The climatic conditions of Siberia are characterized by frosty winters, fast-flowing spring and short sultry summers. That is why summer residents should learn how to determine when to collect garlic in Siberia.
- Best varieties for Siberia
- Planting and care
- Garlic harvesting rules
- If you violate the collection time
Best varieties for Siberia
Harvest does not increase only the right care for the plants, but also the right varieties. The best varieties of winter garlic that withstand the harsh winters of Siberia and give a harvest are:
- New Iberian-1. It is resistant to the most common disease – fusarium. The taste of the vegetable is sharp and the aroma is pronounced. The weight of one bulb reaches 20 g. Each head has about 10 cloves.
- Siberian. This variety of vegetable is different The size of the cloves in the head can be no more than 6 pieces, but the mass of the bulb reaches 30 g. This variety does not produce arrows.
- Scythian. This is one of the most fruitful early varieties. With 1 sq. m collect more than 1 kg of heads. The variety is characterized by keeping quality and high taste.
- Autumn. Onions of this variety differ in weight: the weight of one head reaches 40 g. The yield and frost resistance of a vegetable is high. It belongs to early ripening varieties.
- Bashkir-85.Technical ripeness of the variety occurs after 90 days after emergence. The spicy vegetable of this variety is characterized by productivity.
All of these varieties are resistant to autumn frosts and cold winters. That is why only zoned varieties of spicy vegetables are grown.
An excellent harvest is given by Alcor. It was bred for the southern regions, but it is also successfully cultivated in the Siberian climate. The variety is characterized by productivity and resistance to rot. The vegetable is undemanding to soil quality and watering.
Planting and care
To garlic ripen in due time, it is planted correctly. There are a number of rules, compliance with which helps plants develop:
- Fertile soil. Spicy vegetable grows better on neutral ground, so when preparing the ridges make fluffy lime. Also, before proceeding to the planting of garlic, they prepare a high warm bed of foliage, rotted manure and black soil. The teeth are planted in sunny areas in order to prevent stagnation of water in the future and prevent decay of the heads. This is facilitated by a slight slope of the beds.
- Material selection. High-quality seed garlic is obtained from heads, the number of teeth in which does not exceed 6 pieces: the larger the seeds, the larger the yield. Heads before landing are separated.
- Preplanting.All teeth are disinfected in a solution of potassium permanganate (potassium permanganate) or a weak alkaline solution (3 tbsp. Drinking soda in 5 l of cold water).
There are 2 more important conditions that gardeners should observe, growing a spicy vegetable in Siberia is the depth of the seeding of the teeth and the density of sowing. The optimal depth to which a clove of garlic is lowered is 12 cm, and the distance between the holes is 25 cm.
It is not necessary to fertilize a vegetable planted in fertile soil. In the case of prolonged drought, plants need watering. It is preferable to make it manually from a watering can, so as not to tighten the ground. After the outer layer of the earth has dried, the beds loosen.
Garlic harvesting rules
The end of July or the beginning of August is the time when it is necessary to harvest winter garlic in Siberia. Different varieties ripen at different times and are harvested only after technical maturity.
Indicators that it is time to harvest the vegetable:
- Yellow leaves. This indicator always indicates that the bulb is ripe and no longer requires nutrients. As soon as the foliage below turns yellow on the bushes, they begin to collect the vegetable.
- The degree of maturity of the prongs on the arrows. Often, gardeners leave lighthouses, in the role of which are air shoots with seeds.Shedding cloves is confirmation that the plant has completed the cycle.
- Cracks in the beds. This indicator is a consequence of the fact that the plants open inside the earth.
Harvesting a spicy vegetable in Siberia does not differ from the process in more southern regions. Cleaning is done manually. When the bed is small, it is best to harvest winter garlic with a shovel. They dig her holes, deepening by half a bayonet. After that, the plant is pulled by the tail and taken out of the ground.
Crop must be dried in the fresh air, and then collected in bundles and stored in a suspended state until the trunks inside dry out.
If you violate the collection dates
If you put the unripe heads in storage, after a month they will show empty teeth. They are determined by touch. Unripe material will not give healthy shoots and will not be able to please the crop. Onions dug up earlier than the set time will not have a sharp taste and will start to smell damp.
Delayed harvesting of a spicy vegetable will cause the prongs to begin a new life cycle: the heads will open in the ground and appear on the tops of the slices leaflets. If this happens, the vegetable will be left in the beds. It will become a planting material for spring sowing.
Collect garlic in Siberia should be later than in other regions. This is due to the late onset of spring heat and delayed germination of winter material. Violation of the harvesting time leads to the inability to preserve the crop for a long time, and also to use it for subsequent reproduction.