Each gardener chooses planting dates for his flowers. But it is known that planting tulips in the fall in the suburbs has a beneficial effect on flowering. Let’s figure out how to plant tulips in open ground and greenhouses in central Russia and the environs of Moscow.
- Features of the autumn landing
- Tulip planting time in autumn in the Moscow Region
- Algorithm actions
- Suitable conditions
- Choose the bulbs
- Place of planting
- How to plant tulips
Features of the autumn planting
Both autumn and spring planting methods require compliance rules. Correct planting provides the flower with the necessary development. Therefore, before deciding to plant after the summer, weigh all the pros and cons.
Planting tulips in winter Moscow Region has the following advantages
- Bulbs get time to strengthen in the ground before frost;
- Autumn planting material increases the root system and gives the flower more resistance to disease.The vegetation process of such a flower is faster;
- In the autumn period, it is easiest to find the desired tulips (as well as daffodils and other bulb plants), by the end of the season there are more bulbs and sprouted tulips, almost ready for flowering;
- It will be difficult to keep the seed in the winter. Onions may not take root in time. To avoid early germination, you must observe many difficult conditions;
- In spring, seedlings appear early, even if the snow has not completely melted. If the plant survives the winter, it will develop more actively and decorate your flowerbed with bright buds longer;
- Spring tulips may not grow in time: the green part will appear, and the flowers will not have time to set. The fact is that the plant needs adaptation, and the appearance of a flower takes time.
- Planting tulips in open ground requires a clear meeting deadlines. Otherwise, you will not get full-fledged healthy plants, and the flowering time will be significantly reduced;
- There is a small risk that the tulips will die. Weakened bulbs do not have enough time to root, and after the first frost they can die;
- Planting material can be damaged by wintering insects, rodents and other pests.
Tulip planting time in autumn in Moscow region
In most parts of the country, the best period for planting perennials is the first month of autumn.But the reference should not be the dates on the calendar. When choosing a time, pay special attention to temperature indicators: during abnormal periods, do not plant. Wait for the best period.
Moscow Oblast belongs to the Central Band. In this regard, the best time for planting tulips in the fall in the suburbs from early September to early October. According to other gardeners – from the third decade of September to mid-October. You can navigate by the month of planting garlic in open ground or a greenhouse this year.
This gap is due to the fact that the autumn in the Moscow region is rainy and often freezes at night. Snow may fall by early October, so try not to delay.
Algorithm for actions
In order for the plants to develop, you need to consider all aspects of planting and care. Choose the appropriate conditions, planting material and correctly place it in your favorite place. Let’s figure out how to arrange it.
Tulips should be planted in autumn in the Moscow Region at a soil temperature of 6-9 ° C at the planting depth. It is necessary to dig a hole 10 cm. With these values, the plant can quickly develop a hardy root system. If the temperature deviates by 3 ° С, root formation will occur, but its rate will noticeably decrease.
The formation of a future shoot, roots, buds of buds and flowers takes about 3.5-4 weeks. It will be good if during this time the soil does not freeze at the depth of the onion planting. When the sprout of a tulip begins to break through the thickness of the earth, the ideal time for a drop in temperature comes. If it has not arrived yet, and the flower has begun to break through the ground, cover it with a film or other material. To avoid surprises, observe the planting dates.
Choose the bulbs
To successfully plant tulips in the Moscow Region, you need to choose the bulbs correctly:
- Before making a purchase, make sure that the material you have chosen is of high quality. First of all, remember that you need to buy tulip bulbs in specialized gardening stores. They have product warranties and it is always better to know where to turn in case of problems;
- The size of the bulb should be 4 cm. The largest are suitable only for winter distillation;
- The entire surface of the bulb should be covered with golden or brownish thin scales. Otherwise, the tulip will slowly ascend and develop poorly even in the greenhouse;
- There should be no damage, scratches or unnatural depressions on the bulb. It is bad if the planting material is too soft or touched by rot;
- Pay attention to the neck and the bottom of the tulip bulb. It is necessary to plant tulips in the autumn in the suburbs if the bottom and neck of the tulip are sufficiently dense, elastic.You can not plant plants that have grown roots and softened bottom;
- The bulbs are simply injured, so do not delay planting after acquisition. If the time has not come yet, store planting material at temperatures of 17.5-18 degrees. Ideal for a balcony, a cool veranda.
Place of planting
Tulips in the suburbs require certain conditions, but how to choose them? Be sure to consider the features of your landscape. If the site has groundwater deposits, plant tulips on natural elevations or artificial alpine hills. Otherwise, the rapidly developing roots will get to excess fluid, decay processes will begin and the flower will soon die.
Tulips are drawn to heat. If you do not land in a place with sufficient lighting, the stems will thinn and begin to reach for the light. But spaces with drafts or excessive gusts of wind will be harmful to the flowers. It is worth noting that low-growing varieties are more resistant to the flow of air masses.
It is important that the soil for planting has certain characteristics. It should not be too dense, breathable, alkaline. Do not forget to regularly fertilize the flower beds. If you are forced to plant plants in sandy soil, dig it with three-year-old manure. Too dense soils must be diluted with sifted river sand.