Orchid is a delicate plant, it requires competent care. If the roots of the orchid decay, the flower has to be revived in stages.
- Reasons <
- Definition of the problem
- How to distinguish living roots from rotten
- Recovery of partially damaged copies
- Methods of restoration of a flower without roots
- Greenhouse method
- Germination conditions
- Without the use of the greenhouse
- Caring for the outlet
- Resuscitation periods
- Conclusion <
The problem of decay roots occurs in the winter, when the flower is in a poorly lit place. In a transparent container, it is possible to monitor how the roots change color, darken, and then rot.
The following conditions also affect the root rotting process:
- If the roots fade, dry out and turn black, the orchid suffers from drought.
- The roots die because the plant is flooded.
- The orchid disappears at home due to insufficient lighting, oversupply or lack of fertilizer, damage by pests and diseases.
- Too dense sub stratum is another common reason why roots rot in an orchid.
- Mechanical damage to roots during propagation or transplantation.
Definition of the problem
To save an orchid with rotten roots at home is real, if you catch on time. A number of signs point to the problem:
- the aerial roots turned black, look damp or dried;
- the leaves wilted, became soft and less elastic, do not recover even after watering;
- that the roots of an orchid rot, a green coating on the walls of the pot (traces of sporulation or algae) testifies;
- the release of a large amount of liquid when clicking on the roots;
- flower , which has rotten underground and aerial roots, will hang in the pot from side to side;
- the blooming orchid has darkened, wilted and whether the buds have fallen;
- the leaves dry or become lethargic, dark.
If any of the signs is detected, the flower is removed from the pot and the root system is carefully examined. Roots that are completely decayed are removed, after which the plant is resuscitated.
How to distinguish living roots from rotten ones
Living roots from those that have already begun rotting are distinguished by the following symptoms:
- Living roots, despite the color, always have a dense and solid structure when pressed.
- The rotten root system is brown, sometimes turns black.
- When pressed in places of decay, the roots are hollow and slimy. The upper cover of such roots is always easily removed, they look like bare threads.
Restore partially damaged specimens
If the orchid has only rotted roots, they grow on their own. To carry out the manipulation, prepare a sterile cutting object: secateurs or scissors. First, roots that rot or have already completely blackened are removed. The roots, which have just begun to rot, are removed to a healthy green part, then sprinkled with charcoal. Also, the slice is treated with cinnamon, sulfur, or any good alcohol-free antiseptic. The same is done with the roots that have been preserved.
Then, the treated plant is planted in a new container with a diameter of 6-7 cm. It should contain a nutrient mixture.
Next, the orchid is given proper care to help more quickly to recover:
- provide 12-hour diffused lighting;
- set the temperature regime within 20-25 ° C;
- maintain high humidity – 70-80 %.
The usual watering of the substrate is replaced by irrigation. A container with a flower is placed on a pallet with wet pebbles or expanded clay to provide moisture from below.
A month later, under these conditions, the plant releases young roots.
Ways to restore a flower without roots
If all the roots of the orchid have decayed, the plant can be restored, although it is much easier to save an orchid with rotten roots than an instance completely without roots.
The choice of restoration method depends from:
- the state of the flower that began to rot;
- the number and condition of the leaves (they can be rotten, lethargic, contain black spots and fall off in large quantities);
- the number of formed root primordia th at the base of the leaf rosette.
socket that dies has the languid, drooping leaves, for a long time does not bloom and fade with time, and black. For resuscitation, a high-quality and nutritious substrate with a good structure is required. For this purpose, chopped moss-sphagnum is suitable.
In the process of building watering plants are minimized, it is produced only in case of complete drying of the earthen coma. With excessive watering, the roots that remain will rot again. A flower is watered in the mornings, and only with warm, standing water.
The greenhouse method
If there is a window greenhouse with high air humidity and a stable high temperature regime, it is really possible to reanimate even a specimen, whose roots are completely rotted.
Treatment of plants is carried out in a special container.At the bottom of the tank pour 2-3 cm expanded clay. Wet and shredded sphagnum moss is placed on top of expanded clay.
On top of the moss, they are thoroughly irrigated from the spray gun, then a leaf outlet without roots is placed in this medium. The plant is kept under such conditions until it releases roots 4-5 cm long.
For the resuscitation to succeed, the plant is provided with optimal conditions :
- temperature in the range of 22-28 ° С;
- almost 100% air humidity through frequent irrigation;
- bright, scattered 12- hourly lighting.
To stimulate and accelerate the process of root formation in an orchid, the greenhouse is aired daily at night.
In the process of resuscitation, a leaf outlet regularly inspect for rot.
If all the rules are followed, the result will not be long in coming: after 2 weeks the plant will release the first roots.
Without the use of the greenhouse
If the roots of an orchid rot, it is possible to save it in ordinary room conditions. The main thing is to provide the plant with a stable temperature in the range of 20-27 ° C. Stray daylight is also required for 12 hours.
The treated outlet is placed in a transparent glass or plastic container. The socket is attached to the tank so that only the basal part is immersed in water. The vessel is filled with boiled or distilled water.Water is poured to the level of the root neck.
To prevent the process of decay of the root zone, 1 tablet of activated carbon is put into the water. After 10 hours, the outlet is removed, dried and left in this condition until the next morning. Then the flower is planted in a well-moistened sphagnum moss, the root part is irrigated daily with water from a spray gun.
If the orchid has rotted roots, it is revived in a more efficient and faster way: sugar syrup or honey is added to 1 liter of water (1 hour) . l.). The basal zone is dipped in a nutrient solution for a day. Then it is removed, dried and planted in crushed sphagnum moss. Such a flower is moistened daily with a spray gun.
Care for the outlet
The plant needs careful care at all stages of resuscitation. The process will be successful provided that:
- regular application of weakly concentrated complex fertilizing;
- fertilizers with iron to help the plant recover faster;
- pouring once a month the root stimulant – Epina, Heteroauxin or Kornevin.
The orchid is tidied up in a warm place with bright diffused lighting.
The decay of the underground part of the flower can begin at any time of the year. Plants recover especially well in the spring-summer period, during the active vegetation phase.
In order to save the orchid, which has rotted roots, in winter, it is important to provide optimal conditions for germinating the roots that remain.
Reanimate a plant with rotten roots at home is real. The main thing is to notice the problem in time and provide the flower with comfortable conditions for restoration.