Rules for planting potatoes in the beds
One of the most common methods of growing is to plant potatoes in the beds. This is a great option for planting tubers for lazy gardeners.
- Pluses of planting potatoes in beds
- Narrow beds
- Warm beds
- Production of a bed-box
- Vertical beds
Advantages of planting potatoes in beds
Thanks to planting potatoes in beds, it is possible not to loosen the soil and hilling. to grow give birth on any soil, even the poorest loam.
Also include the advantages:
- ease of watering ridges;
- saving space on the land;
- yield increase.
Most often, potatoes are planted in narrow ridges. Before that, the plot is cleaned of weed grass and its rhizomes. Weed removal is important. This eliminates frequent weeding and greatly facilitates the work of gardeners. The land is also leveled with a rake, breaking large clods along the way.
Even before the start of field work, they plan the location of ridges. In the future, they will not change, and they do not dig up the aisle at all: this simplifies the autumn digging, and also reduces the fertilizer consumption.Narrow ridges take up a third less space on the site.
Features of narrow ridges:
- Dimensions – width 45 cm, length – up to 9 m. Such dimensions are convenient for watering and fertilizing.
- Ridges never loosen and spud, because the root system of potatoes is in the upper layers of the soil, and it is easy to damage.
- With good watering and top dressing, the crop rises quickly and gives a high yield . In the southern regions, due to planting in narrow ridges, the crop is harvested 2 times per season.
Potatoes can be planted in beds on clay soils or in adverse weather conditions warm ridges. This method is especially good for early varieties.
When planting sprouted tubers, 1 tbsp is placed in each hole. l vermicompost and wood ash. Cells for planting potatoes on the bed are dug in 2 rows in a checkerboard pattern. In case of small morning frosts, the ridges with planted or already sprouted potatoes are covered with straw or freshly cut grass without seeds. Warm ridges on cool days are covered with plastic wrap
To protect the soil from adverse weather conditions, potatoes are covered with mulch. Mulch retains heat and moisture well, improves potato germination and inhibits weed growth.For mulching potatoes, apply:
- tree bark;
- spruce needles.
There is another way to grow potatoes. With this method of growing, potatoes are protected from cold weather and sudden changes in temperature. The box is easily covered with a film or other covering material.
Making a bed-box
To make the box you need:
- boards (you can use the old );
- nails or screws;
- varnish or paint.
We do not recommend using flat or wave slate as the basis for ridges. Asbestos, used in their production, poisons the soil.
- Boxes are made for more than one year. To serve the tree for a long time, it is treated with paint or varnish. Some practice blowing boards with a blowtorch. The easiest option is to whitewash the slaked lime.
- Wooden boxes are knocked together up to 6 m long. The width should not exceed 1 m and the height should be 40 – 50 cm. For convenience when caring for potatoes, the distance between the boxes should be 60 see. The box is filled with sawdust, rotted compost, peat and sand.
- Germinated tubers are put in holes in 2 rows in a checkerboard pattern. They are sprinkled with earth with the addition of ash, after which they are covered with mulch from compost, sawdust and peat. As potatoes grow, mulch is added to a height of 20-30 cm.
- Arcs are installed above the garden bed and covered with foil. When growing potatoes in boxes abundantly watered, but not more than 2 times a week. The crop does not need to be fertilized, because the mulch contains everything you need.
For lovers of new and economical methods of growing tubers, there is a vertical method landing. It involves planting the culture in bags, old barrels or large cans. This method is good in small areas with poor soil.
The bag should be convenient for transportation and have holes for airing the roots after watering. The diameter of the holes is 1 cm. The capacity is filled by 10 cm with a mixture of soil, peat and humus. Sprouted tuber or chopped quarters with a large number of eyes are placed by sprouts on top. After planting, they are watered well.
As soon as the sprout reaches about 7 cm in height, the soil mixture is added to the level of the last leaves. So they continue to do so long as there is enough volume of the bag or canister. Such manipulations replace hilling when growing crops in open ground.
The method of planting potatoes in double furrow ridges is no less interesting. Leaves, straw, compost with ash are laid at the bottom, and sprouted tuber is placed on top.
When planting in double rows, it is good to use tubers cut in half. Cutting is done so that eyes remain on all parts of the potato.