Planting potatoes is labor-intensive process, especially if huge areas of land are allocated for plantations. You can pick up tubers in buckets, take a shovel and go to the garden. But, such work is very difficult and time consuming. A plow for planting potatoes can help in this matter.
- Plow characteristic
- Varieties <
- Production of a manual plow
- Advantages of the Vyatka plowman
- How to make
- Other home-made plows
- Disc <
- On wheels
There are many shapes and variations to this tool, some of which may do it yourself.
Character the plow’s source
A plow is understood as a special device, the design of which allows plowing the soil. The process of soil cultivation is carried out by a ploughshare – a wide metal pointed part of the device. traction, digs (weeds) beds. Some devices not only allow weeding the soil, but leave it after the ditch, which can be used for planting potatoes and other vegetables.
Varieties of the plow for planting potatoes are characterized not only by design features, but also by traction method (automated and manual).So, by design, there are 4 types of agricultural equipment. The farm uses a plow:
- Rotary. Most often presented in the form of a device for a walk-behind tractor or tractor. 4 plowshares allow not only digging rows, but also loosening the ground thanks to its rotating part.
- Disk. By the principle of work – a plane cutter. That is, the working part of the tool breaks through the soil under the action of traction, but does not recline the ground. Such equipment can be used both for tractors and walk-behind tractors, and manually. Do-it-yourself disk devices can be either single-row or double-row.
- Swivel. Requires mechanized traction. Plowing the land is done by several plowshares, and the depth with which the machine can dig a moat is determined by adjusting the landing of the support wheel.
- Manual. It is a modernized shovel with a lever for folding the soil.
Features of a manual plow
Planting potatoes under the plow of any of these varieties of potato planters is effective for large planting areas. But, for work in an ordinary summer garden, for one person, such devices will not be useful. It is most advisable to buy or make a type of manual traction plow with your own hands. Such a tool will not completely save a person from the need for manual work, but will significantly reduce the load on the back muscles and reduce the time spent in the garden.You can make your own manual plow in just a few hours. The main thing is to have drawings and necessary materials.
If the farm has a welding machine, as well as wheels from a bicycle, metal pipes, profiles and sheets, you can build a machine with a support wheel and control knobs (rotary). The thrust will be carried out by a person, and the device itself, thanks to its chassis, will freely move in a given direction. You can also assemble a two-row or even three-row disc cultivator. But, to use it, the forces of two people will be required, or agricultural machinery – a tractor or a walk-behind tractor.
Production of a manual plow
Hand-made plows of manual type are often used to plant potatoes in small gardens and dachas. The design of this tool allows you to dig a hole to use only one leg and arms, without bending the back.
The most popular option is the Vyatka plowman plow (the shovel of monk Gennady). Such a device can be adjusted in height, which is important for the convenience of the user. It has a wide lever for grasping hands and a regular canvas, like a shovel.
Advantages of the Vyatka plowman
Shovel of father Gennady has the following advantages:
- ease of work (the back always remains level, all actions are performed by hands );
- the digging speed is 4 times higher than when using a conventional shovel;
- one touch with a tool “draws” 2 times more earth than with a conventional device;
- the earth can be easily swiveled to the side, which is convenient for such a task.
In addition, the advantage of such a tool is that it fits any t n soil. The main thing is not to make mistakes when assembling the plow, to proceed step by step according to the instructions and the drawing, and also to use only high-quality materials in the design.
How to make
To make such a tool you will need steering wheel from an old bicycle, metal pipe, fittings and a sheet of cold-rolled stainless metal, 2 mm thick. As tools, you will need a welding machine, as well as a grinder or a file for metal. The plow manufacturing process itself is performed as follows:
- The pipe is cut (on the ground). This is the base of the shovel, its size should be convenient for the user. You can also take two pipes of different diameters and install a spring that will allow you to adjust the height of the frame for several people.
- The bicycle wheel is welded to one end of the pipe.
- A share is created.According to known dimensions, a part of the workpiece is cut out, bent and welded to the bottom of the metal pipe so that the end of the base of the plow protrudes 5-10 cm.
Before using the plow, the working parts of the device must be sharpened . If there are no rubber pads on the lever, it can be wrapped with electrical tape.
The process of planting potatoes with a manual plow takes only 10-20 seconds. Under the pressure of the foot, the shovel digs into the ground and when the lever is turned, the soil leans back to the side. For convenience, it is better to throw potatoes into the holes of another person. So, the process of planting potatoes with a plow will be faster.
As a hiller, such a tool is not used. His specialization is narrow. Shovel transfer is done manually. If you need to plant large areas, it is better to make an apparatus with shares and a wheel. In addition, you can build a two-row tool.
Other home-made plows
Planting a potato with a plow, its effectiveness and convenience, depend on many factors. The main ones are the size of the planted area, the type of soil and the presence of a tractor or walk-behind tractor.
The most common type of plow is a double-row disc tool. It consists of a metal frame with handles, which can be welded from a metal pipe or profile. Its shape may be different. The most convenient to build a rectangular frame.Disks are welded to the lower part of the structure, which, when the traction is being created, plows the ground.
Another variant of the plow is on wheels, with a share or gear forks. Structurally, such an apparatus is similar to a trolley, to the lower part of which a cutting tool is attached. To make such a tool is not difficult. If the farm has an ordinary trolley, a metal pipe is welded to its lower part perpendicular to the wheel shaft. A share is screwed to the top of the pipe, which can be cut from a sheet of metal.
Using the potato planter as well as the potato digger can significantly to accelerate the pace of work in the garden, with minimal expenditure of physical strength of a person. Hand tools, as well as those used for tractors and walk-behind tractors, are expensive. It is most advisable to make the device yourself. It is not difficult to do it, for certain vykah possession welding machine and cutting tools.