Everyone who decides to take up poultry farming at home needs to prepare nests for the indorets. Musk ducks, as they are also called, are picky, but for the birds to breed well, you need to provide them with places for egg laying. You can do it yourself at home, because it is a simple and not even too tiring procedure.
- What sockets are needed
- General tips for arranging the sockets
- Characteristics of the sockets
- We create a nest with our own hands
You can figure out the intricacies of this work even without a video, although it will undoubtedly be easier with it.To prepare nests by the end of winter: with the onset of the warm season, females begin to play with males and prepare to lay eggs .
What sockets are needed and
It’s necessary not only to make a nest, but also to arrange it properly so that the birds feel safe and comfortable.
- A duck’s nest is located in a remote place in the shade. Females rush only in quiet places, hidden from prying eyes.
- Climatic factors influence the selection of a place for a nest: the site must be dry and not exposed to dampness. Drafts and temperature changes are dangerous for eggs, and the nest needs good ventilation.
- The dimensions of the nest should be large enough. The litter is laid out with straw and hay, and the bird, if she likes the place, will lay it out in addition with her down.
If the owner does not take care of making nests for indigenous birds with his own hands, the female herself will find such a place, possibly even outside the house, if she can get out of it. As a result, the owner will not get bird eggs, but he will lose the mother found in someone’s inhospitable teeth.
General advice on the construction of nests
It is important to observe the iron rule: how many ducks – so many nests, one for each bird. Indoor females do not like crowding and can seriously fight each other, even if their nests are simply located close to each other, so if you keep several females in the same rookery, as is usually the case, you need to make partitions between them. It will be right to keep other domestic birds away from the indochka at this time.
Indochina females are very nervous during laying. They do not tolerate next to themselves not only other females, but also people. It is better for worried owners to pace in alarm outside the coffin and try not to go inside without a good reason. Just in case, so that the birds don’t get scared, do-it-yourself nests for domestic birds should be set up so that the females do not see the incoming owner, and do not touch the birds and their “shelters” when the ducks sit on them: they don’t like this and can stop rush.
It is recommended that you begin to equip the nest for indoutka in the fall. You can equip the nest yourself from the materials that have turned up by the arm, or even better, take a closer look at the behavior of ducks.They will like a pot, or a booth, or a box in the yard – these things are easy to adapt to the needs of females for oviposition. You can take the future nest and transfer it to the caddy: let the female get used to it, sleep in it, and when the time comes, arrange eggs there without fear.
When the duck brings the eggs, do not immediately take them . Poultry houses sometimes begin to pick up eggs immediately, and this speeds up hatching, but it is better to wait – the female insulates each new “baby” with her fluff. After some time, you can slowly begin the selection: unfertilized, dirty or damaged eggs are removed. They should be taken when the bird went for a walk so as not to frighten and discourage her from hunting and hatching offspring.
Characteristics of nests
The place for laying is made almost from anything. Look at the photos with different options and be amazed at how varied in appearance and shape nests can be. The main thing you need to pay attention to is the size.
- According to the rules of the sills, the ducks should not be higher than 10 cm in the house: an adult bird can climb easily, but eggs cannot roll out. On average, the size of the nest itself should be no more than 70 cm, and the height should be up to 25 cm. It is advisable to change the straw litter daily: both the bird and the eggs should not be in the mud. Usually they start to do this in the evenings.
- The nest is placed on the floor, although it can be arranged higher for an indochka, since these birds can fly.Feeding troughs should be placed at some distance from the place where the eggs are hatched – it’s best near the opposite wall opposite the duck shelter.
We create a nest with our own hands
Equip it under the nest you can do anything, down to old barrels, the main thing is that the sizes fit. But even if there are any problems with the size, and the duck is comfortable there, you can still use it, as they say, they do not argue about tastes. Another thing is if you yourself can not get into this shelter to change the litter or pick up the eggs. In such cases, it is better to retrain the bird to sit in another place before it’s too late.
Any hollow box may be suitable as a laying place. It can be put together at home from several unnecessary boards. To make it more convenient, you can use the drawings. Having put together a box, you need to turn it into a cozy nest with a pile of straw.
The material for making the boxes can be any light wood, but in no case metal.
About metal, which is much harder and harder than wood, an indochka can damage eggs by trying to bury them in the litter.