Why spend money on feeders for quails in stores, if there is no big problem in making them yourself? Breeding poultry is an already expensive task: equipping a poultry house, if necessary – an incubator, food, vitamins, treatment costs, finally, buying the pets themselves.
- Varieties of feeders
- What should be the feeders
- Hopper feeder made of plastic
- Feeder made of plywood
- From the profile PP
Varieties of feeders
Quail – birds are unclean, constantly scatter food around the cage. As a result, cells have to be cleaned constantly, is there any way to save energy and remove dirt even if is it common, but not daily? There is only one way out: choose a feeder exactly for the age of the pet.
- The bunker quail feeder is made for adults who switched completely to dry food. It is fixed on the outside of the cage, but options for the inside.In stores you can find a more expensive advanced bunker feeder. It is equipped with a timer and a dispenser, automatically pours a certain amount of feed per day. If you urgently need to leave the house for a couple of days without the owner’s eye, this is it. Also, a feeder is needed on large farms.
- Grooves are designed for adult birds and young animals, they can be filled with various feeds.Most models are attached to the outside, so each quail should have an average of 40 mm approach.
- Tray. A trough feeder is made for the smallest birds. They are installed inside the cell, one type of feed is poured. The construction is convenient in that the chicks cannot climb inside and scatter the feed.
- By location, the feeder can be suspended or located on the floor.
What there must be feeders
A do-it-yourself quail feeder, made or bought in a store, must meet the requirements:
- The size of the quail feeders must be large enough to accommodate the feed, and a little more so that the food from them did not spill out and the birds could not scatter it on the floor. The size of the cage must be taken into account.
- The material for the manufacture must be environmentally friendly, non-toxic, such as can be easily cleaned, for example, stainless steel and plastic. A quail trough is made from a profile for suspended ceilings and even from a plumbing pipe. The only rule: materials are selected in terms of safety for pets. It is very easy for birds to injure themselves against sharp corners.
- The bead is of medium height, not too low or high.
- An owner can easily remove and clean an ideal tray for its part, and it should be convenient for use by birds.
- The bird takes up space from 11 mm near the tray.When calculating the size of the feeder, it is important to consider this point.
Plastic hopper feeder
The simplest feeder is made of plastic bottles. It will take 1 or 2 large 2 liter plastic bottles and a knife.
- The container must be cut into 2 parts. At the bottom of the bottle, cut round holes with a diameter sufficient to allow the birds to stick their heads inside.
- Inside the bottom of the bottle, place the top part with the neck down, and the neck should not reach the bottom.
The design is simple, just look at the photo to fully understand the principle of its creation. It works almost like an automatic feeder for hungry quails. The food is poured into the top of the bottle, it is poured through the neck onto the “pan”. Feathered, sticking their heads into the holes, peck the food. As the space in the pallet becomes free, the grain gradually spills into it through the neck.
Unlike metal or plywood, the bottle is not so reliable, albeit simple. Other do-it-yourself quail feeder designs are harder to create than a plastic bottle model, but patience and labor will grind everything.
Drawings are the key to success. Before embarking on the manufacture of a quail feeder, drawings must be made. It’s best to carefully review the video process before starting work.The advantage of the design is reliability compared to the model of plastic containers. You will need a CD60 profile, 2 chipboard, plywood (or plastic sheet, fiberboard), sealant and tools. The material can be used almost any that fell under the arm. If there are pieces of laminate in the workshop, they will do. The main thing is that the product should not be made exclusively of “soft” material.
- Cut the profile and make bends along the edges. Dimensions depend on the number of pets and the size of the cage.
- From the plywood, cut 2 side parts, the lower side of which should be the same width as the profile. The shape of the details resembles the number 7 or boots. Dampen the sidewall of the profile so that the birds do not injure themselves and fit side parts to it.
- The front and rear parts should be the same height with the side “boots”. With the help of tools: screws, screws – to connect all the parts into a single whole.
- It’s time to move on to the “cosmetic” amendments. Use a sealant to fill all the slots that have been noticed so that the grain does not spill out. Remove all excess with a knife.
Everything, you can breathe a sigh of relief: the quail feeder is made with your own hands and efficiently. It remains to install it on a bird cage.
From the PP profile
From what materials do resourceful owners make homemade feeding troughs for their favorite quail! Pipes, bottles – everything is used, what is on the desktop or what can be found in a hardware store. In the latter, poultry farmers purchase PP profiles, meticulously selecting the highest quality and rejecting thin ones.
- Calculate the required size of the feeder. Cut a piece of profile, its length should be same as length on cages for keeping birds.
- Cut out side parts from plywood, their sizes are calculated according to the size of the PP, they can be higher than the profile so that the feed does not fall out.
- Bend the bent edges of the PP and connect with plywood walls, hammer with nails.
- Nail fastenings to the cage.
This is all that needs to be done in order to create a bunker feeder. A detailed diagram – a turn for beginners will salvation, as well as the video of making a feeder. The first time will take more than an hour.
Products can be successfully used to feed not only quails, but also any other poultry, except, possibly, ostriches. Owners with electromechanical skills can try to make an automatic feeder. For it, you must first make a bunker tank, and then equip it with a timer and a dispenser.Ready-made feeder will feed the pets 3 times a day, automatically pouring a portion of grain. Attention: for the product to work, you need to connect to electricity.
When deciding to make a feeder, you need to weigh the pros and cons, soberly assess your abilities. If you do not have experience, and you strongly doubt the successful outcome, it is better to go to the store. Now you know how to make quail feeders, mounted and bunker.