Orchids are known not only for their beauty, but also for their moodiness. If the leaves of the orchid have lost turgor and wrinkle, you will have to find the main reason for this phenomenon and timely resuscitate the plant. Foliage lethargy is a sign of slow flower death.
- What is foliage turgor
- Causes of lethargy of orchid foliage
- Over and under watering
- Overheating of the root system
- Errors in fertilizing the plant
- High density of the substrate
- Diseases <
- How to reanimate the plant
- Preventive measures
What is foliage turgor
T rgor is the health of the orchid leaf plate, its normal and natural appearance. The leaf plate must be erect, dense, resilient and have a light waxy coating.
Orchidaceae are epiphytic plants. conditions not only for the roots, but also for the green mass of the flower, so the leaf turgor of the orchid is an indicator of the health of an exotic pet. And if he disappeared, the plant signals a disease or lack of care from the owner. Also, the plant does not respond well to the depletion of minerals experienced long flowering.
Causes of lethargy of orchid foliage
To organize proper care of orchids, it is important to understand the features of revealing signs of the pathological state of foliage, as well as the main reasons leading to this. If on the stem of an orchid, consisting of 4-5 pairs of leaves, 1 or 2 turn yellow and wrinkle, do not worry. These signs are often characterized by natural processes associated with the aging of green mass and its gradual replacement with young foliage.
If the orchid has lost the turgor of most of its leaves, the problem is not in natural processes. Such signs are observed only when the flower has a weak immunity and suffers from negative factors acting on it. If the leaf turgor of the orchid is lost, the reasons may be:
- excessive or insufficient moisture of the substrate containing the flower;
- overheating of the roots;
- high density soil;
- improper feeding;
The sooner adverse signs are noticed, the faster it will be possible to restore the leaf turgor of the orchid. The main thing is to determine the factors that caused the occurrence of such a phenomenon.
Excessive and insufficient watering
When the orchid loses leaf turgor, the cause is excessive moisture accumulated in the soil. Orchid roots like water, but do not tolerate overflows, therefore, such plants are often planted in containers with drainage holes through which excess moisture flows into a special tray. If moisture is retained in the substrate, the roots begin to rot and the plant becomes sick.
Another reason is the lack of moisture. The overdried substrate ceases to nourish the roots, and the flower slowly dies. Not getting what they want, the orchid weakens: the leaves wrinkle and fade.
Overheating of the root system
For the proper cultivation of Orchids, it is important not only the state of the soil, but also the temperature and humidity. In the summer, the flowers contained on the windowsills suffer from direct sunlight. An increase in temperature helps to accelerate the process of evaporation of moisture from the soil, and scorching sun rays adversely affect the state of leaf plates.
As a result, the roots overheat, the foliage loses its healthy appearance, the flower is sick and dies. Restore the turgor from the cultivated orchid will only be possible if the plant is provided with timely help.It is important to organize suitable conditions for keeping the flower, providing it with diffused light, a favorable temperature and humidity.
Errors in fertilizing the plant
If the orchid has lost the turgor of its leaves, the cause may also there are mistakes in fertilizing the crop. It is important for the pet house to provide top dressing, allowing it to restore its strength after abundant prolonged flowering, to grow the root system and green mass. Fertilizers will also help to grow children – important young shoots for the development of orchids and their reproduction.
When a pet has a healthy and natural look, remember when feeding and what formulations were previously used. The reasons may be:
- Errors in the dosage of mineral compositions and their improper use. Concentrated solutions have a toxic effect on the flowers, and even a few drops on the foliage and the stem cause burns and damage to healthy tissues.
- Use of fertilizers with a high content of potassium. Such dressings stimulate the orchid to bloom, which negatively affects the condition of the roots and green mass.
- Use of tap water for the preparation of solutions with mineral fertilizers. It contains a large number of salts that negatively affect the condition of the roots.
It is possible to return the turgor of orchid leaves if the grower determines his mistakes in caring for the plant.By normalizing the nutrition, it is possible to save the flower and restore its health and natural appearance.
High density of the substrate
Orchids feed on both moisture and air. The root system needs them most. If the soil containing the flower is dense and heavy, the roots will lose ventilation, which will lead to their decay. As a result, the foliage will begin to fade and dry.
The soil in the pot tends to sag and condense over time, so replanting an orchid every 3-4 years is a must. The only exception is specialized granules that do not lose their properties for decades. Such substrates are not suitable for all orchid species.
Most of the diseases that a pet can become infected with are associated with improper care. Rot arises in the roots during excessive watering and low air temperature, and viral and bacterial infections are brought in with working equipment.
The recovery of a flower depends on the characteristics of the disease and on the timeliness and correctness of the care. Infection with viral diseases often leads to the death of orchids.
How to reanimate a plant
The actions of a grower depend on the causes of the pathological condition of the flower.Having identified the signs of negative factors, they are engaged in plant rescue:
- With poor organization of watering. With a lack of moisture, the turgor of orchid leaves can be restored by increasing the frequency of procedures. A sick flower is more actively watered or soaked in water for several hours a day. In case of excess moisture, inspection of the root system and removal of damaged parts with subsequent transplantation is required.
- If there are errors in feeding. The lack of nutrients is compensated by the introduction of a complex composition with a high nitrogen content. Excess fertilizer is decided by washing the roots in water and replanting the flower in a new substrate.
- For diseases. They act according to the characteristics of the treatment. They can use fungicides and root stimulants.
- With a high density of soil. The problem is solved by transplanting into a new light and nutritious soil.
They struggle with signs of overheating by moving the flower tank to another place where the necessary microclimatic conditions (temperature and humidity) will be observed. The flower provides good watering. Spraying a weakly concentrated solution favorably affects.
To ensure that the culture grows healthy and delights the host with abundant and prolonged flowering, care is taken to prevent foliage lethargy.Orchids should be properly:
- water and spray;
- maintain the temperature;
- transplant every 3-4 years .
Preventive spraying from diseases and pests is also useful. If the flower is properly organized, it does not threaten foliage health problems.
An orchid can be resuscitated with lethargy and wrinkling of its foliage only after determining the causes leading to such a pathological condition. Most treatment cases are limited to changing capricious flower care. The need for treatment with specialized drugs is observed only when signs of disease are identified.