When a pet is staying at home, an allergy sometimes occurs. Domestic decorative rabbits, whose fur is quite thick and dense and can lead to an allergic reaction, are no exception. Allergies to rabbits are often manifested in children whose organisms have not yet formed immunity to withstand the effects of protein compounds present in the rabbit body.
- Nature of allergic reactions to the rabbit
- Rabbit allergy sources
- Symptomatic signs of an allergy
- Protein in the waste products
- Allergy to meat products
- Response to attributes
- Allergy treatment and prevention scheme
The nature of allergic reactions to a rabbit
The appearance of an allergy to a rabbit in a child m It can appear at the very beginning of his life – infancy, when the baby is given his first lure. Baby food often contains rabbit meat that has dietary properties and is perfectly suitable for children compared to the same chicken. Meat is also nutritious, and in quantity the fat contained in it can compete with a turkey. However, the characteristics of the child’s body may not be able to perceive the rabbit protein, causing an allergic reaction.
The allergy that occurs in infancy in a small patient will begin to manifest itself upon further contact with the animal.
In some cases, protein components contained in the skin, coat and secretions of rabbits, for example, saliva, can cause severe allergies.At the same time, the possibility of eating rabbit meat without subsequent reactions is not excluded, but contact with the animals themselves causes allergy symptoms.
Rabbit allergy sources
The main part of allergenic particles, causing the reaction of the child’s body, concentrated in rabbits:
- in the outer skin layers (epidermis) and hair,
- in the excreted saliva,
- in urine and excrement ,
- in meat tissues and internal organs.
Allergic reactions in children by pediatricians began to be observed most often due to the fact that decorative rabbit brings amazing breed animals for home detention, differing coat color, an unusual palette of eye iris. Such decorative rabbits are willingly bred as pets, without thinking about the fact that hybrid breeds took from their ancestors the ability to shed at least two times a year, leaving behind dead skin particles. Falling residues and wool during shedding become one of the main components of house dust, which causes an allergy in the child.
For persons with an increased threshold for sensitivity to the rabbit protein contained in the epidermis, even short-term contact will cause subsequent complications. Allergy to rabbit hair is most common in children.
The urine and feces of rabbits have a high allergic concentration.For this reason, an allergy can form and manifest after two to three rabbit cages.
Symptomatic signs of allergy
The allergy to a rabbit in a child is directly related to the reaction of the child’s body for a certain type of protein, to which an increased threshold of sensitivity has developed.
Protein in the waste products
Allergies caused by urine and excrement of pets can appear quite suddenly, while it Symptoms increase rapidly:
- appears on stopping angry cough,
- there is a feeling of lack of air and there are severe attacks of shortness of breath, like asthma,
- there is a stuffy nasal passage, sneezing, discharge from the nose of a liquid consistency appears,
- there are cases of swelling of the laryngeal tissues,
- redness of the skin in the facial region, cervical region, throughout the body is recorded.
If the patient is diagnosed with bronchial asthma reaction to rabbit waste products can lead to suffocation .
Care for and close contact with animals leads to rhinitis and conjunctivitis in children with an allergic nature.
Allergy to meat products
allergen in a child’s body with the use of rabbit meat, an allergic reaction can occur in the oral mucosa and lower gastric intestinal tract.Among the main symptoms of an allergy to rabbit meat:
- flatulence – bloating,
- pain in the stomach and intestines at the same time or symptomatically ,
- digestive disorders in the form of diarrhea.
In extreme severe cases, anaphylactic shock is noted, the appearance of which is often associated with the use of rabbit meat and alpha galactose contained in it.
Reaction to attributes
In rare cases, children have an allergic reaction not to the animal itself e, but on attributes that are helpers and necessary tools for keeping and caring for rabbits. Such sources of allergens include:
- feed mixtures,
- fillers for domestic rabbit toilet trays,
- animal bedding for cages.
Allergy treatment regimen and prevention
Diagnosis and treatment of rabbit allergy is based on blood tests for the presence of immunoglobulins F213, exaggeration of the required amount indicates a positive reaction.The external signs of the disease – swelling of the larynx, urticaria on the skin, shortness of breath, can also serve as symptoms for diagnosis.
The most important aspect in the treatment of allergic reactions is the frequent confusion of their symptoms with symptoms of acute respiratory infections, so self-treatment often takes time and the disease starts up.
The signs of allergy in children in rabbits manifest themselves and are more acute than in adults and ignoring them can lead to dire consequences.
Among the main drugs prescribed by pediatricians in case of diagnosed childhood allergies:
- antihistamine series,
- corticosteroids for acute leaks.
However, the primary recommendation for the patient will be to eliminate the source of allergies.
If you are not ready to part with your pet, then you can take preventative measures provide some restrictive measures of direct contact:
- the rabbit must have a closed cage from which the animal is allowed to go for a walk daily, while in case of an allergy in a child to a rabbit, other households should be engaged in cleaning the cages,
- the child’s contact with the animal should be mostly visual,
- during molting the rabbit must be combed a place defined for this, in order to maximally collect the wool and dead epidermal particles after the combing procedure,
- the rabbit should be excluded from sitting on upholstered furniture and in bed, and after walking to wash the floors.
It is better to place the cage with the animal away from the children’s th of the room.