A popular perennial plant with broad host leaves, refers to the decorative. Hosta is an unpretentious plant of the lily family, it requires special care. Changing hosts in August is the most important rule.
- Landing hosts
- Summer transplant
- Getting started
- Conclusion <
Despite that this plant is unpretentious, when planting, it is worth considering some features:
- host – a flower growing in the middle lane, it tolerates low temperatures;
- the plant is suitable for hot regions easy to carry it sits drought, but it is preferable to choose shaded places for planting;
- does not like frequent transplants, the best option: it is better not to divide the plant every 5-6 years, in the first year after planting – the host will greatly weaken;>
- perennial has several varieties, some of them can not stand contact with direct sunlight;
- does not like waterlogging of the soil, it is planted on small elevations, and in places where groundwater is close to the ground they provide good drainage;
- the planting dates of some species are very short, so work do not put off until later.
Plants change their habitat rarely, often when planting new flowers or according to changes in the landscape.
A dug host will quickly lose its decorative effect, and will increase leaf mass for a long time. Transplant the plant no more than 1 time in 5 years and only in extreme cases:
- with strong condensation of perennial grass;
- in cases when it is necessary to save the host from pests or disease ;
- when propagating the plant.
It is better to move hosts in the second half of summer, August is well suited. After the vegetative period, the bush grows stronger and tolerates stress more easily. There are varieties of perennials that require transplanting only during this period – Siebold and Tokudam, this is due to the installation of the root system of varieties.
Before transplanting perennial grass to another place, it’s worth planning everything. The main thing is the timing, they are different for each region. For the middle lane, the best time is the beginning of August and the end of September, in the south the best period is mid-August. The onset of cold weather affects the duration of this period: a perennial cannot adapt instantly, it takes at least a month to restore the root system.
Before replant this grass, it is worth preparing the site.
The perennial feels good on almost any soil, but it is better to avoid excessive dampness and waterlogging, as well as clay.
Preparations before planting:
- The planting area for the flower is dug up, all weeds with roots are removed.
- If the ground is mostly sandy, add peat and humus.
- River sand improves the conductivity of water to the roots in heavy soil; when digging it is mixed with soil, it is important not to overdo it.
- If the earth is too poor, add humus, mineral fertilizers and ash.
The choice of location is no less important than preparation the soil. Hosta is a shrub that loves shade. He will feel good in the company of other perennial plantings, not far from the trees.
Before transplanting a flower, a flower bed is abundantly shed a few hours before the action. A little potassium permanganate is added to the water.
Measures for flower transplantation begin with the preparation of the hole, drainage is necessarily laid on its bottom. You can use brick chips, fragments of clay pots, purchased volcanic stone or gravel. Then all the other stages of moving the flower to a new place are performed.
Correct transplantation in August:
- The shrubs are dug carefully, trying to grab as many roots as possible. An earthen ball from the resulting hole is pulled out smoothly. The roots are cleaned of old soil, washed and carefully inspected.If there are affected parts, they are carefully cut with a sharp knife and dipped in a garden var, sprinkled with ash.
- Perennial rejuvenation involves cutting excessively long rhizomes, the bush is divided into several parts. It is easier to manipulate a secateurs or a sharp knife, so the flower will experience less stress than when breaking it with your hands. After dividing, the section is treated with fungicide.
- The bottom of the hole is additionally sprinkled with humus, last year’s foliage can be thrown, then a seedling is immersed in it, the roots are straightened and sprinkled with earth. The root neck is not exposed, but it is not buried too much, the ideal position is at ground level. Mulch on top of fallen leaves or humus, and take dry grass.
If there are several bushes on the site at once, it is worth providing more space than for other plantings. The perennial grows greatly, the optimal distance between the holes is 1 m. errors:
- immediately after planting, fertilizer cannot be applied. The roots recover after stress, bait will negatively affect the condition of the flower;
- mulching covering material is designed to maintain heat and create a favorable microclimate for the root system.Tightness is contraindicated, polyethylene cannot be used;
- if there are a lot of wilted leaves, the flower looks bad, the event is postponed from August to spring. Over the winter, the plant will gain strength and calmly endure stress.
Additionally, slugs can affect the plant. If you do not sprinkle ash on the soil, they will actively multiply and eat leaves.
One of the great perennials – the host – can decorate any site. Landscape designers love to use it to fill a large space or decorate the area around artificial reservoirs. Shrubs multiply by division: having bought one, in a few years it will be possible to grow several large specimens at once. For proper breeding, you need to know how to transplant perennial grass without harming it.