Onions Stuttgart Riesen is one of the most popular varieties among summer residents. He got his popularity due to its high productivity, good keeping quality and excellent taste. This German variety of onions has long been grown in vegetable gardens in many parts of the world, and it has good reviews among vegetable growers.
- Description of the onion variety Stuttgart Riesen
- Growing winter onions Stuttgart Riesen from seeds
- Rules for planting onions Stuttgart Riesen
- Spring planting onions Stuttgart Riesen through seedlings
- Onion sev Stuttgart Riesen – landing
- Fertilizer onions Stuttgart Riesen
- Fighting onion fly
Growing this variety does not deliver much troubles, because onions are absolutely unpretentious to the environment of their growth. Care is limited to watering and weeding. But it is also important to know when and how to plant this crop.
Description of the variety of onions Stuttgart Riesen
Onion set Stuttgart Riesen belongs to the varieties of German selection. Over the past few decades, he has gained extraordinary popularity among gardeners and vegetable growers around the world, and all thanks to its varietal qualities. Variety Stuttgart Riesen is distinguished by:
- high productivity – 6-8 kg per 1 sq. Km.m, even with poor watering and negligible care receive at least 5 kg;
- excellent presentation – round flat bulbs weighing 130-200 g, color from milky white to dark gold;
- good taste – the internal white flakes are juicy, fleshy, moderately sharp, great for salads;
- rich in vitamin C – leaves and bulbs contain a large amount of this vitamin, which is preserved even in winter storage period;
- excellent shelf life – can be stored in cellars, refrigerators or treasures oh;
- frost resistance – not afraid of frost, therefore suitable for early planting;
- resistant to downy mildew – does not require processing with specialized preparations, which significantly saves money and time.
The official description of the variety suggests that the Stutgerter Riesen onion from the seeds belongs to the early. The period from planting to technical maturity is only 65-70 days, depending on weather conditions. If the summer is cloudy and cold, then this period is extended by a week. This applies to planting onion sets, but when planting onion seeds Stuttgart Riesen, the period from seedlings to technical maturity is 100-110 days. Proper planting and care of the crop will allow you to grow a good harvest.
This variety is good for eating not only fresh, but also for preservation, preparation of first and second courses.Due to the large amount of dry substances contained in the bulbs, the variety is suitable for drying and freezing.
Growing winter onions Stuttgart Riesen from seeds
For growing onions Stuttgart Riesen description is advised to start from the seeds. Fertile lands are perfect for such purposes, although this variety is unpretentious and can grow in any conditions, which is its feature. To plant Stuttgart Riesen onion from seeds is recommended at the place where last year grew:
- zucchini .
Also, turnip onion feels great after siderats, which means you can plant it after rye, mustard, lupine.
Planting is done in autumn and spring, you can also grow vegetables through seedlings that are sown in early spring in boxes. Winter planting of onion seeds Stuttgart Riesen is more favorable, as the ripening of the bulbs occurs 1-1.5 months earlier than during spring planting. Winter onions are always stronger and larger, and also more resistant to diseases and parasites. Many summer residents note that onions planted in the fall are less likely to shoot.
When planting in winter, you must consider that the onions must go into the winter with a stronger horse system and a few feathers. This will help the young plant to overwinter favorably in the snow.In spring, as soon as the snow falls and the sun warms, the onion will immediately grow.
In the winter, the Stuttgart Risen onion from seeds begins to be planted on August 15-25. A plot of land is cleaned of weed and contribute 5 kg of humus per 1 square. m. This will allow you to grow bulbs larger. 3 cm deep grooves are made in the soil at a distance of 30-35 cm from each other. A deeper planting will not allow the bulbs to form normally and reduce productivity, the bulbs will be deformed. If the planting is less deep, it is more likely that the bulbs will freeze or wash out in rains.
Rules for planting onions Stuttgart Riesen
If you follow a certain planting algorithm, you can get a good crop even from a small section :
- Seeds of varietal onions Stuttgart soaked for a day in warm water. Water is periodically changed. They do this in order to remove from the seeds an excess of essential oils that prevent the seeds from germinating quickly.
- After soaking, the seeds are slightly dried. This is done on a paper towel, napkins or toilet paper.
- For convenience, the seeds are dusted with chalk during planting, but this is not necessary.
- Moisturize the grooves.
- Plant the onions are thick and thinned out after germination, leaving 5-7 cm between the plants.
- Immediately after planting, watering is not carried out, as a crust may form, which makes germination difficult. In very hot weather, drip irrigation is recommended.
- In winter, the ridges are mulched with peat, dry grass or fallen leaves.
The beds need to be broken in time from the weeds and loosened for better ventilation of the onion rhizomes. The depth of cultivation is required small so as not to damage the young onions. The soil should not dry out, because this will affect not only the yield, but also the taste of the vegetable. When growing onions Stuttgart Riesen special care does not require large expenditures both physical and material.
Spring planting onions Stuttgart Riesen through seedlings
Also grow onions varieties Stuttgart Riesen through seedlings. To do this, the onion seeds of Stuttgart Riesen are sown in boxes with fertile soil in early March. By May, onions will already grow 3-4 feathers and get strong enough so that it can be easily transplanted into the open ground.
In order for the shoots to be strong and yield a rich harvest, remember:
- before planting, the seeds are soaked in warm water for a day, changing it 2-3 times during this period;
- seeds are planted at a distance of 1 cm from each other, if the planting is thickened, then thin out if necessary;
- they support the earth in damp boxes, overfilling is dangerous by biting the roots of the onion and its further death;
- seedlings are cleaned in warm m This is until the first shoots appear, then they are placed in a bright, cool place (not higher than 16 ° C).
Reinforced seedlings in early May, if weather conditions permit, are planted in rows. The distance between the bulbs should be at least 20 cm from all sides. This will allow her to form normally and reach 180-200.
Onion sev Stuttgart Riesen – planting
Some gardeners practice planting in a different way. Onion sets of the Stuttgart Riesen variety are planted in spring in beds at a distance of 10-13 cm from each other. The distance between the rows should remain at least 25-30 cm. Bulbs of sevka are sorted and disinfected in a solution of potassium permanganate and salt. For 3 liters of water is taken 1 tbsp. l salt and potassium permanganate to slightly tint water. In this solution, the seeds are aged for 5-10 minutes. The smallest ones are recommended to be planted in early spring, immediately after the thawing of the earth, and those that are larger, at the end of March-April, when the earth warms up.
Before planting the seedling, it is necessary to soak the bulbs for 10-15 hours in warm water, which is periodically replaced.
After planting the beds are abundantly watered. On favorable fertile soils, the Stuttgart Riesen variety does not need additional fertilizing, but if the land is depleted, humus is introduced before planting and urea is calculated at the rate of 1 tbsp. l on 12 l of water. Top dressing is performed immediately after the appearance of the first leaves.
An important role for obtaining a rich harvest is played by the quality of onion sets.If planting material is affected by fungi and parasites, it is likely to bring them into the ground in its area. It is better to buy onion sets in specialized stores or in nurseries.
Onions of Stuttgart, according to the variety description, are also planted on a feather. In this case, incisions are made on the bulbs directly at the growth point. They are planted in ridges tightly to each other or with a continuous carpet. Greens get a sharp, aromatic, rich green color.
Fertilizer of onions Stuttgart Riesen
To obtain a good crop, it is recommended to fertilize the plant and remove weeds in a timely manner, which take away nutrients from the onion. 2 weeks after the appearance of the first seedlings, the onions are fertilized with urea at the rate of 25 g (1 tbsp.) Per 12 liters of water. A month after feeding, superphosphate and potassium salt are added. The third feeding is done during the formation of the bulbs. For this, also they use potassium salt and superphosphate. Onion growth is perfectly influenced by the autumn application of humus in the soil. Fresh mullein is strictly forbidden to use, since, by decaying, it not only burns the roots of the bulbs, but also hinders their ripening. Another danger that fresh dung, parasites and pests.
As you grow, you need to observe the changes that occur with the plant:
- With a lack of nitrogen, the feather turns white, from the photo you can see how the damaged stem will look . Gardeners often confuse this phenomenon with sunburns, but shading will not help here. In addition to brightening the leaves, the bulb stops growing. It is necessary to fertilize with nitrogen fertilizers. If you plant onions in the ground, where legumes previously grew, then nitrogen deficiency can be avoided.
- With a lack of potassium, the feather withers and wilts.This is similar to a lack of watering, but even with regular wetting of the ground, the leaves may fade. Onions are fertilized with potash fertilizers and cut off withered feathers if necessary.
- With a lack of phosphorus, the feather acquires a dark green color, characteristic of the variety, and dries. It all starts with the ends of the leaves, but over time, the plant completely dries and dies. Phosphorus-containing fertilizers must be applied.
Fighting the onion fly
Despite the fact that the onion Stuttgart Riesen is not susceptible to most diseases, it does not resist the onion fly unable. This insect lays eggs on onion beds, hatched larvae infect the flesh of the bulb, which leads to decay and death of the plant. Worm bulbs are unsuitable for food consumption.
The fight against this pest begins with the prevention of its appearance:
- planting onions next to carrots – the smell of carrots repels the onion fly;
- maintaining crop rotation – it is not recommended to plant onions in the same place for several years in a row;
- mulching the beds – in such soil the fly will not be able to lay eggs;
- processing the bulbs before planting – soaking in a solution of potassium permanganate and salt;
- autumn digging of the soil – guarantees freezing of larvae in the winter .
Proper planting of onions Stuttgart Riesen, as well as full-fledged care of the crop will allow you to get a completely rich crop.In addition to proper planting and care, this variety also requires proper storage. Any culture requires attention at all stages of planting: proper sowing, irrigation system, weeding and proper storage.