The conclusion of turkey poultry in the incubator is a rather difficult stage, but even the beginning farmer can cope with this task. Turkey has already become a traditional dish on our table, and not only on holidays. Many people eat turkey every day is delicious, nutritious and healthy. As is already well known, America is considered the birthplace of such a bird. The features of its breeding with us are also connected with this.
- How to choose the right breed of turkeys for output in the incubator ?
- Types of incubators
- Making an incubator at home
- Which eggs are suitable for growing at home?
- Correct egg laying in the incubator
- Life of eggs in the incubator
- Useful tips
The bird is very demanding in care, it needs a certain temperament cheers, humidity, nutrition and care. Turkey breeding is now very popular, both industrial and home breeding.
There are several conclusions of turkeys at home . First, and very simple, almost cost-free, is breeding in a natural way. The disadvantage of this breeding is the number of offspring, and the quality sometimes suffers. This is due to the fact that our natural conditions are for birds a comfort zone, not an optimum. The second, and more reliable way is the removal of turkey poultry at home in an incubator. This method guarantees the success and quality of the raised offspring.
How to choose the right breed of turkeys for hatchery?
There are a lot of turkey breeds, there is even a special table for farmers with all the pros and cons of a particular bird species. That is why it is very responsible to choose a breed for output. In this case, you need to consider that turkeys are bred for good and quality meat and for sale. Therefore, turkey poults must not only be of high quality, but also have a presentation.
The main breeds of turkeys are
- North Caucasian bronze rock . This breed is very beneficial for breeding, as the weight of an adult turkey reaches 50 kg. Many domestic manufacturers, both industrial and home-made, choose this breed. Also the pluses of this breed include a large offspring. On average, one turkey of this breed produces 80 eggs per year.
- Bronze broad-chested breed. Has many common characteristics with the North Caucasian breed. In fact, it differs only a little in appearance.
- White broad-breasted breed . This breed is considered one of the best. The number of offspring can reach 100-120 eggs in 12 months, or even more. Accordingly, such a turkey will cost more, and its meat is much better.
Types of incubators
There are different incubators.
If you want future turkeys to feel like they are in natural conditions, then the incubator with top heated and optimal ventilation will come in handy. Unfortunately, such heating has its drawbacks. These include the fact that warm air tends to rise up. That is why if you decide to bring turkey poultry at home in an incubator, then your birds can receive less precious heat. In this aspect, it would be better to take a heated incubator from below.
This will give you a little opportunity to save. Unfortunately, both the one and the second options have one thing in common minus the heating is not uniform, which means it will not be as effective as we would like. In any case, instructions are attached to each equipment. Home-made output devices and the manufacture of such a device as a thermostat and a humidifier are possible, but require certain knowledge and skills from the breeder.
Not all people can make drawings on their own so that in the future they get automation, it’s best to get ready regulator. Of course, folk kulibins have already figured out ways to fix such shortcomings. The camera can be sheathed with special foil to save the heat of turkey eggs. Just remember to make holes for ventilation so that the eggs do not suffocate.
The advantages of growing in an incubator include
- The ability to grow chicks without a mother.
- You control the entire process.
- A large number of turkeys at a time.
Making an incubator at home
Many farmers, in order to get good offspring, try to make a device or tray in order to incubate the turkey. The price of a hatchery incubator may vary depending on what materials go into operation and how you will produce a special tray. In order for incubation and hatching to go well, you need to do the construction yourself, so that it is with automatic egg flipping.
If there is no automatic flipping, but at some stages of cultivation, you need to turn the eggs over several times a day and even at night. . There is a special ne555 circuit or a 555 chip called an interval timer, it is this device that makes the incubator fully autonomous. The incubator construction scheme should be the simplest, not even the coolest incubator can cope with its task if it does not have a heat and air supply controller, such as a refrigerator or microwave.
This design can be made of foam or cardboard box, it must have a grill. Any even the smallest mechanism should have optimal sizes suitable for turkey eggs and chickens.In order not to make a mistake with the size, before you start collecting a home incubator, you should study all kinds of training videos and photos of the construction of this equipment.
Which eggs are suitable for growing at home?
К Unfortunately, not all turkey eggs are suitable for an incubator. If you want a positive result, then the choice of eggs should be treated very carefully.
Criteria for the correct selection of eggs
- Egg shape. It must be strictly regular, slightly oval.
- The shell must be clean and beautiful.
- The surface of the egg is perfectly flat, smooth and whole.
- The egg should not there should be no extra points that are not characteristic of turkey.
Also, before you put the eggs in the incubator, you need to enlighten them.
When enlightened, the eggs should have the following characteristics
- In any egg, the main yolk. It should be exactly in the center, otherwise the egg will not be useless.
- The contours of the yolk should be fuzzy, blurry.
- The chamber with air should be at the blunt end of the egg.
If you adhere to all these criteria, then your hatching eggs will hatch successfully and good fleshy turkeys will grow from them and you won’t think where to put the damaged eggs later.In order to be even more confident in the result, it is best to take eggs from turkeys, more than eight months. But the most suitable season would be spring and autumn. It is during this period that birds give the most offspring. Make sure that you have a table where you will record the output of turkeys in the incubator by days and weeks.
The eggs have a certain shelf life. A maximum of such eggs can be stored for 10 days. After that, they are no longer suitable for an incubator.
You can’t wash the eggs, as you will violate the natural protection of the egg and the turkeys will simply die. As mentioned earlier, turkeys are very demanding on living conditions. Eggs are just the same. For example, storage humidity should be no more than 84%. The storage temperature is much lower than for an adult turkey. Eggs tolerate temperatures up to 12 degrees. But meeting all these conditions will not be enough.
Correct egg laying in the incubator
- You need to prepare the incubator itself. Such preparation begins the day before the bookmark.
- The incubators have not yet provided for humidity control, which is why they put a bowl of water at the bottom. Then the humidity will reach the required level. Of course, to constantly adjust the temperature you need a thermometer. Usually two thermometers are always placed, 2 cm higher from the eggs.
- Eggs are also worth noting. For example, 1 and 2 at opposite ends.This is so that you can turn the eggs every 4 days. A harmless simple pencil is best suited for this purpose.
- When you place the eggs, see that the labels on the top are the same, otherwise you just get confused.
- It is recommended to turn the eggs over every three to four days .
- On the 25th day, such manipulations should be stopped, because your turkey poults will be born soon.
- Place the eggs with a strictly blunt end to the bottom.
The life of eggs in an incubator
Usually, under optimal conditions, from the bookmark to the birth of the first turkey poults, 28 days pass. All these 28 days are taken care of, they maintain temperature and humidity. On all these days the temperature should be different.
- From 1-8 days, the temperature should be 37.8 degrees on thermometer No. 1 and 30 on thermometer No. 2.
- C 9 -21 days, the temperature drops slightly, to 37.6 degrees.
- From 22-25 days the temperature is kept at 37 degrees.
- And from 26 days, turkey poults are slowly starting to appear. At this time, the temperature should be 37.4 degrees on the thermometer No. 1 and 29 on the thermometer No. 2.
At the time when the chicks are already beginning to appear in the light, the temperature is reduced to 36 and the air intake is increased , since already hatched chicks need a lot of oxygen. If you want a good and healthy offspring, then the eggs need to be turned up to 4 times a day.If everything goes well, then after two weeks the respiratory organ is formed in the bird, and it helps the chick to breathe all this time.
When the chick just starts to hatch, this is visible with the naked eye. But this process is not fast, so be patient. With normal development, the egg should be dark, and the contours are constantly changing. If this does not happen, most likely your chick is dead. After these actions, the turns are already stopped. There should be a lot of oxygen and heat in the incubator during this period.
Especially in the first weeks of life at home, you should take care of the chicks. eat boiled eggs, cottage cheese, corn grits and millet. This diet will give them strength to grow and develop. Be very careful as the appliance has a heating element and the incubator is powered by electricity, which can turn off and then all the chicks will die. Therefore, it is best to have a generator.
It is worth remembering that the turkey poultry hatch for about 10 hours. Therefore, you should be patient, because the process will be long. If you follow all the recommendations exactly and adhere to all the rules at home, your chicks will be healthy and grow good fleshy turkeys from them.