Any gardener cultivating the ground can detect the larvae of the nutcracker. Due to appearance, he received the name “wireworm”. At this stage of development, the pest larva infects tubers, roots or rhizomes, as well as stems with fruits located above. Consider what you need to do if a wireworm appears in tomatoes.
- Causes of
- Methods of control
- Chemical method
Causes of occurrence
What can trigger the appearance or a multiple increase in the number of nutcracker larvae? leading to this problem may be different.
If the earth is oversaturated with moisture and has increased acidity, it is a favorable environment for the spread of the parasite.
Another reason may be soil brought in from another area within which the larvae of the pest have settled in. Their habitat may also become humus, used to fertilize the soil.
Since the rhizomes of weeds contain a lot of nutrients, they can be a favorite place for reproduction. Female nutcracker beetles are able to lay about 150 eggs each.
All this leads to the inevitable infection of the garden by wire-like larvae.
Tatyana Orlova (Candidate S.-x .Sciences):
A feed plant for adult individuals of the nutcracker beetle is a wheat grass. If there is a lot of this malicious weed on the site or nearby the garden, then we can expect its mass appearance. Be sure to eradicate wheatgrass in the area, thereby reducing the number of pests!
To combat the appearance of wireworms in a greenhouse with tomatoes, you can put in a hole for seedlings, one of the following components:
- A small amount of husk from onions. This will discourage the parasite from harming the plants.
- Mustard powder. Its protective effect affects not only tomatoes, but also other vegetables.
To prevent the growth of the harmful parasite population, it is necessary:
- to acquire tomato seeds only from trusted sellers;
- choose pink and burgundy tomatoes for planting: the beetle larva does not eat them;
- plant seedlings in soil that has recently been well loosened;
- to feed bushes with fertilizers, because the pest is more attracted to weakened plants.
If it was not possible to avoid damage to the soil, ridetsya patient and begin the painstaking and persistent struggle for the safety of the crop.
Ways of fighting
To exterminate the offspring of the nutcracker beetle with the help of simple agricultural techniques.
- First of all, it is necessary to reduce the acidity of the soil by adding lime, chalk, shell from chicken eggs . Wood ash or dolomite flour is a good choice – these are natural fertilizers containing natural minerals. You can add top dressing at different stages: during loosening or digging, at the time of planting.
- Next, pay attention to the distance between the planted bushes. The larger it is, the less favorable the conditions for the emergence and breeding of wire parasites.
- As often as possible to loosen the ground and let it warm under the sun – its rays negatively affect the life of the parasites.
- Timely get rid of weed grass, a nursery for pests. After weeding, weeds are best burned.
- Collecting and destroying the larva of the nutcracker and the bugs themselves is a laborious but effective process.
- It is advisable to plant crops between the beds that scare away the wireworm parasitizing on tomatoes . It can be beans, peas, buckwheat and much more from the fact that the insect does not eat.
Tatyana Orlova (candidate of agricultural sciences):
Systematic deep (up to 10-12 cm) loosening the soil from early spring reduces the number of wireworm larvae, because at that time (early spring) they are in the upper layers of the soil.
Some gardeners are forced to resort to arranging all kinds of traps in their plots, for example, on the bottom of small glass jars lay pieces of any root crops and bury such baits to the level of the neck – a pest crawled there for food
All these methods of control are quite soft and do not negatively affect the quality of the grown fruits. But if they turn out to be meaningless, you have to turn to a more aggressive chemical method.
To resort to the use of toxic chemicals is necessary only in exceptional cases. In this case, you must strictly adhere to the manufacturer’s instructions and do not neglect safety instructions.
- Drugs that are used for persecution is mainly made on the basis of the active ingredient diazonina. These are granulated Provotox, Bazudin, Diazonin 10-RG oil.
Tatyana Orlova (candidate of agricultural sciences):
Preparations based on diazonin have an increased hazard class. Therefore, in the area where such it is recommended that you don’t grow anything for one year!
- “Aktara” is a granular inteksidid acting in leaves and stems, but not affecting the fruits.
- To harmless chemicals a solution with a low potassium permanganate content, used in watering plants, can be attributed to fertilizers containing nitrogen, such as nitrate.
- Preparation t “Nemabakt” does not apply to chemicals. It is a biological product from scanty nematodes and bacteria that invade the pest and destroy it.
To maximize re it is advisable to combat the pest of tomatoes, using agronomic measures and special chemicals. As a result, the number of harmful individuals is significantly reduced, which favorably affects the yield.