Melon pumpkin is one of the best large-fruited varieties. He is not picky about care, perfectly preserved and has a great taste.
- Variety information
- Growing characteristics
- Planting scheme
- Reviews of gardeners
Melon is considered a mid-season variety. The plant is creeping, long-climbing, the peduncle is round, cylindrical in shape. The stem is without furrows, and the leaves are pentagonal.
The first fruits begin to ripen within 100-110 days after germination and continue until the first frosts.
The fruits are round and large (25-30 kg), with a slightly pronounced ribbing, slightly flattened.
The culture is unpretentious, tolerates cold and drought equally well. The bushes survive a cold snap to -2 ° C.
The fruits are very sweet. Sugar content sometimes reaches 15%, which is even more than in a watermelon. Their peculiarity is in the melon aftertaste.
Some factors influence the amount of sugar:
- soil composition;
- number of hot sunny days;
- frequency and abundance of watering;
- frequency of “fertilizing” fertilizers.
The pulp boils for a long time, it is juicy and aromatic, it is used in the preparation of baby food and juices . The crust is orange, the seeds are white.
Features of growing
Pumpkin is considered an unpretentious crop, but there are still certain points that must be considered in order to get a good crop.
- Before planting, you can soak the seeds in water for 1-2 days, so that they germinate faster. A special solution of potassium permanganate or a liquid complex fertilizer is also suitable. Then cover with a damp cloth and make sure that it does not dry.
- It is important to fertilize the ground well. In advance, in the fall, you can lay compost in the ground at the place where it is planned to plant a pumpkin in the spring or put warm beds. The more organics, the more abundant the crop. During the period of growth and development, it is necessary to periodically feed plants with humus, mineral fertilizers, wood ash.
- Plant seeds in warm soil. The approximate dates are mid-end of May. Although this type of pumpkin is cold-resistant, seeds will not be able to germinate in frozen cold earth.
- It will be nice if onions, legumes or tomatoes grew on the chosen place, and you can plant beans, potatoes or cucumbers nearby .
- All pumpkins love sunlight very much, so it would be the right decision to plant it in well-lit areas where there are no strong gusts of wind. An ideal place near the fence or the south wall of the house.
- Overmoistening of the soil is not welcome, so it is important to choose a place where there is no stagnation of rainwater.
Vertical trellises are a great way to grow pumpkins. It should be placed on the south side of the house or fence, for better illumination of plants.
The holes are dug at a distance of 50 cm and put 2-3 seeds or a sprout is planted if planting is done by seedlings. A stake is placed near each hole and a cord is tied to it, the other end of which is pulled to the roof of the house or to the top of the fence. The main stem is launched along the cord.
2 ovaries must be left on each of the plants, pinching the growth points. The side shoots without fruit are completely cut out, and the lower ones are cut.
The description of this method shows that with this cultivation, many advantages can be distinguished:
- good illumination;
- the small area occupied by plants;
- plants give a shadow to the wall of the house, which helps keep cool in hot summers;
- due to the increased area of the shadow created by large pumpkin leaves, moisture it evaporates more slowly.
Reviews by gardeners
The description indicates that the Melon pumpkin cultivation technique is not complicated oh, it calmly tolerates drought and short-term frosts up to -2 ° C. Many diseases that other varieties are susceptible to are avoiding it.