Ficus Benjamin transplant requires the florist to maximize concentration and clarity of actions. This flower is unique for its amazing genetics, so it adapts to the new climate and soil conditions in a minimum amount of time.If a gardener aims to achieve good results in growing plants at home, then it is important for him to follow certain instructions, which involves some points regarding care: timely transplantation of an ornamental plant into a new convenient pot and soil (substrate).
- Preliminary preparation of the plant
- Basic conditions for choosing a container for ficus
- Highlights of the ficus transplant process
- General points of tree care
- Preventive measures to preserve the plant
- Conclusion <
By observing these simple conditions, a person will be able to observe how Benjamin’s ficus will grow and change, achieving the expected results over several years.
Preliminary preparation of the plant
Most inexperienced florists or just housewives are not able to to learn how to transplant Benjamin’s ficus properly. This procedure is performed annually.During this time period, the root system of the plant increases significantly in size, so the pot in which it is planted will already be small, in addition to this, the substrate loses all the useful components (in professional terminology this process is called depletion), and this only slows down the process of increasing the foliage . If the flower develops more than 3-4 years, then a transplant at home can be done once every few years, and not like before, annually.
Ficus is inert (at rest) in the fall and in winter, therefore, the end of spring (May) the beginning of the summer period (June) is described by competent florists as the ideal time to transplant the plant into new soil and a new container.
In fact, this time can be called the most favorable, because the flower metabolic processes are accelerated, so it will overcome all difficulties much faster the ones that arise after the transplantation (transshipment) of the ficus into a new convenient and much larger pot. In addition, due to the maximum activity of sun rays, the duration of daylight hours is much longer, and therefore the plant is strengthened in the new soil much faster.
Another important point in the whole process is which pot to transplant. The root system should be well rooted until the moment the plant goes into a dormant phase.This nuance determines the correct, and most importantly, proper nutrition of the tree in the “inert” period, when the metabolic process simply slows down.
Basic conditions for choosing a container for ficus
- A good pot bought in a florist or other specialized store is suitable for transplanting Benjamin’s ficus.
- The diameter and high capacity should be slightly larger than the predecessor (by a few sentiments) so that Benjamin’s flower does not feel discomfort in the new conditions development.
- There should be a slit at the bottom and which will perform several specific functions: removal (runoff) of excess water, aeration of the soil (substrate).
- Before transplanting, you must carefully treat the pot with a disinfectant. Hot boiled water or formalin solution perfectly copes with this task.
- The first layer of soil is called drainage, and it consists of crushed brick. Experienced flower growers know that this ball is 10-20% of the total volume.
The substrate for the flower also needs to be prepared in advance. A video on how to really create the soil for this plant can be found in the public domain on the Internet. The earth (substrate) consists of:
The ratio of these components is 2: 4. If the soil is represented by several species (turf and leaf), then the proportion does not change, but only 1/4 is added.After all the balls have been laid and the soil mixture can be called finished, it is best to additionally treat it with a weak solution of potassium permanganate or simply boiled hot water. This condition is really necessary, because in this way all the nascent harmful organisms are killed, plus the activity of viruses is suppressed, and this indicates that the grower does not have to be afraid of a sick plant. Another good result of this procedure is that the soil is saturated with water, is clearly structured and at the time of transplanting the tree at home, the soil will serve as an aid to complete the adaptation period of the flower faster.
Transplant Benjamin’s decorative ficus not be difficult if you follow the instructions step by step. If, after buying a small sprout, you transplant it into the ground, you need to know the level of soil acidity.
It may not correspond to the optimal indicator, and this is fraught with the fact that the tree will not properly absorb all the useful substances that are in the substrate. This greatly affects not only the general condition of the plant, but also its subsequent development. It was established that an acceptable pH level fluctuates around 5-6, this is the indicator that must be adhered to whenever substrate changes occur.
Highlights of the ficus transplant process
In order to carry out the transfer of plants with a well-developed root system, use the “transshipment” method. The flower is most carefully transferred from one pot to another, but with all this, the earthen lump that forms around the root does not collapse.Anyone can transplant at home in this way, even someone who does not have deep knowledge on the topic. The method itself has several advantages:
- Minimal stress for the ficus.
- Modification or addition of new components.
Before you begin execution, you must Watch the training video. So the person will see which rules require full compliance, and which can still be neglected.
- Preparation of tools: wooden spatulas, sticks. It is likely that the flower is too large, in this situation, one florist can not cope with the situation, then another person is needed. So that the earth does not crumble, thereby injuring the root system – the day before the start of the transplant, the ficus is well poured with water.
- The first step during the procedure is to carefully remove the tree from the old container. If in the process the lump of earth does not move away from the walls of the pot, then you need to tap on the back with your hand. If this does not help, they push the earth through drainage slots using a wooden stick.
- Diagnosis and a full inspection of the roots. If the gardener does not notice rotten areas, the roots look healthy and have a normal shade, there are no obstacles to the procedure. If there are foci of the disease, then they are washed from the ground and removed.
- The soil itself is supplemented and modified. The drainage material is being cleaned, but the top layer is previously removed.
- Next is the measurement of capacity, this is done in order to check how well the new pot for ficus is suitable. Measurements are performed with a small tape measure or ruler. If the height of the pot does not fit the ficus, this problematic situation is solved by pouring a new drainage layer. You need to look at the situation: if a lot, then reduce, if not enough, then add to make up for the required amount. The main thing is to see that the root neck of the flower is 2.5-3.5 cm below the rim of the container. After the drainage layer, the prepared soil is often covered with some useful additives and all this is slightly compacted.
- If voids are left in the pot on top, then they can be supplemented with soil mixture. If the globe is very dry, then it must be watered. The planning of subsequent transshipments is based on the state of the substrate and the flower itself. There are several correctly signaling indicators that indicate that it is time to transplant – compaction (the appearance of lumps) and subsequent acidification of the soil, the lack of development of a decorative tree, and if the roots are clearly visible through the soil or lower (drainage) cracks. In order to guarantee Benjamin’s ficus a good condition, between the transshipments you can change the very first layer of the substrate or additionally feed it with useful substances and trace elements.
General moments of caring for a tree
If a dilemma has arisen before the grower, how to transplant Benjamin’s ficus, there is only one solution: look for additional information. It is necessary to pay attention that after performing the necessary maneuvers, this plant needs well-organized care. Initially, it is placed in a replaced room for a couple of days. This is necessary to complete the adaptation of the root system faster. After the appointed time, the ficus is returned to where it was taken from.
The first time watering is allowed after 2-3 days. But in the future, it is not necessary to create an accurate schedule of flower irrigation, if it is clear that the earth is sufficiently dried. This shows that it is time to add moisture to the soil.
One more thing about leaving: ficus does not like low temperatures, so you should make sure that the soil does not overcool, or vice versa. The acceptable minimum is 15-16 ° C, the maximum is 27-30 ° C. If the environment changes and exceeds the indicators, the plant will die.
A flower with variegated color of leaves needs an increased level of illumination, monotonous species need more partial shade and some diffusion of light. In summer, the crown is sprayed with boiled or purified water several times a week. This type of water does not leave white streaks on the plant, since it does not contain heavy chemical compounds and salts.
Preventive measures to preserve the plant
When a plant grows and develops, there are situations when a grower should give him quick help. The cause of this condition may be the development of the disease. The main types of diseases that are exposed to ficus:
- Cercosporosis. The characteristic symptoms of this condition are as follows: dark dots appear on the back of the leaves, therefore yellowing begins and after a certain amount of time the leaf completely fades.
- Botritis. If a white hue appears on the foliage, then the ficus is exposed to this disease. The main reason is excessive watering.
- Anthracnose suggests the appearance of brownish spots and dry leaves.
All diseases have one common reason: not enough good care. This may be a lack of moisture, poor or improperly created lighting, violation of the general temperature background.
Treatment involves cutting off the affected parts, after which the flower is transferred to another room separately from the rest. The flower grower must observe the foliage. It will be the main indicator of a normal, healthy state when growing a plant in comfortable conditions.
The leaves fall or dry, then the flower needs additional irrigation, the air in the room is too dry, and this negatively affects the general condition. From such a situation, spraying the leaves saves.
If only the lower leaves from the tree disappear, then this is a normal phenomenon, showing that the flower is developing.
If they are grafted and twisted, this indicates that the plant is very cold and freezes . The solution to this problem is as follows: you need to remove Benjamin’s ficus away from large windows and walls and, if possible, try to increase the ambient temperature.
If the plants are very small leaves, the flower needs to be fertilized. To do this, the florist visits a store where they will tell him what additives can be used for this purpose.
From time to time, inspect the ficus for pests. Insects in a short time can completely destroy the plant. They cannot be eliminated on their own, the solution to the problem will be the use of insecticidal drugs.