Especially popular among gardeners is nutmeg pumpkin, which differs from other species in its more valuable composition and sweeter taste. A product that is used even for baby food. It has a general strengthening effect on the body. Different parts of the plant are consumed.
- In which regions can I grow
- Varieties of pumpkin
- Nectar <
- Variety Muscat de agro
- Variety Miracle Yudo
- Prikubanskaya <
- Arabatskaya <
- Variety Pearl
- Vitamin Variety
- Variety Provencal
- Variety Honey Princess
- Muscat de Provence
- Polyanin <
- Russian woman <
- Michurinskaya <
- Spanish guitar
- Butternut (Walnut)
- Neapolitan giant
- Growing nutmeg pumpkin
- Soil preparation
- Seed preparation
- Propagation <
- Care <
- Harvesting and storage of the crop
- Pests and diseases
- Reviews of gardeners
In which regions can be grown
Muscat squash dpochitaet warm climate.
It is better to grow it in the open field in the South – there are the most suitable conditions for fruit ripening.
In other regions, the plant growing features are as follows:
- Moscow region and Leningrad region – the climate of these areas is characterized by a cold summer season and its short duration. It will be possible to grow a pumpkin only with the help of seedlings.
- Siberia and the Urals – in this region, frost lasts until June, so sowing directly into open ground is impossible. Seedlings are grown to get it in early May. Planting is done in early summer using a compost heap.
Varieties of pumpkin
The best varieties of nutmeg pumpkins and their description are presented below.
The plant is climbing. The length of the shoots is up to 3 m. The ripening period is 4 months.
Description of the fruit:
- weight up to 6 kg;
- the surface is orange, ribbed;
- small seed nest;
- the pulp is bright orange, juicy, sweet;
- It has a pleasant aroma.
The use of Nectar pumpkin is universal. Mashed potatoes and juices are made from it.
Variety Muscat de agro
Description of the fruit:
- weight 4 kg;
- the shape is round, flattened;
- the surface is divided into segments;
- the surface is red-orange;
- the flesh with a pleasant crunch, sugar, dense, bright orange .
Late ripening Muscat de agro – ripens in 125-130 days. The culture is climbing. It is drought resistant. Suitable for transportation.
Miracle Yudo variety
The plant is climbing. Leaves have 5 corners, solid, dark green. The growing season is 120 days.
The fruits are distinguished by the following qualities:
- have the shape of an oval;
- the surface is weakly segmented;
- weight 6-8 kg;
- orange peel with a green pattern and a grayish bloom;
- the pulp is red-orange,
- the taste is memorable, pleasant.
The use of universal – the preparation of various dishes, juices, preserves. Wonder-yudo pumpkin is also consumed fresh. It retains commercial qualities for a long time.
Mid-ripe variety – fruits are harvested 90-130 days after mass seedlings. Productivity is stable. The plant is medium-braided.
The fruits of the Prikubanskaya pumpkin are characterized by the following qualities:
- they are aligned;
- the shape is cylindrical, thickened on one side;
- the surface is smooth, orange-brown;
- the pulp is red-orange, juicy and sweet;
- the seed chamber is small.
Well stored – up to 3 months after collection. Perfectly tolerates transportation.
The late ripening variety is 115-125 days. High yielding, drought tolerant. It is immune to diseases.
Arabat pumpkin is large-fruited, average weight is 6-8 kg, length is up to 55 cm.
- the shape is cylindrical, elongated, thickened at the apex
- the peel is thin, yellow-orange;
- the flesh is rich orange, crispy, juicy and very sweet;
- the aroma is nutmeg;
- the seed nest is small.
Preservation of taste and marketability – 3-4 months. The fruits are baked, juices are prepared on their basis.
Ripens in 115-125 days. It has a powerful growth force, has 4-7 lashes. The leaves are small, solid, dark green, with bright spots.
Fruits have an unusual shape — they are elongated, resembling a nesting doll.
- the bark is bright orange, smooth, less often weakly segmented, thin ;
- average weight 4 kg, length up to 0.5 m;
- the pulp is dark orange, dense, juicy, sweet;
- the seed chamber is small.
The pearl is used for culinary purposes. Its value is carotene in large quantities.
The ripening period is 125-130 days. Yields – 4 kg / m².
Culture of medium growth. It forms shoots 6 m long.The leaves are pentagonal, green, with a gray tint and small bright spots.
Description of the fruit:
- the shape is oval;
- the surface is segmented, near the peduncle is ribbed;
- weight up to 7 kg, the fruit is short;
- the bark is thin, leathery, brown-brown with a green mesh;
- the flesh is bright orange, juicy, dense, thick, sweet;
- medium-sized seed nest.
Vitamin nutmeg pumpkins are rarely affected by powdery mildew. They are recommended for use in the processed industry.
Mid-late form. Appointment table. The plant is climbing. Leaves are green, slightly dissected.
- round, flattened;
- the surface is divided into segments, it is orange-brown, with a touch;
- weight 3-8 kg;
- flesh is dark orange, medium juiciness, contains a lot of carotene;
- seed nest is medium.
Productivity – 4.2 kg / m². The variety is drought tolerant and well tolerates transport. Dessert dishes, juices, smoothies are prepared from the fruits.
Variety Honey Princess
The ripening period is 110-115 days. Yields are high.Distinctive qualities of fruits:
- the shape is spherical, flattened;
- the surface is divided into segments, bright orange;
- weight 3-4 kg;
- the pulp is bright yellow, juicy, dense;
- the taste is honey-sweet.
Due to its low calorie content and high carotene content, the Honey Princess is used for children’s and diet food. The variety is immune to the main diseases of pumpkin crops.
Muscat de Provence
Ripening period is 115-120 days. The plant is powerful. The fruits are beautiful and even. Their description:
- the shape is spherical, flattened;
- the surface is orange-brown, segmented;
- weight 10 kg;
- pulp bright orange, high in sugar.
The variety is virtually unaffected by the disease. Duration of storage – up to six months. Commercial quality is excellent. Seeds contain up to 45% fat.
The growing season is 95-100 days. Productivity – 40 t / ha.
The plant is wicker, well leafy.
- round, slightly elongated;
- medium weight – 6 kg;
- the surface is light brown with a wax coating;
- the flesh is red-orange, dense, juicy, crisp and sweet.
Mildew is not afraid of the variety. Transportability is good. Fruits are stored up to a year.
According to the description of the variety, Polyanin nutmeg pumpkin is transportable, has good preservation, is resistant to diseases and adverse environmental conditions.
- the shape is elongated;
- weight 4 kg;
- the surface is light brown, slightly ribbed;
- the skin is smooth, orange, glossy ;
- the pulp is dense, juicy, sweet.
Early ripe species – 90-110 days . Productivity is high – 20 kg per plant. The culture is of medium growth strength, climbing.
The fruits are characterized by the following qualities:
- rounded shape;
- weight 2-4 kg;
- the peel is smooth, orange;
- the flesh is tender, juicy, bright orange, sweet;
- the smell of melon.
According to the description, this muscat variety resistant to cold: pumpkin is suitable for cultivation in the suburbs, in the Urals. The application is universal. It has a presentable appearance.
Ripening period is 95-105 days. The plant is climbing. The leaves are large, dark green.
Description of the fruit is as follows:
- the shape is flat-round;
- the surface is divided into segments, gray;
- weight up to 5 kg;
- the bark is thin, bending;
- the flesh is thick, juicy, sweet;
- the smell is honey.
Appointment table. Pumpkin is consumed fresh and heat-treated. The culture tolerates adverse environmental conditions, which allows it to grow in Siberia and the Urals. Good safety. Long-distance transportation is possible.
High-yielding variety – 6-10 kg / m².
Short stems – up to 3 m. Fruits looking rather unusual, they resemble a guitar.
- the shape is elongated, thickened on one side;
- weight 2-4 kg, length up to 1 m;
- surface orange with green stripes;
- flesh orange silt orange-red, juicy, dense, sweet, occupies 90-95% of the fruit;
- fruit smell;
- tasting score – 4.9 points out of 5.
The crop is stored up to 120 days. Prepare mashed potatoes and juices.
Ripening variety – ripening occurs 3 months after germination.
- the surface is yellow-orange;
- weight up to 1 kg;
- the pulp is oily type, tender, juicy, sweet;
- nutmeg aroma.
Walnut contains much less seeds than usual. They are placed in the thickened part of the vegetable. The species has a long shelf life. Used for diet and baby food.
Matures late – 125-135 days. Recommended for cultivation in the South. Productivity – up to 4 kg / m².
- rounded flattened shape;
- weight 6-10 kg;
- the background is dark gray or green with bright spots;
- the skin is soft;
- the surface is segmented;
- the flesh is juicy, tender, bright orange.
Harvested for more than a year without loss of taste. The variety is resistant to white rot. Vegetables contain a lot of carotene.
Ripening period is 105-110 days. Fruits have this characteristic:
- the shape resembles a squash;
- the surface is dark green, smooth;
- weight 7-12 kg;
- the peel is thin, easy to clean;
- the flesh is bright orange, dense, crisp, sweet;
- the smell is light, refreshing.
The large-fruited pumpkin has a small seed nest.
The plant is medium-braided. The main shoot is long. The leaves are dark green with gray spotting, solid.
The fruits have the following description:
- the shape is round or slightly oval;
- the surface is slightly segmented or smooth, light -brown with orange blot;
- medium-thick bark, leathery;
- the flesh is juicy, orange, dense, tasty.
The seed chamber is large. Sunflower seeds are small, creamy, smooth. The variety is used in cooking and in agriculture as feed. It is affected by diseases of pumpkin crops.
Ripening period is average – 115-125 days. The fruits have the following characteristics:
- the shape is unusual – flat;
- the skin is sweaty, gray in color;
- the average weight is 4.5 kg;
- the pulp is bright orange, moderately sweet;
Pumpkin Bylinka has a muscat aroma and taste. It can be stored until the next season. It does not require special care, it is resistant to external influences.
Ripening later – 130-140 days. The plant is long-climbing.
The fruits are large, have the following description:
- the shape is cylindrical;
- length up to 1 m, weight up to 35 kg;
- surface dark green with a wax coating;
- the pulp is orange, crispy, juicy;
- the seed nest is small.
The family pumpkin is used to make juices, soups.
The fruits of nutmeg pumpkins have the following characteristics:
- average weight 15 kg, some specimens reach 35 kg;
- the surface is divided into segments, orange, in the upper part with gray o-green stripes;
- the pulp is dark orange, occupies almost the entire volume of the vegetable.
The Neapolitan giant is eaten raw in salads. It is also used for making cereals, mashed potatoes, fritters.
The growing season is 100-110 days. The plant is long-climbing. Leaves are pentagonal, solid, dark green.
Pumpkin Beauty is consumed fresh and heat-treated.
- rounded shape;
- the surface is red-orange, segmented;
- weight 5-6 kg;
- the pulp is bright orange, juicy, tender.
Mid-season hybrid – 110-125 days. The plant is of medium strength, long-toed.5-6 fruits are formed on it, they have the following description:
- the shape is pear-shaped;
- the surface is smooth, beige and cream;
- weight 1.5 -2.5 kg;
- the pulp is yellow-orange, juicy and dense;
- the scent of nutmeg.
The variety is immune to diseases. The fruits are well stored.
Growing nutmeg pumpkins
Preparing the soil
Choose a spacious, lighted area, without drafts. Pumpkin prefers loamy and light soil. Other types of soil need to be improved.
The best predecessors are legumes, onions, cabbage, potatoes, gourds.
The bed is prepared in the fall: it is deeply dug up and fertilized with rotted manure and superphosphate. The actions are repeated in the spring, they only add ammonium nitrate.
The purchased seed has already been treated with special substances. Better choose proven brands. For example, Agroni.
Preparing the seed involves the following actions:
- soaking in hot water at 50 ° C for several hours;
- wrapping in a damp cloth while they are do not hatch;
- place on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator.
It is better to grow seedlings. Sowing dates – the end of April. They are corrected, focusing on the climate of the region.
Take containers with a diameter of at least 10 cm, fill it with soil half mixed with humus. 2 seeds are placed in each, with a pointed tip down. The vessels are placed in a warm place – 22-25 ° C. After emergence, the temperature is gradually reduced to 18-20 ° C. Over time, one sprout is removed, leaving a stronger one.
Seedling care includes the following actions:
- watering – as needed;
- top dressing – twice with complex fertilizer .
Before planting, the plants are tempered. 3-4 leaves are planted in open ground.
The approximate planting time is late May – early June. The earth should warm up to 12 ° C.
The distance between the seedlings should be at least 0.6 m, but, depending on the selected variety, it can be increased.
First make holes 10 cm deep Water each. Plants are planted.
Until the plants adapt and begin to actively develop, it is worth carefully removing weed grass. It will stop growing when the crop forms shoots, and leaves will occupy a large space.
The soil needs to be loosened. In the aisles – to a greater depth, under the plants – to a lesser extent.
Although many species are drought tolerant, it is worthwhile to take soil moisture responsibly.
- before tying the ovaries – once every a week;
- after this period – once for 1-2 weeks.
Water is taken standing and warm – 20˚С. Humidification with cold water will lead to the spread of disease. After each procedure, the soil is loosened.
Two weeks before harvesting, watering is stopped.
Fertilize plants in 2 stages:
- 10 days after planting: the infusion of mullein is diluted with water (1:10). 10 g of superphosphate is also added.
- During flowering, complex fertilizer, potassium sulfate, wood ash are suitable.
If the weather is bad and there are no insects that pollinate plants, it is worth performing the process yourself. Do this in the morning when it is cool.
- Take a male flower;
- Remove leaves from it;
- The stigma of a female flower is touched with stamen.
Pollen can be carried with a soft brush. It is worth making sure that it is not crumpled. You can distinguish flowers if you look at them. In women, at the end of the peduncle, a thickening is placed – the future fetus.
The plant forms many ovaries, but is not able to provide them with the necessary nutrition. So that the crop is not small, you need to leave 2-3 fruits on it.
The formation also provides for the following recommendations:
- pinch the stems at a distance of 0.5 m from the ovary;
- remove excess shoots;
- spread the lashes and sprinkle with earth in several places.
Then the plant forms new roots. This will provide him with additional nutrition.
Harvesting and storage of the crop
It is advisable to harvest the fruits before the onset of cold weather. Many species, even a slight decrease in temperature will cause irreparable harm.
Rules for the removal of fruits:
- the procedure to perform secateurs in dry weather;
- leave part of the stalk – 3-4 see;
- actions must be done carefully so as not to damage the peel.
Harvest can be stored at room temperature, but the optimum performance is 12 ° C. Butternut squash is often placed in a dark place for 2 months. It is believed that it will become more delicious and fragrant, and the skin – hard with a clear pattern.
Pests and diseases
Common diseases of butternut squash and control measures:
- Bacteriosis – dark green spots appear on the leaves, on the back of them – an oily substance. Over time, the leaf plate dries. The disease also damages the fruits – they are deformed. For treatment, use a Bordeaux mixture or copper sulfate. The affected parts of the plant are destroyed.
- Anthracnose – leaves cover brown spots. Over time, they begin to crumble, holes appear. The leaf plates dry out. The disease affects the fruits and stems of the culture. They fight it with Bordeaux liquid and copper chloroxide.
- Root rot – first affects the underground part of the plant. The roots become brown, flabby and crack. Leaves turn yellow, pumpkin growth stops. They treat the disease with Previkur, Fundazol. The plant is sprinkled with wood ash.
- Powdery mildew – small white spots appear on the leaves. Over time, they cover the leaf plates completely in the form of plaque. The fruits are deformed, the plants dry out. Use the following medicinal substances: callloid sulfur, sodium phosphate.
- Spotted mosaic – small yellow and green spots appear on the leaves, which alternate. Culture is slowing down. It is necessary to process the drug Farmayod-3.
According to the characteristic, such insects can infect nutmeg pumpkin:
- Spider mite – sucks the juice from plants. It is visible on the back of the leaves; a light spider web also appears. To combat the pest, they use Karbofos, an infusion of onion husks.
- Melon aphids – insect colonies settle below the leaves, trying to juice them. Over time, the plant dries. The culture is treated with infusions of wormwood, celandine, and onion husks. With a severe defeat – Karbofos, Triphos.
- Slugs – young leaves and sprouts eat. The plants are sprinkled with ash, sprayed with infusions of wormwood, garlic. Groza is also used.
Prevention measures include the following recommendations:
- crop rotation;
- applying the correct planting scheme;
- removing plant debris from the site in the fall;
- weed control;
- observing the irrigation regime;
- regular inspection of plants;
- planting a number of crops that do not have the same diseases as pumpkin.
Reviews of gardeners
People who grow nutmeg pumpkins in their own area, with etuyut planted culture seedling method.Planting a seed directly in open ground is possible if the region has warm and long summers.
Gardeners have many advantages:
- high yields;
- early or medium ripening dates;
- fast bud formation;
- long fruiting period;
- high palatability.
The housewives are happy with the universal use of the fruits.Some types are added to salads in raw form; cereals, mashed potatoes and soups are also prepared. They are consumed in steamed and baked form.
Nutmeg varieties contain a large amount of sugar and carotene. Useful not only pulp, but also seeds. They are often taken to prevent helminthiasis.