Farrow (the birth of a pig) is an important event in the life of any farmer, since the productivity of the enterprise depends on its success.
- Calculate Estimated Delivery Time
- Number of piglets per farrow
- Preparation for childbirth
- Delivery place
- Harbinger of Pigs
- Birth process
- Possible consequences
- Animal care
The owner should be well prepared for replenishment of livestock, study the issue so that the process goes smoothly and without any time, it is necessary to know the physiology and anatomy of the animal, how to properly feed a new mother, how to give birth, how many days work can begin, what are the signs of the beginning of the resolution of the burden etc.
If you follow certain recommendations, farrowing at home will be easy. Complications arise only in the case of pathologies and untimely assistance, therefore, from the day of conception, it is necessary to examine the animal and control the development of the fetus with the help of tests and ultrasound.
Calculate the approximate delivery time
The female gives birth on average to 114 days. These terms are movable: from 110 to 120 days. Basically, it all depends on factors such as care, nutrition and comfort.Also, the age of the individual affects the time of birth: according to statistics, young pigs giving birth for the first time always overeat, and massive seasoned sows give birth ahead of schedule.
A delay, or, conversely, an acceleration of one week is considered normal. p37>
Scientists have calculated that only 25% of pigs give birth on time, 30% – ahead of schedule, and 45% later.
You should be on the alert. It is better to transfer a pregnant pig to a separate room, where it will be under constant surveillance. Better yet, keep a calendar. For example, if a female was fertilized on April 20, then you can take birth on August 8 (plus or minus a week).
Number of piglets per farrow
Unfortunately, it is impossible to accurately determine the amount of future offspring at home. Those who are fundamentally important to know this figure should take the animal to ultrasound. This is a painless process, and therefore the female will not experience stress.
There are a number of factors on which the number of offspring depends. These include the following:
- pig age (young offspring are usually less than adults);
- first or not birth ;
- balanced nutrition (the better the animals are fed, the greater the chances of getting hardy and multiple offspring);
- conditions of detention;
- female’s health;
If the female gives birth for the first time, large offspring should not be expected, since even multiple individuals give birth to no more than 6-8 piglets. But an adult and experienced sow leads 10-12 piglets at a time.
Preparation for childbirth
A future sow requires special attention, care and care. It is necessary to clearly fulfill all of the following points:
- It is necessary to feed the mumps with fresh products, since poor or low-quality can badly affect pregnancy, up to the point that the fetus will resolve. A pregnant sow should receive the necessary amount of vitamins and minerals for the normal development of offspring and successful childbirth. During pregnancy, special attention should be paid to products containing phosphorus, calcium, chlorine and sodium.
- Food should be slightly salted. This is necessary in order to restore the normal content of sodium in the body, which is washed out, but is very necessary for the normal development of the fetus.
- Due to the fact that the pig is not a very clean animal, it is necessary to periodically conduct helminth therapy. This will protect the pigs from the bad effects of helminths.
- When the time is right, the amount of food consumed should be reduced. This is due to the fact that the full intestine presses on the uterus and can cause premature birth. Also, such an action reduces the likelihood of pathologies.
- Due to the fact that the pregnant pig does not move much, it must be made to walk from time to time so that it does not become very fat and can easily give birth.
During this period try to give food that has a mild laxative effect. They give food in liquid or semi-liquid form to avoid intestinal pressure on the uterus.
Place for delivery
No matter how many pigs get in one farrow, you should definitely prepare a place for farrowing at home. For the process to succeed, you must carefully choose a place. To do this, perform the following steps
- disinfect the room to avoid infections and infections;
- remove excess objects from the room;
- whiten the walls and ceiling (for this it’s better use ordinary lime);
- ventilate the room well;
- place a bed of straw or hay on the floor;
The room must have certain temperature conditions: temperature from 18 ° С to 25 ° С is considered comfortable. This should be paid special attention in the winter. Be sure to protect the sow from drafts. If the summer is hot and the female is uncomfortable, she can be slightly sprayed with water at room temperature.
In order to have a delivery successfully, you need to prepare all the necessary items in advance.
- a piece of clean cloth;
- sterile gloves;
- pharmaceutical iodine (iodine concentration should be 5%);
- a solution of potassium permanganate (weak, it should be slightly purple in color and prepared immediately before childbirth).
If the female gives birth in the cold season, the place where the pigs will be located immediately after birth requires special heating. You need to install several lamps, preferably infrared, with a power of 200 watts. The temperature should be kept at 27-30 ° C. In order to control the temperature, it is also advisable to install a thermometer.
Harbinger of precursors in a pig
You need to be very careful not to miss the moment when the pig starts to give birth. It is easy to determine this: there are signs of harbingers.
- Noticeable the lower back sags as the belly goes down.
- The mumps becomes even more motionless and cautious, less often gets up.
- During the day, the udder changes. It slightly increases and becomes curls loose, and when pressure is applied to the nipples, colostrum is released – it is colostrum.
- The behavior of the animal changes. A few days before the farrowing, the pig rakes the litter in one place, making a nest.
- The female begins to behave restlessly.
- The animal’s breathing becomes frequent.
- Mucus begins to secrete from the uterus.
Pigs give birth in pigs very often at night. In this regard, the observation of the animal should be constant and round-the-clock, but unobtrusive, so as not to frighten the female. Only control will help not miss the signs of an approaching event.
The birth process
Farrowing is the most important stage in the process of caring for pigs, since the profitability of the whole event depends on it.For the pig, it is important that the birth is taken by a person whom she knows and trusts. Best of all, the presence of the veterinarian and the owner of the animal. Pigs will be agitated before birth and should be reassured.
- If the animal lies on its side, childbirth begins. The process occurs from two horns of the uterus in turn.
- Contractions occur as in humans: first rare and mild, then frequent and strong.
- There is a 5- 30 minutes.
- The shortest interval between the birth of the first and second pigs. Further, the process slows down significantly and can last up to half an hour between each individual.
How long can the animal give birth to piglets? If you are lucky, farrowing will not last long: from 2 to 6 hours. In some cases, if the birth is difficult, it can last up to 10 hours.
If more piglets should appear, and the fights have stopped and the female no longer gives birth, you need to invite a specialist. There can be many reasons for this: the female is tired or she cannot push the fetus out. Before farrowing, it is recommended that a beginning farmer study this question in more detail, you can watch training videos, photos, and invite a veterinarian to the birth. If you follow all the instructions, everything will be easy and successful.
The actions of people during childbirth should be as follows:
- Each piglet born should be wiped with a clean cloth and see exactly who was born.
- Cut the umbilical cord, thread the belly and treat it with iodine.
- If the pig comes out in the bladder, it is torn and helps the animal breathe.
If after farrowing, the pig behaves calmly, which means that everything is fine and piglets can be attached to the udder, having previously treated them with a weak solution of potassium permanganate. Getting colostrum in the first hours of life will strengthen the immunity of piglets and ease the state of the sow.
Do not take the young from the female, as she will be nervous and look for them, and such small pigs may not stand up on their own. It is very important to keep and feed the piglets with the mother.
During the farrowing, complications are possible, which is why the sow needs a man.
Causes of complications can become:
- weak labor;
- wrong position of the piglets;
- too big a pig;
- constipation in a sow.
If the delivery is delayed and the pigs do not come out on their own, the person must pull them out by washing his hands and greasing them with petroleum jelly. Piglets who died during childbirth are immediately removed so that the sow does not crush them. If labor is weakened after the birth of the first piglets, they are applied to the udder, which helps to reduce the uterus and strengthen labor. If this does not help, the sow is injected with oxytocin. Any dosage of the drug is selected exclusively by the veterinarian, taking into account the characteristics of the female ..
Caring for animals
After giving birth, piglets and mumps need proper care.
- The sow is washed, wiped and transferred to a dry place.
- Piglets are constantly watched as they move little and the sow can simply crush them.
- The pig can be fed after 9 hours after giving birth. If she refuses to feed, they offer her sugar water.
Appetite is an indication that the birth was successful. If the female refuses to eat, then perhaps she had health problems and it is better to show the animal to the veterinarian. If the pig does not want to feed the piglets, but lies on his stomach, she has problems with the digestive tract and she just needs to give a laxative. If the farmer does not know how to properly care for the mumps, he should watch a video and photo on this topic.
To understand what the farmer needs to know to conduct successful pig births and in order for the birth of viable offspring that can make a profit in the future, you need to talk with professionals. To do this, people who want to farm can go to the forums. It is also recommended that you study all the videos on raising, raising and caring for pigs.
If you follow these recommendations, the offspring will be strong and healthy. Any animal cares and attention is important.People should not abandon their wards during such a process, they need help as much as possible, no matter how long it takes.