There is a special technology for growing any vegetable, as well as conditions for harvesting a large crop, and growing onions in this regard is no exception. It’s not enough to know that you need to make a hole in the ground, put a sowing in it and bury it, you need to find out which soil is better, which care conditions are important. Everyone wants a quality and good onion. Shetan’s onion set is one of the most used.
- Description <
- Characteristics of Shetan
- Cultivation of
- Yields of Shetan
- Peronosporosis and methods of dealing with it
Description and characteristics of the variety provide an opportunity to study the features of caring for onions of this kind. medium-early varieties, it is recommended to plant it in small summer cottages and garden plots. the registry for the Central and Middle Volga regions, and took the honorary leadership step among medium-sharp onions in 2008. This variety is excellently stored and does not germinate until next year, it is universal and is great for planting (sowing), for growing, and also gives a unique taste to any dish on the table. Most often, the Shetan onion variety is found in Czech selection. It is recommended to use two-year maturation for growing Sevans of Shetan, and seeds for one year.
Shetan description has the following:
- of medium ripeness: the ripening from seeds is 85-98 days, and from sevka – 69-65;
- great time for landing – late April-early May;
- 1 square.m can bring 4-6 kg of onions;
- round shape, color – golden yellow;
- weight of onions from seeds – 40-50 g, from the set – 80-90 g;
- the percentage of maturation is 85-100%;
- there is the possibility of peronosporosis;
- retains 90% of the crop.
On photos on the Internet you can see that mainly the Shetan onion grows to large sizes, about 6-10 cm in diameter.
Characteristic of the Shetan
The Shetan onion is distinguished by the stability of the crop, good aging and shelf life. The demand for large farmers and summer residents is gaining momentum. Recent reviews of summer residents say that the most optimal distance between bulbs should be 5-9 cm, and between beds – 25-30 cm. The characteristic of the variety is as follows:
- the vegetable has a dense structure;
- the bulb is round, sometimes oblong;
- the color of the upper dry scales is golden;
- the color of the juicy scales is mostly white;
- the neck of the onion is medium in size;
- the taste is half spicy.
Shetana likes to take sun baths, therefore she is considered sun-loving variety. This item is important to consider when choosing a place to land. If the onion suffers from a lack of sun, this can lead to poor growth and, of course, low yields. 2-5 days before planting, sowing is best placed for 15-30 minutes in hot water, and then for 40-60 minutes in cold water.After that, you need to put it on the window for a couple of days to let the onion dry. It will be good if you protect the onion from possible fungi before planting, for this you need to put the seeds in a solution of copper sulfate for 1 hour.
It is best to plant the Shetan in early spring or late autumn. They say that it is better to plant a couple of weeks before the first cold weather: the root system of the onion has time to take root well, but it will not germinate. In spring, it is best to plant this vegetable when the air temperature does not drop below 10-15 ° C, and the soil has time to warm up.
Like any other onion variety, Shetan needs loosening the soil. Before the first shoots appear, it is better to carry out this procedure every day, this will help strengthen the Shetan root system, after the first shoots have sprouted, you can do this every 2-3 weeks.
It is better to fertilize the soil regularly. You can use chicken or cow droppings. It is advisable to carry out the first feeding at the first signs of the growth of a crossbow. The second time, when the leaves are already 10-16 cm, and then with the active growth of Shetan. Watering Shetan onions is best done 2-3 times a month. Immediately a month before harvesting, stop watering.
On average, the yield of onions in a one-year crop is 51-59 c / ha, two years crops – 258-291 kg / ha.The maximum yield of Shetan was recorded in the Moscow region, then 435 kg / ha were harvested. The value of the crossbow is determined by the following:
- constant harvest;
- excellent bulb shape;
- good percentage of maturation;
- immunity to fusarium rot .
Peronosporosis and methods of controlling it
As mentioned earlier, Shetan is resistant to the defeat of Fusarium rot, but as for peronosporosis, the culture is defenseless here . Onion peronosporosis is a fungal infection that spreads very quickly, and, unfortunately, it is almost impossible to understand where the onion is healthy, and where the diseased or the seeds are. This disease leads to a large loss of yield, its insidiousness is that you can see it only at the stage of spread: a faint grayish coating appears on the feathers at the stage of vegetative growth.
The first signs are strange yellow spots, then spores of yellow and violet color manifest themselves, often this manifests itself in the morning, especially when dew. The infection is very fast, and peak activity is observed during wet periods.Reviews say that the fight against it can be carried out as follows:
- you need to plant sowing or seeds on those areas of the earth where you did not notice the manifestation of the fungus;
- you should keep the distance between in rows, do not plant the crop too close to each other;
- the land before planting must be completely cleaned of previously planted vegetables and their seeds so that they do not sprout, and it is advisable to dig up the whole earth;
- you can’t plant onions in the same place for another 3-5 years, you need the earth to rest;
- before You should not forget to warm the bulbs with a planting.
It is also important to remember: onions love the neighborhood with carrots, pumpkins, cucumbers.
Onions Shetan has many positive qualities, it is perfect for both large farmers and small plots in the country. It is important to be careful: you can plant your crossbow only in sunny places.