The components and layout of the cage for rabbits largely determine the future fate of pets. Everyone who wants to raise healthy animals with good reproductive abilities should be responsible in choosing their future home.
- Necessary materials and cage design
- Cell types
- Mikhailovsky nurseries
- Zolotukhin nurseries
- Maklyak -6
- Making the cell yourself
Of course, it is much easier to buy ready-made automated cells, but experienced breeders say that you can create maximum comfort with your own hands. housing in which all the features of a particular breed of rabbits are taken into account.
Necessary materials and cage design
Each step-by-step instruction on creating a rabbit farm should have a description of the frame construction work, at least four walls, floors, roofs and doors. The material for the cage can be wood or mesh, but metal sheets, including galvanized ones, are strictly prohibited for this purpose. The fact is that in the summer the iron cage will be very hot, and in winter, on the contrary, very cold.
Thick bars or profile pipes are perfect for building a frame and window frames. When making a drawing of a cage for rabbits, it should be borne in mind that the height of the legs should be at least 40 cm.If the structure will be located in an open space, it is better that its height be approximately 1 m from the ground level. Firstly, maintenance of such a cage for rabbits will be much easier, and secondly, it will be more difficult for animals to reach predators.
You can choose different materials for walls and ceilings:
- plywood sheets;
- several wooden boards;
- piece of mesh.
The best materials for laying the floor are a rail or piece of mesh. For buildings located on the street under the open sky, an additional roof is needed, which will reliably protect from snow and rain. It is very important that all compartments are smooth and not pose a danger to the inhabitants of the cage, then splinters or sharp metal ends of the mesh will not cause harm to animals. it makes sense to build multi-tier rabbitry, the height of which is several times larger than usual. Often, a two-tier structure is used for these purposes, but in some cases even a three-tier structure cannot accommodate all pets. cages for rabbits. The most popular models:
- common rabbitry,
- with a range,
- rabbit cages maklyak.
Doors for nests should be made of solid wood linen, and for feeding areas – of wire mesh on the frame. You can build an aviary on the ground next to the nursery walking with a separate entrance. It is necessary to allocate as much territory as possible These portable single-tier structures are very light, and you can move the two-tier building at any time, for example, if rabbitry is in the open air in summer, then it is easy to place it in a barn in winter, where it is much more comfortable for rabbits to survive severe frosts. .
Mating in nurseries, where the couple has the opportunity to walk, is more productive than in normal cells, because it’s no secret that active movement in vivo has a beneficial effect on the overall the well-being of not only the hare, but also the domesticated rabbit, and in particular on the reproductive performance of the rabbit, so if breeding of eared fluffies is planned, the production of an aviary is necessary.
The low-cost, described above cages for rabbits with their own hands are often created and used by non-professional rabbit breeders in their household plots, but the nurseries developed by Mikhailov have technically more an advanced system – building such a cage for rabbits on your own is not so simple.
Mikhailovskaya Farm has its own ventilation system, special shelves for feeding rabbits, a mother queen for nursing and raising rabbits, heated drinking bowls, but chapters Wow, what makes the rabbit cages made by Mikhailov do-it-yourself different is a unique waste management system.
Zolotukhin believes that it’s better if the compartments will not have net or slatted floors, as usual, but plywood or flat slate. The use of such materials makes the pallet a completely useless thing, therefore it is absent in its cages.
It is necessary to cover the floor at a slight angle to the back wall, along which a piece of mesh with a width of about 15 cm is attached. Thanks to this design, animal excrement rolls down to the holes and safely removed through them.
Another innovation of the author is the equipment in the nurseries of tipping feeders, which are not necessary to completely remove their cells for cleaning, they just need to be tilted and wash, then a specially installed spring will return the containers to their place.To prevent rabbits from getting out of the cage for rabbits through the through hole in the hinged feeder, be sure to divide it into 2 parts using the net.
As for the compartment for the mother liquor, according to Zolotukhin, in summer it is completely not necessary. You can simply fence off the required size of your own using a profile board or a piece of plywood and fill it with hay. The rabbits themselves will take on all further work to create nests.
This method of raising offspring is considered as close to natural conditions. As a result, rabbits develop good immunity to infectious diseases.
After the kids grow up a little, the board is removed and the arrangement of the cell changes: it becomes very spacious. With the onset of winter, it will be necessary to put a warm house for the rabbit and her offspring in the previously enclosed compartment.
To carry out the construction and installation of such nurseries, it does not matter if they are single-tiered or multi-tiered, you do not need any special skills and expensive building materials. But without a grid of metal, boards, flat slate, plywood or drywall, profiled pipes and a sheet of metal, it will not be possible to assemble the structure.
The cage for rabbits, their frames and doors are made of wood.As a floor, slate or plywood and mesh are laid. The doors of the feeders are also made of mesh. Thin sheets of metal are used to beat the bars and other wooden ledges.
The nest should be positioned so that it does not get direct sunlight and drafts, which adversely affect not only rabbits, but also adults. That is why the door to the uterine compartment is always continuous. The entrance to the nest of the cage for newborn young rabbits must be provided with a high threshold so that the calves do not accidentally fall out of it (minimum height is 10 cm).
So that the waste from the upper tier does not fall into other departments, but spills outward, they a cage for rabbits so that the back wall of the second floor is at a right angle, and the bottom wall is at an angle.
Maklyak-6 is an improved version of the usual rabbit cells, it can be either one or two-story. In order to make an ideal cage for his pets at home, the author of the idea took the best from Zolotukhin, Mikhailovsky and other rabbit cage schemes developed by rabbit farmers popular in our country. The result is a complex, efficient cell construction. According to the Maklyakov scheme, mainly houses made of chipboard are built, standing on the street all year round. If you want to place your rabbits in the barn, it is better to look at other options.
Main features and design advantages:
- Modularity.The farmer can easily change the purpose of each section independently. For example, the uterine for the rabbit can be altered into a place for fattening.
- Watering troughs and feeders have heating. So, even in severe frosts, animals are always available warm drinking water and fresh food.
- Waste is removed by an advanced system. In such conditions, the operation of rabbitry is simplified.
- Heated uterine compartment. It is always warm and comfortable in the house, even if the temperature outside is freezing.
If the farmer has detailed drawings on hand telling how to build a cage for rabbits, the sketch, dimensions and the correct height of this design, he can try to independently make and equip such a not very simple, but very convenient rabbit farm.
For the manufacture of such a design, experience and certain carpentry vyky. It is advisable to study in detail the photo and video materials, which tells how to make a cage and what features should be considered when working.
Making the cage yourself
Step by step instructions on how to build comfortable cage for rabbits:
- Take standard wooden blocks 50 x 50 mm and assemble the frame.In the places where the feeders will be located, they fix the metal mesh to make the floor out of it.
- Install the back wall and mount the floor in the mother liquors for rounding out from solid material.
- Take plywood sheet and cover the side walls of the nursery, cut out manholes in partitions with a diameter of about 20 cm, so that both females and young animals have the opportunity to move around the rabbitry, attach the partition to the uterine compartment.
- Attach the lids to the nests.
- To divide the nursery into sections, in the center of its frame mount ruyut bar, which is attached to the trough.
- Turn the design and begin to lay the rails mesh floors.
- Install bins feeders and separate place for roughage. As frames, you can use both rods and a grid of 20 x 50 mm cross-section.
- Mount the roof of the nursery and attach the sliding door to the feeders.
- Attach the doors from the mesh to the frame, and nests – continuous with latches.
- For street nurseries in addition mount a roof from a waterproof material. To do this, a rack frame is mounted on an existing roof, and slate or other roofing material is laid on it. The roof structure must necessarily have a slope angle so that rainfall rolls down from the rabbitry.
Before you make a cage for rabbits with your own hands from improvised means, you must draw it on a piece of paper .The drawing should take into account all the features of the future design in detail and contain the dimensions.
Such a cage for rabbits is convenient in that, thanks to the large hopper for feeding, you can immediately load a lot of feed (6 kg or more). Installation of one or several additional tiers is always available in these nurseries. It should be borne in mind that it is necessary to manufacture and fix pallets for collecting waste under each floor. In addition, options with too many tiers are not very preferred. To prevent rabbits (especially young animals) from getting stuck in the net, when arranging a nursery, it is necessary to use material whose cell size does not exceed 2 x 2 cm.
- It is necessary to choose in advance in which place the farm will be located, and only then begin the construction of permanent cages for rabbits. If rabbitry is located on the street, its inhabitants must be reliably protected from strong winds and rainfall. Experienced farmers do not recommend placing the cages in the south of the plot, as it is very sunny there and the animal can get sick from extreme heat.
- The optimal sizes of rabbit cages and each of its tiers are determined depending on the purpose of the breed and the number of rabbits. For example, the lucky owner of giants should provide 3-4 times more space compared to medium-sized pets for large meat rabbits.
- It is better if the roof is removable: in this case, it is easy to sanitize each tier.
- When making the cage, you need to calculate its size so that one adult puffer is kept in a separate compartment. The exception is the uterus: it must be kept with rabbits.
- If the pets will winter in the rabbitry under the open sky, it is better to immediately lay the floors out of wood. The solid bottom must be secured according to the principle of a pallet so that in which case it can always be easily pulled out. It is better to make the upper part of the floor from a slatted board with a pitch of 1.6 cm.
- It is much more convenient to clean half-eaten food and dirty water if you make the feeders and drinking bowls removable.
- If you plan to keep the young offspring on street in winter frosts, the farm should have well-insulated walls. This can be done using any heat-insulating material, such as polystyrene. To prevent moisture in the cells due to the insulation, it is hermetically wrapped with food or any other film before installation. Maternity departments need to be additionally equipped with a heating system so that the litter on which the female and some of her rabbits will sit is always at a comfortable temperature.
- Decorative rabbits and representatives of dwarf breeds should make completely different dwellings. In addition, they definitely need an aviary on the ground.Usually small lop-eared pussies live in beautiful spacious houses with comfortable ladders and shelves.
Making a house for rabbits with their own hands can also teach children to take care of our smaller brothers. You can give the child a brush, let him paint the outer walls of the cell. So he will join physical work and become attached to the animal.
If you plan to keep a decorative pet in the apartment, he also needs a cage, but in this case the finished option is preferable to homemade, so instead of looking for information on how to make cages for adorable rabbits with your own hands It’s best to visit your nearest pet store. On sale there are many convenient and beautiful houses for decorative rabbits, which are kept at home as favorite pets. You can choose from those that are relatively inexpensive. For example, ferplast or triol. The corner cage of ferplast rabbit for dwarf decorative rabbits will perfectly decorate any interior.
Having chosen one of these houses, you won’t need to rack your brains on how to build a good cage for a fluff and where to get detailed photo instructions. In this case, it is also important to cover the house with sawdust or other material, put a feeder and a drinking bowl there and throw branches that love to gnaw animals.