Pumpkin is a low-calorie and healthy vegetable. Not only pulp but also seeds and juice are suitable for food. They eat a vegetable in raw and processed form. Pumpkin is pregnant STI should take one of the main places in the list of useful products, but you need to know the rules for its use, because sometimes it can harm the expectant mother and baby.
- The benefits of pumpkin in pregnancy
- In the early stages
- In the later stages
- Pumpkin juice in the diet
- Pumpkin seeds
- Eating raw pumpkin
- Boiled and steamed pumpkin
- Harm and contraindications
The benefits of pumpkin during pregnancy
A vegetable that is 90% water is a storehouse of vitamins and trace elements per 100 g of product at it is 23 kcal, so a woman will not have to worry about her weight.
In the early stages
The product has a beneficial effect on the body of the expectant mother and fetus. with toxicosis in the early stages. Vegetable differs in such properties:
- promotes the proper formation of the musculoskeletal system of the baby – thanks to phosphorus and calcium, which contains the culture;
- improves the functioning of the nervous system;
- relieves depression;
- helps fight insomnia that occurs in the early stages of pregnancy due to hormonal changes;
- quenches thirst.
In the later stages
In the second trimester, the volume the blood of a future mother increases dramatically.Because of this, the heart begins to work hard. Pumpkin can help in the fight against stress, because it contains potassium and magnesium.
Iron, which is part of the vegetable, helps maintain hemoglobin at the required level. Thanks to this, the fetus will not suffer from hypoxia.
In the later stages of pregnancy, the woman is also worried about insomnia, since the uterus grows during this period. Pumpkin will be useful in eliminating this problem.
Vegetable helps to remove excess fluid from the body, if you use it for a long time. This property is useful in that it prevents the appearance of edema that disturbs the pregnant woman in the third trimester.
A product in any form is a good remedy for constipation. Due to the content of pectins, it removes toxins and metabolic products. Fiber is well absorbed by a weakened body, which is important, because immunity in pregnant women is reduced.
Pumpkin juice in the diet
The product supports the health of the woman and her unborn child. It is a good source of biologically active substances. It has diuretic and anti-inflammatory properties. Normalizes the work of the digestive tract. It has a calming effect, so you should drink pumpkin juice in the evening.
In the first trimester of pregnancy, the product will help get rid of nausea.For its application, the following actions are performed:
- the vegetable is peeled and seeds removed;
- juice is squeezed out using a juicer;
- diluted with water in the ratio of 1: 1 – this will help reduce the negative effect of the product on the stomach of the expectant mother;
- drink juice in small sips during an attack of nausea or at another time for half a glass.
I don’t like the taste of pumpkin juice to each, therefore, you can add other products to it that will increase the organoleptic properties. It is worth considering the presence of an allergy to certain substances. It is better to choose seasonal vegetables, fruits and berries. You can also add honey, sugar and various spices:
Carrot-pumpkin juice will be useful for the future mother’s body. To it add 1 tbsp. l vegetable oil, which helps the absorption of vitamins. Cream or sour cream are also used for this purpose.
Pumpkin juice is useful in planning pregnancy. This is a source of B vitamins. They help prevent the cleavage of the sky, as well as the development of defects in the neural tube and brain of the fetus.
This is the most high-calorie part of the vegetable. She is recommended to replace sweets. They can be a great snack, as pregnant women need fractional nutrition.
Seeds are often used to prevent or combat helminthiasis.A woman may not even suspect the presence of parasites, and they will create obstacles for the full development of the child. Pumpkin seeds during pregnancy will help to cope with this problem and will not harm the fetus.
To do this, they use 1 tbsp. l on an empty stomach for at least a week. During treatment, they drink a lot of fluids.
In addition, the benefits of pumpkin seeds for the future mother’s body are as follows:
- they increase hemoglobin;
- help the proper development fetus at the beginning of pregnancy, because contain folic acid;
- relieve nausea during toxicosis;
- strengthen the defenses of the future mother’s body;
- reduce the burden on the liver and kidneys – with regular use ;
- remove toxins from the body;
- have a beneficial effect on the musculoskeletal system;
- eliminate excessive hydrochloric acid, which is useful in the fight against heartburn that occurs on late pregnancy;
- improve the condition of the skin, hair and nails.
Seeds should be of high quality. You can eat them whole. Often they are crushed into powder and added to salads, desserts. Raw seeds will bring more benefits to the body. In heat-treated foods, the amount of nutrients decreases, amino acids are destroyed.
The product can be dried without using high temperatures. Then its shelf life will be 3 months. To eliminate insomnia, a decoction of seeds in milk is prepared.
Eating raw pumpkin
In the fresh pulp, all useful substances are preserved. It has a beneficial effect on the pregnant woman, because contains vitamins A, group B, antioxidants. It has the following properties:
- removes cholesterol from the body;
- stabilizes pressure;
- participates in the formation of fetal bone tissue.
Raw pumpkin during pregnancy benefits women who have jumps in their blood sugar levels.
If the vegetable does not like to taste as a standalone product, you can combine it with other ingredients . For pregnant women, this salad is suitable:
- 0.4 kg of pumpkin pulp;
- 4 medium apples;
- 0.5 tbsp. walnuts;
- olive oil;
Nuts need to be chopped, quickly fry in a small amount of oil. Peeled apples and pumpkin should be grated. Add lemon juice and cooled nuts. A little salt, sprinkle with sugar or fructose.
Boiled and steamed pumpkin
A thermally processed product loses some vitamins, but remains very useful. It has the following effect:
- improves blood composition;
- fights against edema;
- has a beneficial effect on the intestines.
Cooking a vegetable is easy.You can use this recipe:
- take 1 kg of pumpkin and 1.3 liters of water;
- peel the vegetable;
- cut into cubes;
- pour liquid;
- boil for 10 minutes, adding cardamom or vanilla;
- sprinkle the finished dish with sugar.
You can boiled pumpkin to make mashed potatoes. It will be a delicious filling for pies.
Various porridges are prepared on the basis of the vegetable. For the dish you will need the following ingredients:
- 220 g pumpkin;
- 75 g millet;
- 0.5 tbsp. l butter;
- 150 ml of water;
- 150 ml of milk;
- sugar, salt.
Cut the vegetable and cleanse. Stacked in a pan, poured with water, heated. Grain is gradually added. Keep on low heat until thickened. Large pieces of vegetable can be chopped. Pour milk and spices to taste.
Some housewives send porridge for several minutes in the oven. Then add butter and stir.
Steamed pumpkin is prepared as follows:
- peel the vegetable, cut into cubes;
- lay on a baking sheet with sides;
- pour water and honey;
- put in the oven for 20 minutes. at a temperature of 180 ° C..
Dried fruits are often added to the dish. Dried apricots and raisins are suitable.
Vegetables can also be baked.It is cut into pieces, laid on a baking sheet. Add honey, nuts. Sent to the oven. When the slices become soft, remove. The product can be baked with chicken, apples, etc.
Harm and contraindications
Despite the benefits of pumpkin, not all women recommend it during pregnancy. It is necessary to exclude it from the diet for allergies to vegetables and for such diseases:
- chronic diarrhea;
- urogenital problems;
- duodenal ulcer;
- diabetes mellitus – the product contains a lot of carbohydrates;
- exacerbated digestive diseases – vegetable juice can cause nausea and bloating;
- acid -alkaline balance in the body.
It is worth considering that due to the laxative effect, the vegetable can provoke diarrhea. Raw seeds should not be used by pregnant women in quantities of more than 100 g per day. The product can harm the woman’s body – constipation, abdominal pain, nausea.
Canned juices are not worth buying. They contain a lot of sugar, dyes.
Pumpkin can be included in the diet of the expectant mother daily. She will provide valuable substances not only to her body, but also to the fetus. From the vegetable, you can cook a lot of different dishes that diversify the woman’s menu. If the pregnant woman has no contraindications, then the vegetable will bring her only benefit.