Tomatoes are far from the most capricious crop grown in greenhouses, but even optimally selected fertilizers, temperature and humidity do not always guarantee proper development and productivity. Sometimes the plant stops giving buds for no apparent reason. Consider why tomatoes do not bloom in the greenhouse, and already formed buds fall.
- Causes of
- Mistakes in care
- Prevention methods
- Prevention <
- Selection of planting material
Causes of the phenomenon
To determine the reason for the lack of flowering and to understand what to Do, you need to consider a number of prerequisites.In most cases, the cause is unfavorable conditions for cultivation.
The main reasons for lack of budding:
- Low air temperature (optimal temperature – 20-25 ° C) or soil. With a lack of heat, seedlings not only stop forming buds, but also die.
- Excess heat in the air (over 30 ° C).
- Excess or lack of moisture in the soil or air.
- Lack of pollination. In greenhouses, tomatoes need to be pollinated artificially.
You can determine whether a plant is comfortable in these conditions by its appearance. If the bush has too massive stems and leaves in the absence of flowers, it suffers a heat deficit. The lack of moisture can be easily determined by noticing cracked soil at the roots, twisted yellowed leaves and dry tops.
In addition to the main factors that can stop the budding of tomatoes, there are additional ones:
- lack of lighting and air circulation due to thickening of the cuttings;
- potassium deficiency or phosphorus with a lack of fertilizers;
- oversaturation with nitrogen during an overabundance of organic fertilizers (manure, compost);
- various diseases;
- treatment of seedlings with pesticides.
Sometimes a plant simply does not have the strength to form buds. Multiple and large-fruited tomatoes are subject to this. In such varieties, it is recommended to control the number of ovaries. It is better to choose tomatoes with medium fruits. They are less susceptible to falling ovaries.
Errors in leaving
It happens that the absence of flowering or falling of formed buds on tomatoes is caused not only by external factors. Due to the lack of experience or the necessary information, gardeners themselves can do things that negatively affect the budding of the crop.
The most common mistakes are:
- growing certain varieties from their own planting material (seeds) : such tomatoes will not bear fruit;
- processing by pesticides of bushes that are already blooming:
- incorrectly selected location of the greenhouse regarding access to sunlight (lack of heat);
- is unnecessary dense planting, in which they interfere with each other normally and and develop.
Tatyana Orlova (Candidate of Agricultural Sciences):
For cultivation in greenhouses, mainly plants with high growth and yield strength are used . These are, as a rule, first-generation hybrids designated on the package as F1. It’s not worth leaving fruits from these plants for seeds, because during hybridization, plants with different biological properties could be used. In the second generation, these seeds can give a negative result, you can get a powerful plant, but with small fruits of low quality and almost not blooming.
If you correctly and timely establish the reason why new tomatoes are not formed flowers, and those that have already formed fall off, you can choose effective measures to restore the budding of tomatoes.
After establishing the reason If plant growth is delayed, it must be immediately eliminated. The sooner favorable conditions for the seedling are restored, the greater are the chances for the normal growth and development of the plant.
To restore comfortable conditions, it is necessary:
- Set a suitable temperature in the greenhouse (use heaters during frosts).
- Pour paths between seedlings with cool water to increase humidity and temperature. This should be done before noon to prevent condensation.
- Water the plants with warm water to raise the temperature by a couple of degrees (only if the outdoor temperature is not more than 15 ° C).
- Ventilate the greenhouses for a while from time to time for the influx of fresh air.
- Carry out artificial pollination or lure bees by placing melliferous flowers in the greenhouse.
- Get rid of all the empty flowers so that the seedling will direct its efforts to form new buds.
When watering a plant, you should always pay attention to the temperature in dy. If it is too low, the roots of the plant will experience stress, and the budding process will stop.
Tomato is a crop that is sensitive to fungal diseases, therefore, before planting, it is imperative to disinfect the seeds (with manganese solution) and the soil (with steam, heating or a solution of manganese). If the bush is infected with a fungus or insects, it is necessary to start fighting them immediately.
Tatyana Orlova (Ph.D.Sciences):
One of the simple ways of disinfecting the soil in a thermal greenhouse is spilling boiling water. Immediately after this, the soil in the greenhouse is covered with tarpaulin so that it does not cool down quickly. This makes it possible in the spring not only to sanitize the topsoil, but also to warm it up so that planting work can begin earlier.
To prevent problems with budding regular preventive measures should be taken. Their timeliness can greatly reduce the risk of seedling damage.
First of all, in order to prevent the loss of flowers from tomatoes, the crop needs to be provided on time.
There are several rules that should be followed:
- Do not create an excess of nitrogen fertilizers in the soil when tomatoes bloom.
- Before flowering, fertilize the soil with double superphosphate and potassium sulfate.
- Monitor air humidity: ideal in the greenhouse will be 60%.
- Stick to low temperature fluctuations within 20-25 ° C.
- Twice a week, abundantly water flowering shrubs under the root
- Periodically loosen the ground for better air circulation.
The most important principles of prevention are methodology and timeliness of implementation, as well as compliance with all recommendations.
Selection of planting material
To minimize the risk of plant damage, you need to know the rules for preparing planting material, caring for the plant and creating optimal conditions for crop growth.
When buying seeds for greenhouse cultivation, you need to pay attention to their quality, as well as the expiration dates indicated on the package. Old planting material can cause poor budding and falling flowers.
The color of tomato seedlings in the greenhouse drops for various reasons, starting from external negative factors and ending with the mistakes of gardeners, however, all these problems can be corrected if Determine the cause and eliminate it.
To minimize the risk, it is recommended to plant several types of tomatoes that are resistant to high or low temperatures. In this case, even if there are no ovaries in one of the species, you can expect to harvest another varieties.