Katumsky sheep are artiodactyl animals that have been attached to farming since ancient times.
- Care Features
- Main characteristics
- Breeding and application
- Interesting Facts
- Care Features
Today, the use and breeding of such livestock is very beneficial, since the lamb is considered delicious meat, and the wool of such cattle is dense and most suitable for further processing and sale in this area.
The breed of Katum sheep is somewhat different from other similar genera and families of sheep. Description of the species guarantees 85% increase in survival. An interesting and unusual appearance is of interest even to the most skeptics.
They have the following features:
- Non-standard colors of the coat. Immediately striking red, orange and even cream shade of wool, which can be seen with the naked eye and in the photo. In addition to color, an interesting fact is the presence of spots and marks throughout the body. The longer and thicker the hairline, the more and more clearly they are visible. Such birthmarks can be either white or red in snow-white skin.
- Classification of individuals, which is considered the most undemanding, but hardy.
- The ability to tolerate any climatic disasters, changing weather, temperature fluctuations, humidity and atmospheric pressure.
- The ability to quickly gain weight (maximum up to 120 kg), which allows you to quickly make a livestock turnover . Females grow much worse and reach a weight of up to 80 kg. It is important to know that under the right conditions for 18 months a lamb can weigh about one centner (100 kg).
Features of care
Therefore that Katum is a breed where there is practically no undercoat, they don’t need to cut their hair. Smooth-breed was always held in high esteem by connoisseurs of natural lamb, as not only the size and length of the hair, but also the taste of meat, is very important.
The presence of hair and the absence of a wool layer help quickly and effectively gain weight while maintaining the level of nutrients in the body. In addition, wool is a cover, which is also accompanied by subcutaneous fat, which emits a lot of toxic substances, sweat and, as a result, a specific and not very pleasant smell.
Thus, the absence of a subcoat made the breed of the Katumsky sheep very attractive to farmers for cleaning and use. In summer, sheep’s hair protects the animal from overheating and climatic conditions. In winter, on the contrary, they warm and retain body heat.
Wool and other elements of the body are only additional related products, the main and sought-after product and the result of activity is still meat. Lamb connoisseurs who really understand this food product all speak with one voice that the meat is light and very unusual in taste, and its structure is soft and simply melts in your mouth. At the same time, analysts noted that such meat is a great alternative to any other type, beef, pork or veal.
There is a myth that lamb meat, although it has an excellent taste, has an unpleasant characteristic smell, which is unacceptable in gastronomy and scares off potential consumers.
Smells occur in 2 cases:
- as you grow and gain weight;
- due to the subcutaneous layer of fat and wool wax.
Products The Katumsky sheep does not smell, again due to the lack of undercoat.
Breeding and application
The Katumsky sheep is widely used in agriculture, and the final product is very much appreciated among buyers.When farmers, owners of firms and agricultural enterprises decide to acquire the meat breed of the Katum ram, it is always worth remembering that the skin and the greasy part of the body do not have the proper demand, so all efforts should be devoted to growing the carcass with the maximum meat yield.
At the moment, the cost of a lamb can reach several thousand rubles, while correctly approaching the issue of their breeding, you can pay back the spent capital in a very short period.
Smooth-haired sheep from the Katumsky breed group came from not so ancient times. Katumsky sheep were bred in order to obtain a hybrid of several interesting rams. The breed is nothing, about 20 years old. In the 90s. from America were brought several dozen females, or, more correctly, queens who were crossed with the Romanov ram family. There is a second name, not the most common, is the Catadin breed.
The work of breeders in this industry is really amazing. The fact is that at the very beginning of the experiment, nothing special and supernatural happened. Only a few years later, in the selection process, scientists managed to bring out the modern look of Katum.
- Smooth-haired sheep do not suffer from the infectious and inflammatory diseases inherent in other similar meat breeds. Stable and hardy, they get along in the harshest climatic and weather conditions.
- As statistics and analytics show, lambs are very fertile, you can find out about this from photos and videos, and at the same time they give birth 2- 3 babies without problems.
Features of care
The Katumi meat representatives, as already mentioned, do not require special service and excessive attention, but at the same time a clearly defined and planned diet, proper conditions and facilities must be present.
A ram is an animal, ond most of its life in the pasture. The main advantage can be considered the fact that the construction of his body and body allows them to eat small and juicy grass and plants without unnecessary effort.
Of course, the conditions in the room must comply with some norms and sanitary standards. In the cold season, 10-12 ° C can be considered an acceptable temperature threshold; in summer, the most optimal temperature should be equal to that on the street.
Breeding of meat sheep is popular today, so you need to know that the Katumsky sheep should receive in their diet a sufficient amount of vitamins, minerals, concentrated additives, and not only in the form of powder or granular feed.
For feeding, or just as an additional option, you can use straws or hay of different plants.
Mating can be done after it became clear that the sheep is fully ripe. This occurs between the ages of 16-21 months.
It is worth remembering the use of different preventive measures to prevent the occurrence of frequent invasive disorders. Meat breeds should not be subjected to difficult physical exercises.