The Karachaevsky breed of sheep was bred in the Karachay-Cherkessia region. The sheep are characterized by the presence of a rough neck. Sheep provides a lot of high quality meat. Farmers appreciate the wool and good yields that these animals bring. The breed also shows a high level of disease resistance.
- Value <
The distinguishing features of the Karachaevsky sheep are as follows:
- Body composition: The sheep are quite strong, have strong hooves, so they easily and without obstacles move around the mountains.
- Representatives of this the rocks are small in size. from sheep – up to 75 kg, females – 45–55 kg. These are average statistics that may vary, depending on the individual characteristics of the animal’s body. Over the entire history of animal husbandry, farmers grew up to 90-100 kg. Body length of lamb – 155 cm , growth at the withers – 55 cm.
- The lambs have a small elongated head. This breed is distinguished by large horns that are twisted and have the appearance of a spiral. Horns of females are smaller in size, directed upward.
- Tail – 50 cm and more resembles the English letter “S”. The base is wide and large (fat tail fat accumulates). The coat is black, but there are individuals of other shades: gray and red. It is a coarse-haired breed, but the fleece is warm and light in weight.
Useful substances accumulate in the fat tail cavity.If sheep have difficulty eating good food, the nutrients come from fat.
Karachay sheep have a high level of disease resistance. They are less susceptible to bacteria and microbes. This is due to proper nutrition and the intake of beneficial substances in the body. Sheep graze in the meadows of the Caucasus mountains, eat selected grass in the diet. New generations are distinguished by better health and genes.
Today, sheep have become more resilient and tolerate harsh climatic conditions.
Karachayevsky sheep do not develop pathological diseases of the lungs and limbs. On the Internet there are unique photos of intrageneric: Kabardinskaya, Ossetian and Circassian. Each variety is characterized by distinctive features.
These animals have a fairly light coat, which is soft and silky, the color is dark, often black. It shimmers beautifully in the sun, smooth and soft to the touch.
These sheep have become popular due to their size, excellent physique, and rapid weight gain. The coat is mostly gray-white in color, coarse but light.
Animals have a lot of fluff.This type of breed has good meat with excellent taste. The coat is predominantly black.
The sheep of the Karachaevsky breed are known even outside their native area. Many people are familiar with these animals due to their delicious meat. Wool is used in various industries. Karachay sheep give a lot of good milk.
Every year, 3-4 kg of valuable wool is sheared from the sheep, and the sheep give up to 3 kg.
The fleece is silky, light and pleasant to the touch. It contains 70% of the fluff, the remaining components are hair. It can be used for sewing burkas and insulated items. Manufacturers make high density felt. Farm owners shear animals no more than 2 times a year.
This breed is one of the most dairy, unlike other fat tail species. The average daily milk yield is 2.5-3 liters. The fat level is about 10%. Farmers often keep early Karachay sheep, which give up to 100 lambs per hundred ewes. Food lovers appreciate lamb for its high palatability. When cutting one carcass, the slaughter amounts to 45%.
Representatives of this breed in many respects are superior to individuals of other types of sheep.The following distinguishing characteristics can be distinguished:
- lack of special conditions of detention;
- unpretentiousness in leaving;
- good health, good offspring;
- resistance to cold and sudden changes in temperature;
- purebred, thanks to which only positive qualities and excellent genes were transmitted to sheep;
- a few centuries ago, sheep lived away from people, so they learned at the genetic level select only valuable and high-quality grass (they can independently provide themselves fully Food for Development)
The only drawback Karachai breed of sheep -. is living in areas which are characterized by a high level of moisture present. They can only eat selected natural food. That is why farmers have difficulty keeping in areas where the arid climate prevails.
Today the Karachaevsky breed of sheep not only found about in the territory of Karachay-Cherkessia, but also in such places as Kabardino-Balkaria and North Ossetia.