Modern beekeepers are constantly looking for more comfortable conditions for their wards, making it easier for themselves to take care of them on a daily basis. Beehive Boa, developed by V. Davydov, has become a real find. Small dimensions, comfort for the life of insects and ease of care are the main advantages of this model.
The design of the Boa constrictor hive surprises with its simplicity and ease of maintenance. Small, thin frames with a slot into which the foundation is inserted. Having a little carpentry experience, even a novice beekeeper can make it with his own hands. Experienced beekeepers recommend starting beekeeping in boa constrictor hives using a simple technology, later adapting it to the climate conditions of their region.
Having familiarized yourself with the advantages of the Boa hive, it is easy to understand how profitable this house is for the wards, easy to make with your own hands. The fact that it is compact and convenient has already been noted, but that’s not all.
- There are no insulation cushions in the hive, no liner. Small size allows you to maintain the temperature at the proper level.
- The hive is made up of small sections. If necessary, they are simply removed or added. This movement does not affect the environment and temperature in other sections.
- The convenience of the design also lies in the fact that harmful insects that are dangerous to bees are at the bottom of the boa constrictor hive. It is enough just to clean the bottom of the hive from debris and mites.
- When used, families are separated artificially, excluding swarming.
- During the wintering period, all individuals independently maintain the internal temperature and fully master their housing.
- A small taphole with a diameter of 13 millimeters.
- The weight of the complete section is only 12 kilograms, which facilitates transportation to the place where the honey plants grow.
- Small frame. There is no need to reinforce the foundation with wire. For this, the sheets of foundation are divided into 4 parts.
- The honey extractor holds two frames.
- For wintering, only five buildings are enough, which do not require insulation.
You can endlessly talk about the advantages of this facility. But nothing is perfect, so the negative points are worth noting.
Evaluating the opinions of experienced beekeepers, you might think that the Boa hive has absolutely no negative sides. But they are, albeit insignificant:
- inconvenience due to the need to divide the standard foundation into 4 parts;
- wintering conditions become more complicated, since swarming is excluded;
- a large number of frames;
- a lot of material is required to manufacture;
- the hive is very high.
The listed disadvantages are difficult to consider as such, since not all professionals agree with this.
Doing it yourself is not difficult. It is necessary to stock up on the presented recommendations, tools, materials. First of all, they make the case, strictly adhering to the dimensions. When it is ready, they begin to create the lid, the bottom. After creating the hive, paint it. This will extend the life of the wood.
What you need
To make a Boa constrictor with your own hands, you need to prepare:
- dry board (length / width / thickness – 40/15/5 cm.);
- circular, Bulgarian;
- frame nails (mm 25);
- self-tapping screws;
- hammer and stem for furniture;
- drill (drill12);
- special paint (Pinotex or Healthy House).
The presented drawings must be taken as a basis for making do-it-yourself boa hives. All data was used by the author Davydov.
- Housing. It is important to drill a tap hole in each. Study the drawing carefully.
- Side wall (drawing).
- Front and back walls (drawing).
- Frame (drawing).
- Plywood cover. It is recommended to insert foam to improve the insulation properties in winter (drawing).
- Bottom. This is a detachable design with a retractable insert (drawing).
The manufacture of a roof liner is not required, since it is not in this hive. Having carefully studied the dimensions, you can see how easy it is to make a boa constrictor hive with your own hands.
Boa constrictor hive frame
The maximum number in each section is 10 pieces. The drawing is shown above. They are thinner than standard Dadan frames and have a characteristic cut located in the upper part. It is not necessary to stretch the wire, because of such dimensions the foundation, even filled with honey, is held securely.
The best example of this do-it-yourself work is the personal experience of a professional owner. In his video, he changed the parameters a little. This should not be done, but use the presented ones.
Features of the content
Caring for the hive The boa constrictor and its inhabitants do not take the beekeeper’s time, do not require complex care. Just do it yourself. For wintering, five buildings are enough for wintering a family. It will take a little more time after the first flyby. In the upper compartments, bees are usually not observed. Pay more attention to the bottom, clean it thoroughly.
After that, conduct a thorough analysis of the condition of the bees, the presence of brood. Then carry out simple activities:
- add frames with foundation;
- increase the number of compartments;
- add a new one with foundation after the first flight;
- even add closer to the brood;
- each subsequent one is installed as necessary above the last upper one;
- if it is necessary to replace the uterus, carry out artificial swarming.
Beekeeping in a boa constrictor
For every beekeeper, honey collection is a crucial moment. The bottom two are usually filled with perga or are empty. The frames from the rest are taken out and the honey is pumped out. For the winter, two are left with sealed honey as complementary foods. During wintering, bees eat about 8 kg. This is how beekeeping takes place in a boa constrictor hive, which practically does not differ from keeping families in traditional hives, but does not cause much trouble.
Breeding queens in a boa constrictor
Beekeepers with such hives note that it is much easier to hatch queens in them. To do this, you will need to make several smaller frames and a bottom according to special parameters. Its dimensions must match the dimensions, but be smaller in height. Then follow the instructions:
- divided into two equal parts;
- place two in a compartment (with brood and fistulous mother liquor);
- close the lid;
- put the next one on top;
- repeat the procedure;
- two uterus usually appear in each;
- uteri are being seated or trying to reunite families;
The method is not available to the Dadans, but does not require a core.
Before the honey of the first flow is pumped out of the frames, the two lower bodies are removed. A standard honey extractor can hold two at once. Honey is sold with combs as there is no wire. With the right approach, each hive yields about 50 kilograms of honey in one season.
Before sending families for the winter, they are examined for the presence of ticks. If this is not done, then the family will die over the winter. Five buildings are enough for wintering.
The opinion of beekeepers
A boa constrictor in an apiary looks like a high-rise building, but it is convenient for bees in such a house. Many professionals have repeatedly noted that such hives annually delight them with a large yield of beekeeping products.
Sergey. Naberezhnye Chelny
“There were 3 Dadans and 4 Boas in our own apiary. Later, Dadant became a lot of trouble. I easily parted with him and for several years now I have been using only boas, which I learned to do with my own hands. I also cast foundation on my own, so many chores are simply excluded. “
Ivan. Altai region
“There are few honey plants in the region. Constantly forced to pull standard hives for transportation. Very bulky and heavy. When he mastered the boa constrictor, life changed. I move even those filled with honey on my own, without any help. The wards are pleased with the amount of the harvest. I plan to replace everything in the apiary with boas, especially since I learned how to make them with my own hands. “