, you can damage the bulb (for example, cut it in half).It’s better to drive the forks into the ground 10-15 cm from the planting site.
After the vegetable has been dug up, it is necessary to take each stalk separately and shake it off the remains of the soil. Foliage should be left, tearing only yellowed leaves. If the weather is clear, garlic should be taken out into the open, heated by the sun. If it is raining or damp, drying is best done indoors. Drying takes 5-7 days.
After drying, it is necessary to trim the stem and root properly. The roots should be cut in half or leave 5 mm. The stalk is cut to ¾, it remains only 10-12 cm. For convenience, before sending the vegetable for storage, it is better to sort it by size and variety.
Methods for storing garlic
Garlic in a pigtail
The storage method directly depends on how long the garlic will lie fresh and healthy, and also what taste it will have.
- Braid weaving. It is necessary to remove the foliage, leaving only a stalk and a splinter. After we braid the braid from the stems. Then we wrap the top of the braid with a cord and make a loop so that the garlic can be hung.
- In bunches (broom). To collect and hang the broom, cut the stems only halfway and leave 15-20 cm. After we collect the broom 20-25 stems and wind the top with a rope. Hang in a cool and dry place.
- Nets.Mesh storage is a proven and convenient way, but garlic spoils quickly.
- Wicker baskets. If you weave a basket of birch bark, you can place the vegetable directly in the house, before entering the residential part.
- Sterilized jars. You will need to sterilize a liter jar and put garlic in it. Before this, the vegetable should be washed and completely cut off the roots and stem. You can pour a little salt in a jar so that the garlic does not get sick.
- Wooden boxes with salt. An analogue of the previous method.
- Using linen bags. The most convenient option. From 50 to 100 bulbs can be put in a bag. Moreover, the garlic in the bag will be reliably protected from pests, dampness and mold.
You can choose any method, the main thing is that all conditions are met, including the optimal temperature regime.
Select a temperature regime
A properly selected temperature will help the vegetable to lie down throughout the winter period, while retaining useful properties and taste. The temperature regime is selected individually, depending on the type of garlic and the number of harvested onions.
Spring garlic should be kept exclusively warm. The temperature should vary from 14 to 18 degrees heat. The room should be dry, but with good air circulation.
Winter species prefers to lie in the cold, at a temperature of 0 degrees. For storage in the winter, this species is not suitable, since the slightest amount of moisture can provoke the occurrence of mold or blackening of the husk.
A complete excess of moisture also negatively affects garlic. To limit the vegetable from external moisture, but to preserve the internal liquid, it is recommended to dip each onion in melted paraffin. It forms a powerful membrane that retains moisture and protects the bulb from disease.