Among egg gardeners and gardeners, eggplant is a fairly popular crop that can be grown both in greenhouse conditions and in open ground. As practice shows, in the cultivation of this vegetable is very whimsical. Consider one of the most common problems, why eggplant leaves turn yellow and what to do about it.
- Causes of yellowing foliage
- Reasons for yellowing seedlings
- Why the fruits turn yellow
- Useful recommendations
- Conclusion <
Causes of yellowing foliage
Unlike tomatoes and peppers, this plant has a delicate and thin leg, in connection with which there are more difficulties in the process of growing vegetables. Quite often leaves turn out to be yellow in eggplant. such a process occurs both in plants that grow in open ground and in those that are grown in greenhouse conditions. It is also bad that the yellowed foliage immediately falls off. Thus, the bare plant dies before it has time to bloom and set. fruits.
The reasons why eggplant leaves turn yellow:
- The most common reason for yellowing leaves in this crop is adaptation to a new place of growth. Planted seedlings may turn yellow at first, and some time after adaptation, its leaves regain their original green color.
- Leaf mosaic is a common disease due to which leaves turn yellow in eggplant. This sore can be identified by yellow spots on the surface of the foliage. The ripened fruits of such plants are very hard.This is the main reason yellowing of leaves in greenhouse plants. Several factors can provoke the appearance of this problem and yellowing of the leaves: lack or excess of lighting, violation of its duration, as well as a sharp decrease in the temperature regime in the room. The same phenomenon is possible in seedlings grown on the windowsill.
- Leafs turn green in greenhouse plants due to disturbances in agricultural technology. As gardening practice shows, eggplant always turns yellow and wilts in peat soil. Loamy or sandy loamy soil is more suitable for this crop.
- Fusarium is another reason for the yellowing of leaves in eggplant. Fusarium wilting is a very dangerous sore that can lead to the loss of all plantings. The causative agent of the disease first affects the vessels of the leaves, as a result of which they discolor, then turn yellow, fall off. After them shoots can wither and fall.
- Verticillosis. This disease provokes wilting and yellowing of eggplants at the entire stage of growth, development and fruiting. The reason for this is an excess of fertilizers, in particular nitrogen and organic matter.
- There is another reason why the lower leaves of eggplant turn yellow – this is a fungal disease. By the way, it is very easy to confuse it with fusarium, since the symptoms of these diseases are almost the same – the plants become covered with yellow spots. The fungus sits in the ground for a long time, then moves to plants.Moreover, such a pathogen affects both plants in the open ground and planting growing in the greenhouse. Signs: first, the leaves turned yellow, and then curled up. After a while, they dry and fall off. Such bushes already have no chance of restoration and fruiting.
- If you notice that the lower leaves turn yellow in the eggplant, it is possible that you used already infected seed material when planting.
- Growing This garden culture in the greenhouse should not be forgotten about the care that it requires. If you do not want to lose the grown bushes, regularly ventilate the room. Otherwise, infection with a fungal infection with high humidity can not be avoided, as well as yellowing of the foliage.
- Burns. Yellowness on the surface of leaves can cause lighting devices in greenhouses. On the street, plants may turn yellow from the scorching sun. Therefore, you need to irrigate and water the bushes only early in the morning or in the evening to prevent this from happening.
- If the cotyledon leaves turn yellow and curled, then the plants lack nutrients. For full growth and development, this culture needs to be fed with nitrogen potash fertilizers. It is these two components that in many cases help to cope with the yellowness of foliage.
- Eggplant as well as other garden crops require the necessary care. Untimely irrigation, overflow of soil can also provoke massive yellowing of leaves on plants.This culture reacts very poorly to watering with cold water – after that the foliage starts to turn yellow.
In one case or another, the fallen leaves should be disposed of immediately, since it is a source of infection healthy leaves and plants.
Reasons for yellowing seedlings
Let’s find out why the leaves of the eggplant seedlings in the greenhouse or on the windowsill turn yellow and dry. For this culture, a full-fledged diet of macro- and microelements is very important, as mentioned above. Due to the lack of nutrients in the soil, the upper leaves of seedlings begin to suck out everything necessary from the lower leaves. As a result of this, the cotyledon leaves turn yellow, wither or dry.
In this case, it is very important to react and feed the plants with special seedling fertilizer in time. It can be bought at any specialized store.
The second reason for the yellowing of seedlings is the planting of infected material. Therefore, before planting eggplant for seedlings, seed disinfection should be carried out with a potassium permanganate solution.
The seedlings in the area turn yellow, possibly due to an excess of sunlight. Under the scorching sun, young plants not only turn yellow, but can also wither and dry out.Therefore, try to plant this crop on a bed with protection from scorching sunlight.
Why the fruits turn yellow
The fruits of this plant can wither and turn yellow for various reasons:
- defeat of fungal, viral and bacterial infections;
- excess or lack of moisture in the soil;
- acidification of the soil.
Once the cause of yellowing of the foliage and fruits has been determined, it is necessary to deal with it immediately:
- follow all the rules for planting seedlings s (disinfect the seeds, choose the right soil for planting seeds, choose a sunny area);
- to protect against fungus, Trichomerdin must be applied to the planting holes;
- carry out timely fertilizing with mineral and nitrogen-containing fertilizers according to the dosage indicated on the package;
- regularly water in the morning and evening hours using warm water for irrigation;
- promptly remove diseased specimens from the area;
- Inspect plants regularly for disease;
- regular loosening and weeding will increase air and moisture permeability of the soil, which will also help to avoid this problem.
Although eggplant is a fanciful culture, difficulties in growing it can be avoided. If you follow the simple rules of agricultural technology and the above recommendations, the problems of yellowing, wilting and drying of leaves on plants can be avoided. Continuation of the article …